Tips for the Bridge Cape Pioneer Trek 2013

Guest Bridge SA

Guest Bridge SA

Have you been registered for the Bridge Cape Pioneer Trek 2013 yet? If so - What tips and tricks do have that you can share with the other participants and spectators of the Bridge Cape Pioneer Trek 2013?

Not yet registered or not participating in the 2013 Race event? No worries - Feel free to share your tips and tricks here that you think might come in handy at this years event.

Video's, Photos, Text posts all welcome!

Thanks for your support.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bridge SA

Requirements & Recommended goods for the 2013 Bridge Cape Pioneer Trek Some of the things you should bring:

• a mobile phone
  • first aid kit
  • bike repair tools
  • fluid
  • clothing
  • supplements
  • eye protection

Anything else you can think of?Please feel free to share your tips, tricks and any recomendations.View the original article on the Bridge Cape Pioneer Trek Website:

Edited by Bridge SA

Guest Bridge SA

Watch out for bees!

Lol - Yes, Who can forget the bee incident.

Unfortunately none of us have control over mother nature...So remember your medication for any allergies, including bees.

Guest Bridge SA

Duct Tape

Yes! A little bit of Duct Tape have saved lives before! Make sure you remember yours!

Thanks for the Tip @rpedro!

Requirements & Recommended goods for the 2013 Bridge Cape Pioneer Trek Some of the things you should bring:

• a mobile phone
  • first aid kit
  • bike repair tools
  • fluid
  • clothing
  • supplements
  • eye protection

Anything else you can think of?Please feel free to share your tips, tricks and any recomendations.View the original article on the Bridge Cape Pioneer Trek Website:

The 'first aid kit' always makes me smile..

1. If you take a kit worth anything, where are you going to put it. It will be big. With some splints and a few rolls of crepe bandage and a neck collar. And maybe a few bags of IV fluids.
  2. If you take something small. what are you going to achieve with your 2 band aids?

Maybe I read to much 'The far side' comics by Gary Larsen when I was younger.

Guest Bridge SA

The 'first aid kit' always makes me smile..

1. If you take a kit worth anything, where are you going to put it. It will be big. With some splints and a few rolls of crepe bandage and a neck collar. And maybe a few bags of IV fluids.

2. If you take something small. what are you going to achieve with your 2 band aids?

Maybe I read to much 'The far side' comics by Gary Larsen when I was younger.

Yes - It's a bit of a catch 22.

There are onsite medic's and physiotherapists - in case of an emergency it hopefully wont take too long for the medics and appropriate support to reach you. Maybe put a small medical bag under your bike seat next to your tools or if you are riding in a team , have one person carry the tools and the other carry the medical and other supplies if it seems like a viable option for the riders themselves.

You never know when you might need a bit of anti septic cream or plasters - especially if you are in the field and cant / don't want to wait for medical support to reach you or until you reach the next water point. It's totally up to the rider, if they want to bring extra medical supplies or not, but the medical kit still comes strongly recommended by the event organizers.

Guest Bridge SA

Here's another tip - Try to do this as little as possible during the 7 Days of Racing....

Guest Bridge SA

Remember your GoPro or other types of helmet / cycling camera's.

As the memories are best preserved in digital format and is great to share with other riders and even spectators.

Be sure to share your video's and Photos with us. We would love to see them.

My rules to ride by:

1. Have fun,
  2. Don't get too serious, this is not your day job, refer to rule 1,
  3. If the route get's really tough (which it will at some point), refer to rule 1 and rule 2,
  4. Look in front of you, but don't forget to look around too - you are riding through some of the most spectacular areas in South Africa - where very few people will ever have the privelege to ride,
  5. When it gets really wet (cold, hot, etc.), refer to rule 1.