Fraud on the hub - beware guys!

silverbird

Dear Hubbers,

I've recently been victim to fraud by a person who saw my add on the hub. Please be careful during sales guys! The person wanted to buy the bike and paid R2000 too much money into my account. He then asked me to pay back the money so he could pay the courier to fetch the bike. I waited for bank notifications first - this person also faked the cellphone notifications. I checked on my bank statement and money was supposedly in the account after 2 days under the name Gregg Davies. I then asked him for bank account details so I can pay back extra amount. After 2 days he sent me details of another person's account (which was frozen). The guy kept calling and bugging me for the money. Then ended up saying that his wife doesn't want the bike anymore because she's in hospital with cancer and I should please help him by paying back they money. The payment he made ended up being a fraudulent cheque.

Beware of this guy. His cellphone no. is: 0726052301 (for what it's worth!)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't mention in your post if he looked at the bike face to face? Assume it was from another city as you mention shipping. That's my first warning when selling something. I would never buy anything that I haven't seen and inspected so will never sell anything in the same manner. Just way too risky. Glad you didn't fall for it though and thanks for the warning.

You don't mention in your post if he looked at the bike face to face? Assume it was from another city as you mention shipping. That's my first warning when selling something. I would never buy anything that I haven't seen and inspected so will never sell anything in the same manner. Just way too risky. Glad you didn't fall for it though and thanks for the warning.

Then 90% of guys on the hub wouldn't sell anything. Just wait for the money to clear. Also make a point of getting the buyers/ sellers contact number and speak to them on the phone. You'll soon get an idea if it's a genuine sale or not.

These darn skelms..... Instant karma says his wife got diagnosed with cancer 3 days later and IS now in hospital....

No?

Too much? dammit! I never know when it's funny or not to be un PC!

(But I am pretty sure I wasn't the only one who thought it......)

No I never saw the guy. He just communicated with me by phone. English speaking; sounds Indian. Said he was from Edenvale and wasn't able to transport the bike and if I could help him. Luckily I waited long enough before paying back any money (4 days) and saw that the cheque bounced. My bank's fraud dept told me he payed it in from an ATM but we don't know which bank.

Please name the HubSA user so I can avoid any dealings with him/her.

No he only phoned me. no reply on the hub. And I only advertised on the hub. So I don't know what his hub username is.