Fox fork and shock owners - Some questions...

Mojoman

So the next bike I am looking at has a:

Fox Float RP2 Boostvalve

Fox 32 F125RL (Giant LTD Edition) w/ 15QR Thru Axle and Tapered Steerer, 125mm Travel

Are these 2 able to be serviced at home? I have done my Reba's and Epicon before so its not a big deal to get my hands dirty. I just dont want to buy a bike with 2 important parts that I now need to send away for servicing all the time. Are service kits easy to find here?

And how capable are they?

And why does Giant only put Fox on their Trances!

I think you will be able to service the fork yourself, but might need special parts / tools for the shock. JB from Yellow Saddle does some DIY courses, so maybe contact him about how easy it is to service those items yourself and where to get the parts, or what the cost for sending it in would be.

*Giant probably have a deal with Fox...

So the next bike I am looking at has a:

Fox Float RP2 Boostvalve

Fox 32 F125RL (Giant LTD Edition) w/ 15QR Thru Axle and Tapered Steerer, 125mm Travel

Are these 2 able to be serviced at home? I have done my Reba's and Epicon before so its not a big deal to get my hands dirty. I just dont want to buy a bike with 2 important parts that I now need to send away for servicing all the time. Are service kits easy to find here?

And how capable are they?

And why does Giant only put Fox on their Trances!

A note on the Fox 32 F125RL: it will have their overdrive steerer which means it will only ever fit on a Giant frame with a overdrive heat tube. Not the end of the world now, but you're in effect stuck with that fork for as long as you have the bike. Unless some other overdrive Giant sucker is looking for a 125mm fork somewhere down the line.

Frame can take std tapered steerer forks with a reducer spacer.

A note on the Fox 32 F125RL: it will have their overdrive steerer which means it will only ever fit on a Giant frame with a overdrive heat tube. Not the end of the world now, but you're in effect stuck with that fork for as long as you have the bike. Unless some other overdrive Giant sucker is looking for a 125mm fork somewhere down the line.

Thanks, I was not aware of that and its seems pretty sneaky really!

Would this then apply across all the forks that are Fox with the Trances?

Edited by Mojoman

My Trance runs that setup. I've serviced the wipers etc myself with no issue. Fox even gives instructions for all the servicing.

Just opened, cleaned and re-lubed my RP2 last week. 15 min job including removing the unit.

As for the Fork, can be a mission prying out those seals, but much quicker and easier turning the bike upside down, and pulling the slider off the stanchions.

Haven't need to replace seals yet, but I just lube them with 80wt Gear oil every couple months, or then it gets dry. Cheaper then buying that 5ml's of Fox float oil.

How old is the bike? The reason I ask is that the Fox CTD EVO forks usually found on Giant's 2013 range shipped with a notoriously dodgy damper cartridge. If it's a year old and it's still fine, or if the original owner has had the cartridge replaced, you should be ok. If not, you'll (likely) have to replace the cartridge at some stage. Not stupid money, but not cheap either.

As far as servicing goes, it's pretty straightforward - although the instructions for the damper cartridge aren't up on Fox's site, probably because the damper was discontinued due to the above issue. If you're mechanically inclined you'll work it out, but you'll need to know oil volume since it's not a true cartridge damper. I've got it somewhere and will dig it up and post it if you need it.

As for the shock, the air sleeve service is the same as every other shock out there and the bits are easy to get your hands on, but the damper rebuild isn't a DIY job unless you're a hydraulics techie and have a few key documents and tools. We can do it for you, and if you're worried about being without the bike for weeks don't be - we'll turn it around in 2 days. If you're in JHB, Johan at Yellow Saddle can do similar.

If there's anything I've left out, drop me a mail (follow the link in my signature for the address) and I'll answer any questions you may have.

• 3 months later...

What oil can I use for the Fox RP23 shock air sleeve service, I just want to replace the oil not all the seals?

I don't think this is 100% accurate. As far as I'm aware all giant frames head tubes are identical to regular tapered head tubes. They simply use a upper headset bearing with a larger inner diameter to accommodate the 1 1/4 inch upper tube of OD2 steerers. OD2 and regular tapered steerers can be interchanged on all tapered headtube frames, as long as you have the correct upper headset bearing and race.

i.e. all 2013 trance frames are the same, yet some don't ship with OD2 forks. I've also replaced my OD2 fox fork with a regular RS revelation, and sold my OD2 fork to someone thats using it on a non Giant brand bike.

Nope, craig, it unfortunately is 100% true. You HAVE to buy a giant branded or compatible stem on their od2 standard frames unless you have a normal off the shelf fork in there with a non od2 headset. It is a proprietary size, and my mate with a trance X2 (2013) has expressed his endless frustration at only being able to get a few short stems unless he changes his fork and headset.

Ah yes. Your edited post says it all... Some forks (rs) aren't od2. And for those frames, that are built with a normal top headset, you don't have that compatibility problem. It's still a problem though, cos it's a mostly unsupported standard that could cuckold ant future purchase and sale of bits on a giant.

I don't think this is 100% accurate. As far as I'm aware all giant frames head tubes are identical to regular tapered head tubes. They simply use a upper headset bearing with a larger inner diameter to accommodate the 1 1/4 inch upper tube of OD2 steerers. OD2 and regular tapered steerers can be interchanged on all tapered headtube frames, as long as you have the correct upper headset bearing and race.

i.e. all 2013 trance frames are the same, yet some don't ship with OD2 forks. I've also replaced my OD2 fox fork with a regular RS revelation, and sold my OD2 fork to someone thats using it on a non Giant brand bike.

On a steel Ragley to be exact. I had to get a Giant top headset though. The OD bearing has a slightly larger outside dia too.

Ah yes. Your edited post says it all... Some forks (rs) aren't od2. And for those frames, that are built with a normal top headset, you don't have that compatibility problem. It's still a problem though, cos it's a mostly unsupported standard that could cuckold ant future purchase and sale of bits on a giant.

I hope it doesn't become an unsupported std..

Nope, craig, it unfortunately is 100% true. You HAVE to buy a giant branded or compatible stem on their od2 standard frames unless you have a normal off the shelf fork in there with a non od2 headset. It is a proprietary size, and my mate with a trance X2 (2013) has expressed his endless frustration at only being able to get a few short stems unless he changes his fork and headset.

No edits on my post. :)

I was pointing out that this statement is incorrect:

it will have their overdrive steerer which means it will only ever fit on a Giant frame with a overdrive heat tube

...the frames are the same as regular tapered head tube frames. I don't think there is such a thing as an OD2 frame (well at least not in terms of the head tube) from giant. :) I had a 2013 trance X1 and suffered the same problems with stem choice. In the end I bought a new regular fork and all I had to do was replace the upper part of the headset. This is further proven by deanbean running my OD2 fork on a non giant frame. :)