Fraud on the hub - beware guys!

silverbird

So im considering buying something from a hubber

i've checked "previous hubber posts" etc, pm him instead of e-mail and phone calls. but would it be stupid to trust that the fellow hubber will send the product(s) advertised once i pay? i am too far away to view the item, but the guy seems legit...

YohhH! in todays day and age, i just dont know. don't wanna get bitten.

You can tell a lot about a person by reading up on their posts too. I don't buy from anyone with lesss than 250 posts and generally will phone them too. Unfortunately as the buyer you are generally the one taking the risks so do your homework, get someone you know or a LBS to maybe check the item.

Good luck, maybe mention the guy here and someone can vouch for him.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can tell a lot about a person by reading up on their posts too. I don't buy from anyone with lesss than 250 posts and generally will phone them too. Unfortunately as the buyer you are generally the one taking the risks so do your homework, get someone you know or a LBS to maybe check the item.

Good luck, maybe mention the guy here and someone can vouch for him.

That seems prejudiced toward the reader-type :ph34r: Just because I type slow doesn't mean I sell fake carbon goods.

With this post I am building toward that mighty 250 you speak of. :whistling:

I would ALLWAYS want to meet the guy face to face (or at least talk to him, get a business card) and generally just get a easy feeling about the guy, before I do a deal.

I once had a guy apply to rent a property I own.....I just never felt easy about the guy.....then further investigation brought to light.....various summons against him by banks and clothing chains.

TRUST YOU GUT!

That seems prejudiced toward the reader-type :ph34r: Just because I type slow doesn't mean I sell fake carbon goods.

With this post I am building toward that mighty 250 you speak of. :whistling:

I don't sell to people outside gauteng... or people that call dibs or people with less than 250 posts...true story.

Surely if the money is showing in your account and the check turns out to be fake the bank can't then deduct it from your account?

they should wait for it to be cleared before it reflects in your account?

Not always - an old fraud trick is deposit a stolen chq, takes a day or so for it to be RD'ed. Blance will reflect until then (but not always, depends on your account) Often deposit slip is tipex'es to show cash instead of chq.

If incorrectly deposited into your account, amount can be reversed, ie payer make an error with account number

Edited by kosmonooit

I don't sell to people outside gauteng... or people that call dibs or people with less than 250 posts...true story.

I've sold to people in other parts of the country, and did fair amount of buying afar as well. Even for a few larger purchases, paid a holding deposits before I could send the full amounts, no problems, but that's after chatting to the person.