Help - Hope Tech X2 front Calliper Strange Noise when braking

Skylark

My Hope Tech X2 Evo front Calliper makes a strange noise when pulling brakes at higher speeds, like a flapping noise "ta-ta-ta-ta-ta", at low speeds it makes the normal brake pad scraping on rotor noise. Never had it before on other brakes, had the same noise when running 160mm Hope Sawtooth floating rotors and also now on 205mm Hope Mono 6 floating rotors.

The brakes are still pretty sharp but I think not quite as strong as they should be, the noise is getting irritating/disconcerting and there may actually be a reason/issue why its happening so I've reached the point where I want to find out what gives!

Anyone had a problem like this, might not be unique to Hope brakes?

I had that issue. Changed the rotors. I personally don't like hope rotors. Bought some cheapies and 100% now. The floating rotors come loose at the rivets and create a noise. Not sure if that will help.

Don't think that's the issue, rotor rivets are tight, but the fact they are Hope and floating may definitely be part of the problem. I was thinking maybe my pads are a little bit contaminated so they are not gripping so well and the pads are skipping over the rotor when braking especially at higher speeds.

Don't think that's the issue, rotor rivets are tight, but the fact they are Hope and floating may definitely be part of the problem. I was thinking maybe my pads are a little bit contaminated so they are not gripping so well and the pads are skipping over the rotor when braking especially at higher speeds.

Swap the pads out with the back and see? or try some spares. Generally they are source of noise in contaminated. Are the rotors discoloured?

Never had an issue with Hope floating rotors, and its been a few years and many marathons.

Have you got the right mounts/adapters on?

http://www.ukbikesto...rake-mount.html

Edited by kosmonooit

Ja the mounts are correct, I thought maybe it was the bigger rotors but they made the same noise with 160mm sawtooths so that's not the problem.

Suppose I better swop the pads from the back and see if that makes a difference, don't have spare pads and haven't found generics avail in SA yet, they must be avail somewhere. Original pads are quite a pocketful at around R250 a set, alligator makes tech x2 pads but no one has stock.

Are using sintered or organic pads?

My set of race x2 do the same and only in the front too. Noise with hope rotor and floating avid rotor. Skylark, I also had that noise when I had those. I'm keen to know what it could be.

Hey Craig, brakes are still champion, must be a way around this noise though.

Are using sintered or organic pads, do you remember if my Hopes still running the stock pads they came with, which I think are sintered?

So anyone have any similar experiences with these noises?

Bump

Mine makes the same noise. Hard braking at high speed and the clicking is there. Not super loud but I know its there. Running Race X2 with braided hoses and 203mm floating rotors.

This noise is from the floating rotor most likely - they are always noisy - the older they get the more noisy they become (and it does not mean they are broken)

The rotor rattles a little on the pins - this bit of play is supposed to be there to allow the float - which is basically there to reduce stress in the rotor caused by heat.

Provided everything is properly inspected and in good working order - the rattle is not a concern at all - if you don't like it, change to fixed rotors.

Race cars typically use floating rotors (if allowed by class rules) and they can be insanely noisy - ok - they do get hotter than most brake rotors ever will, that's why we buy floating ones.

This noise is from the floating rotor most likely - they are always noisy - the older they get the more noisy they become (and it does not mean they are broken)

The rotor rattles a little on the pins - this bit of play is supposed to be there to allow the float - which is basically there to reduce stress in the rotor caused by heat.

Provided everything is properly inspected and in good working order - the rattle is not a concern at all - if you don't like it, change to fixed rotors.

Race cars typically use floating rotors (if allowed by class rules) and they can be insanely noisy - ok - they do get hotter than most brake rotors ever will, that's why we buy floating ones.

I wish it was the rotor rattling but it's not, Hope floating rotors aren't actually true floating rotors like racing cars as you mentioned, the pins can get a little loose which you can easily fix by tapping them with a hammer on flat surface or anvil but the brake/rotor pad contact surface is not supposed to move at all the aluminum carrier.

I have had floating rotors become loose in the past and rattle , they make a bit of noise especially if you have very knobbly tires but thats not related to this noise at all.

I wish it was the rotor rattling but it's not, Hope floating rotors aren't actually true floating rotors like racing cars as you mentioned, the pins can get a little loose which you can easily fix by tapping them with a hammer on flat surface or anvil but the brake/rotor pad contact surface is not supposed to move at all the aluminum carrier.

I have had floating rotors become loose in the past and rattle , they make a bit of noise especially if you have very knobbly tires but thats not related to this noise at all.

The other thing that rattles is pads - take them out and check for scuff marks on the edges.

Nah it's not that noise, the noise I'm talking about only crops up at higher speeds. Never had the noise before with the previous SLX OR Elexir brakes, only with these Hopes.

Hey Craig, brakes are still champion, must be a way around this noise though.

Are using sintered or organic pads, do you remember if my Hopes still running the stock pads they came with, which I think are sintered?

So anyone have any similar experiences with these noises?

The pads in yours are still the original ones that come with the brakes.