PPA Annual General Meeting 2013

Icycling

Monday 02 September 2013, at 18:00 for 18h30 at the Canal Walk Auditorium, Canal Walk Shopping Centre.

Cyclist, if you are happy with what PPA is doing at the moment - then no need to go to the AGM, your choice!

If you are unhappy and feel they should be doing more and using (all) their funds on cycling and not (a fair portion) on unite trust then I would suggest going to the AGM but 1st nominate paid members (yourself included) who are willing to stand on the committee who you feel can make correct changes - if you know of no such people then be happy with what you are getting from PPA.

From what I can see the PPA road cycling calendar (fun ride and league races) is dying - yet the reason for PPA having excess funding is that they are 50% profit beneficiaries of the Argus cycle tour - which is a road cycling - funride / racing event - to me this just does not add up!

"Members are reminded that in terms of clause 4.2 of the constitution, nomination of candidates for election to the committee shall be in writing, signed by the member and accompanied by the written consent of the candidate nominated, so as to be received at the domicilium of the Association, P O Box 665, Rondebosch 7701 or at the physical address at 9 Hill Park Lane, Mowbray, not later than five days before the meeting."

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:ph34r: Are you trying to say that you would like a few unhappy PPA members to take over so they can change things to their liking? What about the many happy members? Edited by DJR

Then let the happy member be happy - I am not saying PPA should not continue with their good work they are already doing - they should! But to only do this means the association is standing still (in cycling) which actually means moving backwards.

But if some members feel more funds should still be spent on cycling PPA can still do this at ZERO expense to what they are currently doing for cycling only to an expense to their investment (non cycling) portfolio.

I, as a road rider do feel that the road ride seem to be getting less and less each year. In this post already it has been questioned - will their even be a Spring league? We all know that PPA stopped putting on The Giro del Capo a few years back - an event where may pro road who went onto bigger and better things participated in. Even Chris Froome has finished 2nd in the Giro del Capo in years gone by - and we all know his accomplishments this year!

I cannot off the top of my head recall when the current chairman became the chairman - but I think it is more than 8 years back maybe even more than 10 years - The US president may only stand 2 terms (8 years), I think even in RSA the president may only stand 2 terms (10 years). This is not to say the current chairman is or is not doing a good job - but I think even the current PPA committee would welcome new blood on the committee - it is important for any organization to get new fresh ideas! Whether the chairman should change that is for the new committee to decide as the elected committee decide on who to elect as the chairman. Assuming the current chairman is still willing to stand would anybody else on the committee be willing to take on that role of chairman!

I know that 1 committee member resigned this years so currently their could be spots open on the committee - this is meant to be a 12 person committee.

I agree there needs new blood and happy to stand ... Road cycling has certainly taken a back seat these past few years..

Anybody nominated anybody yet? Just entered my 31st Argus cycle tour - and after about an hour of deliberation I still renewed my PPA membership, not sure exactly why!

Anybody nominated anybody yet? Just entered my 31st Argus cycle tour - and after about an hour of deliberation I still renewed my PPA membership, not sure exactly why!

So you can go to the AGM vote with something other than your wallet?! :thumbup:

one of my mates called the ppa today to enquire about "league" entries and the person he spoke to couldn't say whether the t d worcester will be a league event or not. i think this is the beginning of the end.

I've never taken the time to understand club structures and their membership offerings, but what I get from all the talk is it's in a sad state. If I was wanting to join a club, anywhere in SA, who would you recommend and why? Is there one??

Should be a poll..

one of my mates called the ppa today to enquire about "league" entries and the person he spoke to couldn't say whether the t d worcester will be a league event or not. i think this is the beginning of the end.

i also called on Wednesday & I could tell this person was gatvol already (yet another person calling to query the league) anyway the answer was they can't organise the league until the legal matters are sorted between ppa & CSa & I think negotiations was still ongoing at the time of my call.

HHMMM.....it was "business as usual" from the ppa in one of its most recent communications. if they haven't made up their minds by now i can't see 'league' racing happening for the T D Worcester.

Not much time left to get new nominations in! Spoke with the office manager yesterday and was told only 4 nominations were in but their 6 spots.