Rohloff Hubs

koukie

I have done a search but cant really find what I want to know.

1. Anybody using it that got issues with it and what is it.

2. How much do they cost in SA?

3. Can I use a 12mm thru axle with it.

4. What size casette can I compare it to, i want to replace my 11-36 will it give me the same ratios.

5. How do they compare to the shimano/sram equivalents

Mr Bornman I have read some of your comments on the Rohloff hub from 2012 I think, have they improved the design yet? You said in some gears they are not very efficient? Can you explain. And also you said they are heavy, even if you take in consideration that you loose a few components, (got a answer on the rohloff site they say around 220grams heavier, this all depends on what you use currently)

They remain heavy. But weight is a secondary....no, tertiary issue. Don't make any important decisions based on weight. Colour is more important - they now come in black and silver.

I don't know what they cost - however big a "bomb" is. Customers usually buy them online and bring them to me to build. Bruce Reynecke cycles also stocks them at fair prices.

Your gear ratios are entirely tunable by manipulating the size of your chainring. Therefore your (nominal) 36 sprocket ratio can be duplicated. I don't know how big your 36 sprocket is since you don't say if it is a 29 or 26 inch wheel it will be used on.

I don't know about the through axle. Never seen one but the Rohloff website should tell you. Brush up zee German a bit.

The Shimano products are nice but aimed at city bikes. I think the Rohloff is more robust. All of them ideally want dedicated Rohloff frames. The gear cables are twinned and need special anchors. The torque arm is best attached to a special drop-out rather than a pipe clamp on the chainstay.

Build issues remain on small wheels. Rohloff itself now recommends a 2X spoking as max. That solves most of the problems but the rim's drilling sophistication is important. Best rims are drilled for left and right spokes. Carbon rims are an complete no-no.

7th gear is still inefficient and noisy. Live with it.

Thanks, what do you mean by inefficient, does not turn as easily as the rest of the gears/need more power?

Thanks, what do you mean by inefficient, does not turn as easily as the rest of the gears/need more power?

That's it. It wastes a couple of percentage points of energy more than the other gears in the box. Not a big deal. You can however hear it. Probably just as inefficient as cross-chaining.

Its a pity they have very limited axle options available, only standard 9mm quick release and a 10mm (in my mind old BMX style hub, with nuts on each side?) axle.

• 2 years later...

A lot of thing has changed since this discussion was started . Any new views on these hubs . Let's keep price out of this for now , I see they are very expensive about R20k . 

I read a book written by a Scottish dude (somebody Beaumont) who broke the world record for cycling around the world, defined as 29 000km IIRC.  He averaged over 100 miles (160km) a day.

He rode a Rohloff hub which needed a service in Australia and the rear cog swapped around somewhere along the way as you can wear the teeth down on the one side and then flip it to use the "new" side.

That was it. I suppose they work well.

I read a book written by a Scottish dude (somebody Beaumont) who broke the world record for cycling around the world, defined as 29 000km IIRC. He averaged over 100 miles (160km) a day.

He rode a Rohloff hub which needed a service in Australia and the rear cog swapped around somewhere along the way as you can wear the teeth down on the one side and then flip it to use the "new" side.

That was it. I suppose they work well.

Marc Beaumont. I've seen his books but never bought one. Any good?

What about the other hubs on the market - although unlikely to be brought in to SA in big numbers - like the Shimano range? The Di-2 stuff?

A lot of thing has changed since this discussion was started . Any new views on these hubs . Let's keep price out of this for now , I see they are very expensive about R20k . 

I guess that a recent ride has made you think a bit ;)

Our Mercer tandem will have one, it's a big investment, but generally hassle-free. 

As for getting one in SA, I have a plan, pm me. (The local agents were unwilling/unable/couldn't be bothered to sell me one) 

If, for any reason you have serious problems with it, it will need to go back to Germany, which may well be faster than sending it via the local agent anyway. Rohloff's service is exceptional and they now have an Engelsman working there so communication easy :)

What about the other hubs on the market - although unlikely to be brought in to SA in big numbers - like the Shimano range? The Di-2 stuff?

I read every review I could find on these things and they all agree on one thing , Rohloff or nothing  :w00t: . It is something I wanna try out and besides , I haven't got something like that in my bike room yet and since I got a spare SS it seems like the logical thing to do  :eek:

I read every review I could find on these things and they all agree on one thing , Rohloff or nothing :w00t: . It is something I wanna try out and besides , I haven't got something like that in my bike room yet and since I got a spare SS it seems like the logical thing to do :eek:

Makes sense to me, mate!

I read every review I could find on these things and they all agree on one thing , Rohloff or nothing  :w00t: . It is something I wanna try out and besides , I haven't got something like that in my bike room yet and since I got a spare SS it seems like the logical thing to do  :eek:

ja. just remember the freedom trail managed to break one (speak to the nutty prof)

I'd have hoped by now that since shimano and SRAM have both had a dig at this (alfine i-motion) that the virtually maintenance free mtb internal hubgear would be a bit more affordable.

It seems not, so clearly these germans still hold all the secrets.

That's the guy.

I was given the book by a Hubber. I'll see if I can find it and you can have it.

ja. just remember the freedom trail managed to break one (speak to the nutty prof)

I'd have hoped by now that since shimano and SRAM have both had a dig at this (alfine i-motion) that the virtually maintenance free mtb internal hubgear would be a bit more affordable.

It seems not, so clearly these germans still hold all the secrets.

I have seen more broken frames and derailleurs at RASA than I have seen in the last 20 years , so a broken Rohloff hub will not surprise me at all  :w00t: . But I will keep a SS for when I do RASA again . This will be for other girly races like the Magalies Monster or maybe the Epic  :whistling:

Archived