Amashova 2013

fabs

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Weather is looking *** for Sunday.

Max. 12 - 14 degrees, drizzle, and the south-easter will be blowing. Essentially this means a head wind, and the SE is a cold wind. Wind chill should bring perceived temps down into single digits.

The descent down Fields Hill should be an interesting one if it's slick.

Pack the thermals, folks.

Just my type of conditions!!! :thumbup:

Reminds me of the Etape last year. Descent of Tourmalet was EXTREMELY interest in the wet with mist that you couldn't see 10m in front of you!

You do learn to descent in the wet very quickly. Haha

Edited by Andyr249

Max. 12 - 14 degrees, drizzle, and the south-easter will be blowing. Essentially this means a head wind, and the SE is a cold wind. Wind chill should bring perceived temps down into single digits.

I'm like Nibali..... wishing for it to be cold and wet :whistling:

Well maybe its a blessing to ride into the wind if its wet and downhill. #bettertocrashat35km/hourthan70km

Well maybe its a blessing to ride into the wind if its wet and downhill. #bettertocrashat35km/hourthan70km

new frame, yes please :ph34r:

My problem is that since this is my first race in years (last race was '99 XCO Nationals), I don't have a seeding.

So they stuck me in P batch (2nd last batch).

I've got a 106km individual TT to look forward to, and into a cold/wet head wind the whole way. Fun, fun, fun! :clap:

Edited by tombeej

My problem is that since this is my first race in years (last race was '99 XCO Nationals), I don't have a seeding.

So they stuck me in P batch (2nd last batch).

I've got a 106km individual TT to look forward to, and into a cold/wet head wind the whole way. Fun, fun, fun! :clap:

Sounds about right

What should be my approach to this race, being my first Amashova 106km (I have ridden the 35km twice)?

I am not a fast rider, nor am I a tortoise. None of my regular riding buddies are starting in my batch or nearby batches. Do I ride the entire route on my own? What is race etiquitte regarding drafting? Is it ok to hop into a line? Will people not get pissed off with me for stealing free draft? My thoughts are that good manners dictate that I take a turn breaking the wind as well, but my worry is that I will slow down the pack.

As a base for my fitness, I did the Durban Engen Challenge in 3:24. I am aiming to finish the Shova in 4:30. I ride 200km per week on average, with just one big 80-100km ride per week.

What should be my approach to this race, being my first Amashova 106km (I have ridden the 35km twice)?

I am not a fast rider, nor am I a tortoise. None of my regular riding buddies are starting in my batch or nearby batches. Do I ride the entire route on my own? What is race etiquitte regarding drafting? Is it ok to hop into a line? Will people not get pissed off with me for stealing free draft? My thoughts are that good manners dictate that I take a turn breaking the wind as well, but my worry is that I will slow down the pack.

As a base for my fitness, I did the Durban Engen Challenge in 3:24. I am aiming to finish the Shova in 4:30. I ride 200km per week on average, with just one big 80-100km ride per week.

If you are doing 200km per week, then you should be aiming for close on 3 hour. If not then those 200km a week are done very incorrectly.

If you are doing 200km per week, then you should be aiming for close on 3 hour. If not then those 200km a week are done very incorrectly.

So, context. About 60km of the riding is actually 2 days commute done the long way around to incorporate some hills. Around 60km will be circuit training on flat surface. The balance of my riding will be the big ride, and sometimes a smaller ride on sundays if i have time. I know I cannot do sub 3. I ride with sub 3 riders now and then and I take huge strain. Especially on the hills(training more hills now). I am just trying to complete the shova to set a base time as I have been riding seriously for 6 months.

Just approach it like you did the Engen race (if you did the long distance which from the time you gave it sounds like you did).

Try not to go too hard on the first hill. Rather find a bunch that you are comfortable with and not pushing in the red too much.

As for drafting, you can draft if there is a big group. If you in a smaller group then you will have to work.

Edited by Andyr249

Will people not get pissed off with me for stealing free draft? My thoughts are that good manners dictate that I take a turn breaking the wind as well, but my worry is that I will slow down the pack.

No. In a group of 200 or whatever no one will care. Just don't sit on second wheel off the front and expect not to have to take a turn. Hang in the middle/back of the bunch and relax. Focus on keeping your lines rather and not piss the outoppies off who owns the sport of cycling.

Then if you have strength later on and feel you can contribute go for it. Oh and keep your eyes open if it is wet and fast then **** is likely to happen at some point :eek:.

I did the long Engen Race. I just feel bad to draft without contributing, but will feel bad if I take a turn to lead and then slow everyone down (will also be embarrasing). I want to approach the race cautiously and not go all out too soon. Want to make sure I have enough energy throughout.

I did the long Engen Race. I just feel bad to draft without contributing, but will feel bad if I take a turn to lead and then slow everyone down (will also be embarrasing). I want to approach the race cautiously and not go all out too soon. Want to make sure I have enough energy throughout.

Ride the first hill (Fox) at your pace and most likely a small group will form around you or you will join a smaller group. Try work with the group whilst it is smaller but then sit in as the group gets bigger and save energy to help out later on when some splitting happens during the race. If you do go to the front and are going too fast or too slow, believe me you will hear about it quickly:)

Seems like you have been riding quite a lot (MUCH more than me!!)...so best of luck.

Draft... and then sprint past everyone for the win. It's not only not against the rules, it's actually a very respected racing tactic. Ask all the sprinters in the world.