Converting to 1 by 10 on MTB

RicovdM

I'm currently running a 3 by 10 setup, but thinking of converting my mtb to a 1 by 10 or if needed 2 by 10 drivetrain.

I like the idea of 1 by 10 more as it is simple and will cost way less.

Im not the best climber (average), so I am a bit apprehensive.

If I convert, I will probably be running a 34T chainring up front with a 11-36 cassette. Using a SRAM X9 type 2 rear dr and will get a chainguide if needed.

I live in Bloemfontein, so no real mountains, but I would like to do longer rides (80 - 100km) and would also like to be ale to do races in Natal and Nelspruit area now and then as well as some stage races.

Will I be running out of gears or will a change of chainring (maybe a 32T or 30T) if I know that im going to be climbing more sort out this problem?

Does anybody have any experience with this setup? any comment would be helpful.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to The Hub.

I changed from a 2x10 setup, running 22/36 with 11/36 cassette, to a 1x10 with a 33t chainring. I live in Cape Town and when I cycle often enough and keep the average Joe fitness up I can pedal to most places I need to climb to. Can't imagine Bloem being too much of a challenge, but Natal and Nelspruit will challenge you.

Before you make the change take careful note of the gears you climb and descent in then calculate from there what you need to run to cover those extremes best. I don't regret going 1x10

Welcome to The Hub.

I changed from a 2x10 setup, running 22/36 with 11/36 cassette, to a 1x10 with a 33t chainring. I live in Cape Town and when I cycle often enough and keep the average Joe fitness up I can pedal to most places I need to climb to. Can't imagine Bloem being too much of a challenge, but Natal and Nelspruit will challenge you.

Before you make the change take careful note of the gears you climb and descent in then calculate from there what you need to run to cover those extremes best. I don't regret going 1x10

Thanks for the reply Crow

I've been testing myself by only riding in my middle chainring and have not found anything in my area that i couldn't ride so far.

Personally I wouldn't go 1x on a bike that I'm going to spend time on. It's fine as a commuter or lap racer, but it's draining on marathons.

My commuter is 1x9. I've chucked it around a couple of laps in team relays and it was fine. Slower than a 3x9 setup, but fine.

If you're not a beats of a cycling man you're gonna need your granny in the Sabie areas.

I'm going 1x9 soon. Actually looking forward to making it a bit harder for myself.

Edited by Nick.

I went 1x10 a month or 2 ago. Best is to use a gear ratio calculator and compare the ranges of what you currently have and what you want to get. I did this and cycled around for a month with the gears I identify in the comparison.

Have already gone 1 x 10, but will have my own poor mans XX1 11-41 cassette soon. (not General Lee conversion)

Will post pics when I do it.

I'm going 1x9 soon. Actually looking forward to making it a bit harder for myself.

Yes you are.... Probably next week when you get back from holiday......

Have already gone 1 x 10, but will have my own poor mans XX1 11-41 cassette soon. (not General Lee conversion)

Will post pics when I do it.

Hi Flowta

Will the 11-41 cassette still be 1 by 10?

If i can do that without having to convert my rear wheel to fit an 11 speed cassette and new shifters & rear dr etc I will definitely consider that.

did the conversion to 1x10 34 front and 11/34 back , 11.36 would be better and 10/42 even better

on races when your legs are tired thats when the real test comes

overall very happy with the simple setup and defnitly a good test for moving towards x01 or xx1 - my answer yes I would

Love the fact that the chain stays on no matter what and my service and settings ( diy ) much simpler

I think allot will change in the next 2-3 years with this idea of 1x11 taking off - well see different frame designs soon due to no front derailer and I see it allot more at races already

its defnitly a challenge for training harder to be able to maintain the strenght in your legs with less gears

Hi Flowta

Will the 11-41 cassette still be 1 by 10?

If i can do that without having to convert my rear wheel to fit an 11 speed cassette and new shifters & rear dr etc I will definitely consider that.

Yes it will be. The General Lee conversion from Evobikes will give you 11-40 in 10 speed too

Yes it will be. The General Lee conversion from Evobikes will give you 11-40 in 10 speed too

Thanx Flowta

I had a look on the evobikes site.

Its not cheap, but will give me a much better range of gears. 1 by 10 seems like an attractive option using the general lee conversion.

did the conversion to 1x10 34 front and 11/34 back , 11.36 would be better and 10/42 even better

on races when your legs are tired thats when the real test comes

overall very happy with the simple setup and defnitly a good test for moving towards x01 or xx1 - my answer yes I would

Love the fact that the chain stays on no matter what and my service and settings ( diy ) much simpler

I think allot will change in the next 2-3 years with this idea of 1x11 taking off - well see different frame designs soon due to no front derailer and I see it allot more at races already

its defnitly a challenge for training harder to be able to maintain the strenght in your legs with less gears

Train on a single speed.... seriously, Im not kidding.

The feel of resistance on the pedals, climbing with a slower cadence and teaching your legs to recover on the flats is a big part of making the 1x work for you.

The SS offers you all that. Its a bit like swimming in a rugby jersey.... the second you take it off you feel like you are flying and your recovery time on the bike speeds up hugely.

For once I am not stirring the pot promoting single speeds but quite seriously touting them as a real training tool....

i have a normal 10 speed cassette on my mtg and one by 10 with an 28 at the front for xco and klapperkop. if your rear derailer is long enough no chain guide will be needed.

i have a normal 10 speed cassette on my mtg and one by 10 with an 28 at the front for xco and klapperkop. if your rear derailer is long enough no chain guide will be needed.

What's a 'normal' 10 speed cassette???

What's a 'normal' 10 speed cassette???

the one you get on every 10speed mtb sold these days? or must i tell you the tooth shape and groove width?