Pump track

BrendanM

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am in favour of a place close to that winding track on the side of Delta park that starts at the school and ends by the small bridge / by the guys house with the weird mesh fence who has the citroen. Maybe this is the place you mean Mr. Ultimate hubber ?

There will be good drainage as its like 30 degrees ! Maybe a pump track must be flat ?

Hey Brendan. Building a pump track in Delta will be tough. We had huge negotiations to build that winding trail. What about that open patch just after fratelli's in Delta's ditection?

BrendanM, none of the build work on the Spruit is done by the Council, it's all built and maintained by the Spruit Fairies with some donations by certain MTB club's. A lot of dedication, time and effort is donated by individuals that enjoy trail riding.

I think Mikes has a pretty good track for anyone to get started on, he is also not fussed with anyone riding it anytime.

If you are keen to put work in I think we should get that track running sweet and then possibly build others after.

At least his we have permission to build and its not going to get demolished.

Has anyone here calling for a pump track every even built a half decent sized jump?

I know Super_mil, Peach, and myself have. (I was going to say Google, but I remember spending a few days one december building a landing for one of his jumps :P :lol: )

Anyway, those who have will know how much work it is to dig for, move, pack, and shape a relatively small amount of dirt.

A pump track is going to require 20x or more that amount of dirt and work. I am of the opinion (and yes this is my opinion) that in order to build a half decent pump track. One with real berms, and flow, thought out and planned (not like the rubbish one at the bike park), one will either:

• only see its completion just in time for the next Olympic Games
  • need a labour force of 15 plus (those who build will know this is rare)
  • need a bobcat (or TLB if SomeBloke gets his way)

The last option sounds the most feasable. So wherever this proposed pump track goes, I'd suggest that it can be accessed by a small earth moving vehicle, as well as not draw too much attention to said vehicle.

Just my opinion.

I am going to ask wendell of thana trails and see if he will build us a pump track.

There was a pump track started at Rietvlei, but I think it was abandoned.

There was a pump track started at Rietvlei, but I think it was abandoned.

Yip I see it's looking pretty unkempt .... when it was built I hardly ever saw anyone using it?

Guest Omega Man

Has anyone here calling for a pump track every even built a half decent sized jump?

I know Super_mil, Peach, and myself have. (I was going to say Google, but I remember spending a few days one december building a landing for one of his jumps :P :lol: )

Anyway, those who have will know how much work it is to dig for, move, pack, and shape a relatively small amount of dirt.

A pump track is going to require 20x or more that amount of dirt and work. I am of the opinion (and yes this is my opinion) that in order to build a half decent pump track. One with real berms, and flow, thought out and planned (not like the rubbish one at the bike park), one will either:

The last option sounds the most feasable. So wherever this proposed pump track goes, I'd suggest that it can be accessed by a small earth moving vehicle, as well as not draw too much attention to said vehicle.

Just my opinion.

1 Million percent agree with you. I don't know much about building pump tracks but I can tell you you'll get more done in an hour with a jcb than you will in 3 months with spades and wheelbarrows.

They come with pre installed driver software (nerd pun) and you can often rent them by the hour. I'd honestly suggest finding a restaurant or something like that with a bit of spare land and doing it legally on private land. That way the council won't bash down your work cos it's tripping up the local vagrant population.

Also. They get pretty boring pretty quickly. So maybe get a safe (Tables) jump line going next to the pump track. Just a thought.

Edited by Omega Man

Hmmm, Some very good points here.

Someone has contacted me who has 3 months holiday and wants to build the pump track - so I think he will take this further. 3months of holiday should do it, eh ? Maybe we can get him a TLB.

TLB - Yes - this is a good idea, anyone got one, or have a company with one - seriously. Company owners ride too.

Its probably compulsory actually.

Delta - Who did you guys negotiate with ? Got a contact at the council ?

We probably need permission to build near Fratellis anyway.

Location at Fratellis - well everyone seems to agree. Not exactly sure where you mean - do you mean if you start at Fratellie and turn RIGHT just before the hump near the guys house with the canoes on the wall ???

Boredom factor - Interesting. I am going to ride at Mikes and also check out the Rietvlei abandoned track.

