Fernando Alonso buys Euskaltel's WorldTour licence: Bring on the F1 mechanics!

slabs

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's over according to this report:

"The negotiations between Euskaltel and the representatives of Fernando Alonso for the acquisition of the cycling team Euskaltel Euskadi on behalf of the Asturian driver, which began with an agreement in principle on August 31, have ended without an agreement," the team said in a statement.

"For Euskaltel it is sad news that after the hope generated by the agreement in principle, a definitive agreement has not been formalised to guarantee a professional future for the members of the team and to reward the fans that have been loyal until the last moment.

"We would like to explain the details of the negotiations, because we have done our part, with total honesty, but it is not possible because we need to respect the confidentiality of the negotiations.

"Having not achieved an agreement, Euskaltel is unfortunately obligated to restart an organised and responsible closure of the project."

www.supersport.com

It's over according to this report:

"The negotiations between Euskaltel and the representatives of Fernando Alonso for the acquisition of the cycling team Euskaltel Euskadi on behalf of the Asturian driver, which began with an agreement in principle on August 31, have ended without an agreement," the team said in a statement.

"For Euskaltel it is sad news that after the hope generated by the agreement in principle, a definitive agreement has not been formalised to guarantee a professional future for the members of the team and to reward the fans that have been loyal until the last moment.

"We would like to explain the details of the negotiations, because we have done our part, with total honesty, but it is not possible because we need to respect the confidentiality of the negotiations.

"Having not achieved an agreement, Euskaltel is unfortunately obligated to restart an organised and responsible closure of the project."

www.supersport.com

Hell - I wonder what went wrong, I could see only good things happening for the Sport in terms of exsposure. I know a couple of my non cycling buddies who are into F1 were getting excited about the deal.

Hell - I wonder what went wrong, I could see only good things happening for the Sport in terms of exsposure. I know a couple of my non cycling buddies who are into F1 were getting excited about the deal.

Apparently Alonso showed interest before a few years ago...

And nothing came of it.

According to reports, however, negotiations stalled over details including the contracts of support staff, such as mechanics, soigneurs, sport directors, and drivers. Alonso wanted to start with a clean slate, bringing the team to his home region of Asturias, and leaving behind the team’s long connection with the Basque Country.

Velonews

Can the OP please change the topic heading to Alonso fails again....

Well....

these notes from his phone...

BU3kLS4CIAAADT9.jpg

Reading roughly between the lines it sounds like a bit of give and take.

Not sure who was prepared to give and who was prepared to take.

I admire the Basque folks commitment to their people , but if it means the end of a career and team then perhaps swallowing a bit of their pride is what they need to do.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Could we possibly see the team on Colnago Ferrari edition team bikes?

Colnago Ferrari with Dura Ace? WoW!

Ag please no. Campy or nothing else on a Nago.

Check the pics on Page 1!

A picture is worth a thousand words.....

Check the pics on Page 1!

A picture is worth a thousand words.....

Doesn't make it right. Guess I'm just fussy.

Doesn't make it right. Guess I'm just fussy.

I agree with you...Imagine Giant with Campy? Imagine a Raleigh with campy on?

Ag please no. Campy or nothing else on a Nago.

Or a Fondriest, maar hulle will nie luister nie!