AA -The Avid Appreciation society

PhilipV

Change your rotors. Or better yet, clean them, and sand down your pads. Maybe your pressure washer dislodged some *** in the process of washing and they are now contaminated...

The warbling / bird sounds are down to either contamination, the design of the rotor (old ones were particularly bad - change to the Ice Tech rotors and watch that noise disappear) or cold brakes.

Also - it happens just after you've cleaned your brake rotors with Benzine / Acetone. Yikes, that was not a lekker experience. But it lasted 1/2 a ride...

Or get a proper set of brakes? Unless walking backwards is your thing, in which case, keep walking Johnny...

I own:

Elixir CRs with Avid HS1 rotors

SLX with SLX rotors

Saint with XT rotors

I had also thought the Avid HS1 rotors were the problem with all the squeaking. Swapped them with the SLX rotors (that don't squeak with the SLX brakes) and the problem persisted, the Elixirs still squealed. Then I put the HS1 rotors with the SLX brakes, and lo and behold, no noise from the Avid rotors. Put the SLX back with the SLX rotors (no need to punish them, they did no wrong). The Elixirs I have are like a temperamental Telkom line, whereas the SLX and Saints just work.

Didn't have to

a) change rotors

b} clean rotors

c) sand down my pads

d) wait for them to heat up

e) dance on one leg on a Tuesday in April

So no, I'm not a hater with no experience standing on the sidelines.

I'm an Avid owner who thinks they are ****, compared to the SLX and the Saints - that are THE ****.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ja look if i was poor I'd get the Avid trails for sure. Fortunately I'm loaded and have Hopes on both bikes. V2 on the DH bike and M4 on my trail bike.

I might be selling the V2's at some point to buy.......V4 in Stealth Black.

A poor dude that has + - R6000 to spend on bicycle brakes ?

Or at least that's retail

I thought poor dudes buy whole bikes at 6k

my Trails offer tool free adjustment :huh: .. unless I'm missing something here?

also, 2 finger braking? pfffffft sacrilege.

I think it's a choice you can make on the pad contact adjuster - either with or without the tool free - apparently the tool free adjuster is a problem with gripshift setups as it interferes...

In any case I got mine second hand (but out the box new) so that's the way they came.... including the tools...

I think it's a choice you can make on the pad contact adjuster - either with or without the tool free - apparently the tool free adjuster is a problem with gripshift setups as it interferes...

In any case I got mine second hand (but out the box new) so that's the way they came.... including the tools...

ah ok. definitely would interfere with gripshift. But how often do you fiddle with reach adjust?

lakker! this is weird though.. just the other day i was thinking i should try hit that time of yours in the Majik challenge.. and then u show up for realz and squash my hopes... hmmm..ominous or fortuitous your reappearance is, that i cannot decide..

:P

and how was IM? times, splits?

IM was good. a bit boring at times if you're used to mtbike excitement, but overall a great experience. Would definately do it again... well I had to buy a fricken road bike, so I guess I have to use it again! We came in on 13h02min, which is pretty much what I expected considering the amount of training we had done. The swim was fine (1h14 min) and then we took it really slow on the bike (6h28), because I was very scared of the run. Think we did 4h48 for the run. But ja, IM is all about the run. Would definately put more effort into the run training next time around.

Guest Omega Man

A poor dude that has + - R6000 to spend on bicycle brakes ?

Or at least that's retail

I thought poor dudes buy whole bikes at 6k

Hahaha. No read the post again. I'm loaded. Jokes.

I just love the quality feel of the hopes. the adjustments feel like the clicks on my Cane Creek shock. Just awesome. I used to be an Sram guy through and through but hope brakes to me are a non negotiable on a bike.

They aren't thaaat expensive if you shop around btw.

ah ok. definitely would interfere with gripshift. But how often do you fiddle with reach adjust?

Not often... probably more than some people with bigger hands though, and realistically during a race only if mud is eating pads.. and then to get more clearance rather than less...

Guest Omega Man

http://images.biketart.com/images/STEALTHBRAKES-web.jpg?width=800

baie naaice.. :thumbup:

btw: that caliper reminds me of the aftermarket straitline levers.. and those were just omg... :drool:

YEAH MAMMA. Just look at that picture people! That will look so hawt on my blacked out DHR.

I'll get shimano rotors tho. I like those. have em on my trail bike. Ja remeber those straitline levers. yummy. Sold my Codes with straitline levers for the price i paid for the levers. hahaha. I always seem to be on the short end of these bike deals.

IM was good. a bit boring at times if you're used to mtbike excitement, but overall a great experience. Would definately do it again... well I had to buy a fricken road bike, so I guess I have to use it again! We came in on 13h02min, which is pretty much what I expected considering the amount of training we had done. The swim was fine (1h14 min) and then we took it really slow on the bike (6h28), because I was very scared of the run. Think we did 4h48 for the run. But ja, IM is all about the run. Would definately put more effort into the run training next time around.

that's not a bad time at all, and your first time! congrats! :D but now that you done with your mid-life crisis, back to business.. MTB! :P

Guest Omega Man

All the time. The plan is to get the lever as close to the bar as possible with the brakes on full lock so your hand is less stretched

Not often... probably more than some people with bigger hands though, and realistically during a race only if mud is eating pads.. and then to get more clearance rather than less...

Roger that. Sounds like you are running organic pads. #notAfan.

All the time. The plan is to get the lever as close to the bar as possible with the brakes on full lock so your hand is less stretched

All the time? For exactly how long do you drag your brakes to chew them pads up so quickly??? :P

that's not a bad time at all, and your first time! congrats! :D but now that you done with your mid-life crisis, back to business.. MTB! :P

Haha!! Yup. And I wasted no time. Got my Tracer a brand new XX1 groupo!

Roger that. Sounds like you are running organic pads. #notAfan.

eerrmm - NO.... maybe, but NO........

I am of course a fan of Pagid RS15 pads... and a set of those front pads is about the same as a new set of V4's.....

Guest Omega Man

All the time? For exactly how long do you drag your brakes to chew them pads up so quickly??? :P

No. I'm obsessive about getting the bite point and lever reach just right. That and they are fun to play with.

No. I'm obsessive about getting the bite point and lever reach just right. That and they are fun to play with.

no wonder you always fcking around with other ppl's brakes. hahaha u are very annoying in that regard. If i'm all holy over my bike when you around, well, now u know why :P

Archived