Wendell <Thaba trails and Rietvlei> says - No thanx. I think he has had enough of building for a while. Awesome DH track at Thaba though.

I am going to post a thread about the TLB and I am also going to contact the guys at Tread.

If any of you know or work at the municipality or have the Delta Park contacts - let me know.

Brendan

BrendanM, none of the build work on the Spruit is done by the Council, it's all built and maintained by the Spruit Fairies with some donations by certain MTB club's. A lot of dedication, time and effort is donated by individuals that enjoy trail riding.

Thanx guys. Super cool effort.

Just my opinion.

I have a half finished pump-track in a mates garden, I know how much work is involved :unsure: I agree that a TLB would be awesome, just like buying and bringing in dirt would be way easier...but those things cost randelas. I'm more than willing to chip in towards the costs, and if we could get a few people to the same then this project will happen quickly :thumbup:

Someone has contacted me who has 3 months holiday and wants to build the pump track - so I think he will take this further. 3months of holiday should do it, eh ? Maybe we can get him a TLB.

TLB - Yes - this is a good idea, anyone got one, or have a company with one - seriously. Company owners ride too.

Location at Fratellis - well everyone seems to agree. Not exactly sure where you mean - do you mean if you start at Fratellie and turn RIGHT just before the hump near the guys house with the canoes on the wall ???

Boredom factor - Interesting. I am going to ride at Mikes and also check out the Rietvlei abandoned track.

Wendell <Thaba trails and Rietvlei> says - No thanx. I think he has had enough of building for a while. Awesome DH track at Thaba though.

I am going to post a thread about the TLB and I am also going to contact the guys at Tread.

If any of you know or work at the municipality or have the Delta Park contacts - let me know.

Brendan

TLB...

going to be an issue getting it just about anywhere on the spruit without raising eyebrows. I think your best bet is just near the scout hall in a certain area with trees. It's off the main line, and there is building going on at a complex just near it.

Here.

post-10758-0-18466900-1382426299_thumb.jpg

A - Proposed spot for pump track and fun trail jump line (DHL 2.0)

B - Scout Hall Line

Blue Line - Main Spruit trail.

I personally think if one is insistant on building this line on the spruit, this is a better location than near Fratellis. Less likely to rais concerns from residents etc. Off the main line. And we won't be digging up manicured lawns.

Delta is pretty much out of the question. It is a nature concervancy, not a theme park.

Thaba is too far for the "spruit fairies" to travel just to ride a pump track, nevermind pay to ride it.

As as for the boredom factor... as mentioned above, the proposed spot has enough space and gradent for a really nice flowing jump line to suppliment the pump track.

Brendan

Good point WRT the TLB. As for building anywhere near delta or fratellis-I would forget it completely-there are way too many dog-walking-grannies on the war path who will make it their life's mission to get anything fun torn down. I think Hurlingham/ Scout hall would be the safest bet.

TLB...

going to be an issue getting it just about anywhere on the spruit without raising eyebrows. I think your best bet is just near the scout hall in a certain area with trees. It's off the main line, and there is building going on at a complex just near it.

Here.

post-10758-0-18466900-1382426299_thumb.jpg

A - Proposed spot for pump track and fun trail jump line (DHL 2.0)

B - Scout Hall Line

Blue Line - Main Spruit trail.

I personally think if one is insistant on building this line on the spruit, this is a better location than near Fratellis. Less likely to rais concerns from residents etc. Off the main line. And we won't be digging up manicured lawns.

Delta is pretty much out of the question. It is a nature concervancy, not a theme park.

Thaba is too far for the "spruit fairies" to travel just to ride a pump track, nevermind pay to ride it.

As as for the boredom factor... as mentioned above, the proposed spot has enough space and gradent for a really nice flowing jump line to suppliment the pump track.

I think that's the spot BikeBailing was suggesting, how easy would it be to access with the TLB?

I think Mikes has a pretty good track for anyone to get started on, he is also not fussed with anyone riding it anytime.

If you are keen to put work in I think we should get that track running sweet and then possibly build others after.

At least his we have permission to build and its not going to get demolished.

:thumbup: