DT Swiss splined hub binding

Melch

Hi

I recently bought a DT swiss x1600 wheelset. It has a splined hub. The hub looks the same as the DT swiss 240 hub but I cant find exact details on the hubs used for these wheels. The freehub spins freely when not mounted in the bike but as soon as I place any pressure on the QR the free hub tightens up and does not spin, the chain goes completely slack. Has anyone had similar problems with DT swiss hubs before and found a solution to the problem.

Thanks for the help

post-2596-0-20126600-1377949290_thumb.jpg

post-2596-0-54490200-1377949317_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...

Missing a spacer? Or the spline unit is not fully seated in the hub - so the outer ratchet catches on it when QR is tensioned?

Or the freebody inner bearing is not fully seated leaving insufficient axial freeplay for the outer ratchet to slide in its splines (it needs to be able to slide at least the the depth of the ratchet teeth in order to disengage).

Or one of the springs is incorrectly placed?

There is a spacer on the axle, not clear on the pics given but if that is missing then when clamped in the frame it will seize up.

In the bottom picture there's a silver spacer on the axle that keeps the springs centred and connects the inner bearing races. My guess is you're missing that.

Also be sure that the seal between the hub and free body is fitted tightly into the hub.  You may need to tap it in.

If the ratchet mech was removed from the hub to replace the bearing make sure that the thin washer fitted between the hub/bearing and the mechanism was replaced.  If not the lower spring will snag on the bearing seal.

• 2 years later...

I have a similar issue, but with a hope pro 4 hub, as soon as I fit it to the frame the freebody tightens up, anybody had this issue on a hope hub?

I have a similar issue, but with a hope pro 4 hub, as soon as I fit it to the frame the freebody tightens up, anybody had this issue on a hope hub?

Yup. You're either missing the spacer between the hub bearing and the freehub bearing or the plastic freehub seal isn't seated properly.

What Droo said... had exactly this issue on a boost rear hub. was missing that little spacer and as soon as the axle was tightened, it bound up. easy to fix - IF you have that spacer

Yup. You're either missing the spacer between the hub bearing and the freehub bearing or the plastic freehub seal isn't seated properly.

After installing new bearings in mine, this was may problem. I did not seat the bearings in the freehub properly.

Hi Melch, Marc here from Get Stoked Distribution (distributor for DT SWISS)

I sent you a private message detailing how to resolve this - Apologies I haven't picked up on this post sooner!

As mentioned we carry a good amount of spares and have stock of both the spacer and the washer described by the very helpful bike shop owners and fellow DT riders on this thread.

Hope we can be of assistance!

Cheers

On the hope hub, there is a plastic seal that taps into the hub body.

If not properly clicked in, your free hub will seize when pressure is put on.

There are a number of youtube videos out there to help with this and it's an easy fix