Constant chain suck

Jaco-fiets

I get constant chainsuck when riding remotely wet trails. Either the chain gets pulled up to above chainstay or the chain drops between blade and chainstay. I ripped the metal piece on the frame in the crank area off while having these issues

Will buying a shadow + rd solve this issue?

The problem is not in the derailleur. The problem is likely chainring and chain in origin, with a variety of reasons (work teeth, bent teeth, and subsequent mismatch of chain links to teeth and "suck" of the chain.

Useful link: http://fagan.co.za/Bikes/Csuck/

Although a Shadow Plus upgrade is a nice one anyway. Properly good derailleur, and eliminates chain slap and drop.

Edited by TopFuel

I thinks it's your chain lube not gelling lekker when it comes into contact with water & mud. I use Finish Line -Wet for conditions like we had yesterday at Bovlei & Idea today & it was wet & muddy both days & no chain suck in sight.

I thinks it's your chain lube not gelling lekker when it comes into contact with water & mud. I use Finish Line -Wet for conditions like we had yesterday at Bovlei & Idea today & it was wet & muddy both days & no chain suck in sight.

Exactly the lube I use in wet conditions. The groupset is only a couple of months old and I don't ride that much. Guess that takes out possible wear issue. I will check for bent teeth. When it is clean it spins nicely with no issues In shifting

Chainsuck is all about your chain and your chainrings being too friendly with one another. So what chain are you running, and what condition is it? And what chainrings and what are their condition?

Full XTR groupset and I have 2 blades on crankset. So far only noticed it while I smaller chainring.

Frame is Momsen team issue 929SL R type

Groupset has less than 2000km on it

Full XTR groupset and I have 2 blades on crankset. So far only noticed it while I smaller chainring.

Frame is Momsen team issue 929SL R type

Groupset has less than 2000km on it

Running a Shimano chain?

I got it yesterday from the mud. I run Shimano XT/SLX mixed groupset. I noticed the suck happens at the rear derailer wheels, think the mud might clog up the bearings on the RD then it stops and the suck happens.

Did a good wash and lube and all seems to work fine now.

The shimano small chainring does not last very long. I too had bad chain suck on my Momsen after 6 months and replaced the small chainring. Problem solved. Cheap fix too. This was XT though.

I don't want to open the "how long does a chain last" can of worms, but if that's your first chain, I'd say it's toast.

I don't want to open the "how long does a chain last" can of worms, but if that's your first chain, I'd say it's toast.

was thinking the same. should change at 1000km atleast

Get a new chain. 1500k's is my limit for a chain. I asked what brand chain you use because I tried running a SRAM chain with XTR cranks for a while, and it gave horrendous chainsuck. Went back to Shimano and it was fine. But in your case it sounds like a simple case of worn chain.