Wheel flex

Pieter1

Hey guys.

I'm thinking there is probably not much that can be done about wheel flex but is there something that you can do to stop them flexing to much? My rear wheel rubs against my frame when I stand and peddle. Its a DT Swiss M520 29" rim.

Shot guys!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, in my case I know that the flex is more a function of my weight rather than my power. Now - to find the lightest, stiffest, most affordable rims out there. I think the rule is only pick two out of the three.

In my case most affordable and stiffest would be the only two options. I have not had the spokes looked at, mabey that would be the best option. Liking the too much power etc stuff tho! Hehehehe.

Rubs the frame :eek: wow!! thats a lot of flex.

Don't know much about DT Swiss rims, but i had a similar issue, not as bad as you though. I built up ZTR rims but had them triple lace the spokes. Still not as rigid as a 26er but made a huge difference.

Rubs the frame :eek: wow!! thats a lot of flex.

Don't know much about DT Swiss rims, but i had a similar issue, not as bad as you though. I built up ZTR rims but had them triple lace the spokes. Still not as rigid as a 26er but made a huge difference.

I have a 2.2 Kenda Karma on the rim and there is about 8-9mm of clearance between the rim and the frame. I can't afford new rims tho so I'm hoping maybe just tightening the spokes will help?

I have a 2.2 Kenda Karma on the rim and there is about 8-9mm of clearance between the rim and the frame. I can't afford new rims tho so I'm hoping maybe just tightening the spokes will help?

Noticed this on the inbred too. What you could try is, but it will probably mean adding or removing extra links on your chain. Anyway i know with the wheel i think all the forward you get slightly more tyre clearance. Not near by bike to check now. Also ran the kenda nevagal 2.25 i think they were. Super dik tekkies. I bashed my previous rims up they were untrue(rideable), the sliding the wheel slightly forward in the dropouts worked for me!

Noticed this on the inbred too. What you could try is, but it will probably mean adding or removing extra links on your chain. Anyway i know with the wheel i think all the forward you get slightly more tyre clearance. Not near by bike to check now. Also ran the kenda nevagal 2.25 i think they were. Super dik tekkies. I bashed my previous rims up they were untrue(rideable), the sliding the wheel slightly forward in the dropouts worked for me!

Yea they are pretty fat. I'll have a look but I think I'm in the middle of that bend.

If it is a QR then try replacing the skewer. Had the same problem with my front wheel.

I'll have a look at this to. Thanks!

You cannot reduce flex by increasing spoke tension. Steel stretches in a linear fashion.

Let's say 1kg of weight makes the spoke stretch 10mm. If you add one kg, then it stretches another 10mm and so on and so on. Therefore, once there is tension in the spokes, the wheels are at their maximum rigidity and adding more tension doesn't make them stiffer.

Your only solution is either thicker spokes, more spokes or a stiffer rim. Lightweight wheels are not all they're cut out to be.

You cannot reduce flex by increasing spoke tension. Steel stretches in a linear fashion.

Let's say 1kg of weight makes the spoke stretch 10mm. If you add one kg, then it stretches another 10mm and so on and so on. Therefore, once there is tension in the spokes, the wheels are at their maximum rigidity and adding more tension doesn't make them stiffer.

Your only solution is either thicker spokes, more spokes or a stiffer rim. Lightweight wheels are not all they're cut out to be.

Thanks Johan. Busy losing weight so I'll ride more and stand and peddle less then.