So this Crater Cruise thingy - any good?

Joe Low

Yes I did do a search, but didnt come up with much.

Quite fancy the idea of going to "gay Parys" and doing the 101kms or similar. The only thing that would stop me would be if there were bottlenecks and queuing en-route.

Any other info much appreciated - and i did see a thread where one of the women riders get knocked off by an impala a couple of years back on this one.

So - is it a good event?

No q'ing or bottlenecks, just miles and miles of corrugated dirt road with a bump halfway & a climb over a koppie near the end.

Very nice event. Go for it. Cheap accommodation, brilliant food, okay route with plenty to keep you busy with.

An event thats on my calender every year :thumbup:

No q'ing or bottlenecks, just miles and miles of corrugated dirt road with a bump halfway & a climb over a koppie near the end.

there's about 16km of single track if I remember correctly.

there's about 16km of single track if I remember correctly.

Sounds about right, there is a singletrack section early on and again near the end.

Thanks for all of that - sounds fine, with limited opportunities for serious injury.

I agree nsBB the clock-out/clock-in is a nice gimmick.

Thanks for all of that - sounds fine, with limited opportunities for serious injury.

I agree nsBB the clock-out/clock-in is a nice gimmick.

And I'll be there, bout time we shoot the breeze a bit :)

The worst thing about the 101 is the heat (and maybe the corrugations). Make a weekend of it. Go on Friday, eat at Rubys. Do the 101km. Go to the bar below Hoi Polloi on the main drag and drink beer. They have 50+ labels on the premises. Dinner at Hoi Polloi. Do the 56km. Lunch at one of the other places. Home time. Lekker weekend.

Who knows, maybe they grade the roads before the event this year??? One can only hope. I live there sometimes so I'm biased, but no bottle necks, good waterpoints with some food towards the end with some single track every now and then to keep it interesting.

Other places to eat- The chinese place next to spur (Very very good- Kenny is a legend), O's down by the river and Plum tree, which is opposite Hoi Polloi.

If you go "out" at night, take your spanner in your sock and avoid outlaws.