2013 Road World Champs

igknot

15:09:57 CEST

Rohan Dennis has averaged a scorching 51.3kph through the 42.3km mark, which is good enough for the best time, 5 seconds up on Kanstantin Siutsou.

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15:12:59 CEST

And after Wiggins, Fabian Cancellara (Switzerland) thunders down the start ramp to kick off his effort. Four times a world time trial champion, Cancellara's last victory came three years ago in Geelong. One senses that Sunday's road race is his real goal this week, but if he has the legs here, then his former RadioShack manager Johan Bruyneel would doubtless tell him that he might as well win...

15:11:07 CEST

Bradley Wiggins, or Il Baronetto as he is invariably called in these parts, rolls down the start ramp. He'll be hoping for better luck than he had at the Saltara time trial at the Giro, where a puncture upset his progress and ultimately proved very costly indeed.

15:14:27 CEST

Tony Martin (Germany) lost out to Cancellara in the lone individual time trial at the Vuelta, but he draws solace from the fact that the hilly Tarazona course was very different to the pan flat persorsco he faces today.

Blerrie commentators. You are right, I got confused with Sky sponsorship of British team.

Probably not helped by the fact that Dowsett is in his British TT champions kit rather than full Movistar kit!

The GPS times suggest that Cancellara and Martin are around ten seconds up on Wiggins, but we'll see if that bears true at the first formal check.

Wiggins, incidentally, has said that he will eschew time checks and instead gauge his effort by keeping an eye to his powermeter.

15:21:42 CEST

Best time for Cancellara at the 7.2km point. He reaches the top of the climb 10 seconds up on Chavanel, 12 ahead of Quaade and Phinney, and 15 up on Wiggins.

15:22:51 CEST

It's very, very tight between Martin and Cancellara. Martin goes through the 7.2km mark 0.36 seconds down on Cancellara, a gap RAI's Davide Cassani calculates to be equal to 7 metres.

15:28:44 CEST

Rohan Dennis reaches the finish with the provisional second best time, 9 seconds down on Siutsou.

15:31:53 CEST

Martin, Wiggins and Cancellara are still en route to the second time check at Quarrata. Unofficial information suggests that Cancellara is 6 seconds up, with Wiggins' deficit continuing to rise, but as ever, we await formal confirmation at the 24.09km point.