Max weight on wheels

IndianRoadie

There is no way that a Ksyrium will last for any reasonable length of time. Same for anything with less than 36 spokes. There are two issues at play here. 1) Enough stiffness so that the wheels don't touch the brake blocks when pedaling out of saddle and 2) reasonable durability.

You can't expect great durability with any wheel at that type of load but you can expect perfect strength and stiffness, provided the right rim is chosen.

It will have to be a heavy rim (Open PRO is nowadays super lightweight and won't last), 36 spokes and a strong hub - Shimano 105 or similar, with a steel axle.

I'm thinking old style deep-section alu rim. Wolber, Fir, etc.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously guys, there is no way that a standard Mavic wheel will be strong enough. Agree with above poster, you will need to have to get a reputable wheel builder to build him a strong 36 spoke wheelset

Uh... what are "standard" Mavic wheels? Or any brand for that matter?

If you talking 29er, my brother in law is around the 110kg mark with some serious power, he runs stans Arch Ex rims with no hassles.

If you talking 26 inch, Mavic XC717 rim is awesome. Had a pair built on XT hubs with double butted DT spokes, loved them. Bike was stolen 2 years ago. But a brilliant wheelset

Okay I don't often like admitting but with my winter fat I am a very porky 115kg, and ride a little stupid sometimes. I have changed from Stan's Crest rims to Arch EX. I didn't pretzel the Crest, but it was very soft after a year. These were Ruan Deysel built wheels, so not badly built.

My vote , well built Arch EX.

There is no way that a Ksyrium will last for any reasonable length of time. Same for anything with less than 36 spokes. There are two issues at play here. 1) Enough stiffness so that the wheels don't touch the brake blocks when pedaling out of saddle and 2) reasonable durability.

You can't expect great durability with any wheel at that type of load but you can expect perfect strength and stiffness, provided the right rim is chosen.

It will have to be a heavy rim (Open PRO is nowadays super lightweight and won't last), 36 spokes and a strong hub - Shimano 105 or similar, with a steel axle.

I'm thinking old style deep-section alu rim. Wolber, Fir, etc.

How about wiring the crosses as well. I used this on a tandem. Not sure it will help, but will make the wheels stiff?

I was 145kg last year and started with a Silverback Stride MTB with Alex rims 26 inch wheels - spokes were pinging sometimes until I whacked the tyre pressure up to full then that stopped. No problems with this bike or wheels.

I am now 126kg and bought a Merida Ridelite 91 with Alex Racelite rims and 32 spokes - no problems - wheels true and no signs of distress.

I also have a Silverback Vida 29 and again no problems tested up to 130kg.

At 140kg - depending what the body composition is I would suggest that the strongest wheels would be 26 MTB wheels and then get down to 125kg and there are far more options.

Try these!

http://www.spinergy.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=20&products_id=83

or

http://www.spinergy.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=20&products_id=81

PBO Fiber Spoke Technology - Available only from Spinergy

Spinergy engineers have invented a revolutionary technology for stronger, lighter and faster wheels. Introducing PBO Fiber Spoke Technology. Every PBO spoke contains over 30,000 strands of polyphenylene bensobisoxazole fiber, delivering 3-times the strength of stainless steel at just half the weight.

Uh... what are "standard" Mavic wheels? Or any brand for that matter?

By standard I mean factory build brand name wheels like Mavic, Campagnolo, Shimano, Easton etc. Most of these wheels have a spoke configuration of 20/16 and will not last long for a rider of 140kg.

If you talking 29er, my brother in law is around the 110kg mark with some serious power, he runs stans Arch Ex rims with no hassles.

If you talking 26 inch, Mavic XC717 rim is awesome. Had a pair built on XT hubs with double butted DT spokes, loved them. Bike was stolen 2 years ago. But a brilliant wheelset

A well built set of 32hole rims on road or mtb hubs will last for years.

Was your friend on a 29er?

Yip riding a 29er - Cannondale lefty carbon1

How about wiring the crosses as well. I used this on a tandem. Not sure it will help, but will make the wheels stiff?

In The Bicycle Wheel by Jobst Brandt, some measurements were done on the stiffness of tie-and-solder wheels and the result was insignificant. At the end of the day, you want to engineer the wheel right, not bolt on a stiffner dodahd. That means heavy rim, lots of spokes and a beefy hub.

hi guys

unfortunately we were unable to come up with cash for a new wheel :-( i feel horrible for the guy.

i lent him my mountain bike for now. i still need to add slicks to it but atleast he will be cycling

trouble we having is the guy saved up for a bike and we blew the entire budget on a nice cannondale. then ofcourse we bought him kit and a helmet

attached is a pic of the wheel

i have been calling around but we cant seem to find a suitable( which is in budget) replacement for the amount we have.

we wanted to maybe just buy a rim ( Marvic krysium ) and respoke it using the 105 hub it has on. again out of budget

i have called Cyclosports who said they might be able to fix the wheel but, i am not sure about that.

really stuck now and repairing is the cheapest option.

any further thoughts guys ?

post-39481-0-39099700-1377694364_thumb.jpg

Just my 2c, that rim is toast, is quite a bad kink in it.

I would consider a set of tandem wheels, or you will haveto spend a large amoun tof cash on a custom set of wheels with strong rims and a high spoke count.

Good luck

Well its a good thing you bought a Cannondale, one of the very few bikes that will carry a big guy.

So its not money wasted at all, the frame is a good solid and strong frame (Looks like Caad 4 by the colour), if so that's nice and strong.

Chat to a wheel builder, a bike shop will sell you what ever the flavour of the month is.

A reputable wheel builder will give you solid advice regarding the individuals needs.

105 hub is a good, affordable start. Get a nice strong rim, one that is welded and not pinned at the joint, and then spend the money on good quality double butted spokes. Make sure they are double butted.

The wheel builder will lace the wheel accordingly.