Designers and others help with wheel logos please!

NotSoBigBen

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 1st thing that jumps to my mind is: "what is the profile of your rim?"

if you want a design for a 'flat' OR rounded surface I asssume you can simply draw it on a flat piece of paper and it will have the same 'look' on the rim, but if the rim goes from a flat to a rounded part (I have a set of rims like that), then your design/"cut out" will look different on paper to on the rim.... hope this makes sense

So: what is your shape?

post-24697-0-79088400-1381469950_thumb.jpg

post-24697-0-11768600-1381469958_thumb.png

post-24697-0-44201200-1381469967_thumb.jpg

post-24697-0-77810300-1381469979_thumb.jpg

I know this one is building arches, but it kinda has most of the different shapes one gets for rims too.....

Still design it on the flat surface :thumbup:

i just realised to get the text on path in Illustrator according to rim circumference requires some Maths that my brain is not genetically equipped to calculate. :eek:

Hey guys, my 2 cents.

I think this is being overcomplicated. Based on a 17mm CAP height limit, and general wheel circumference, just design it flat, print it out 1:1 on some paper, cut and check to see if it makes sense. Worse case scenario, add some perspective distortion, or stretch/shrink cap height accordingly. You can either spend forever doing maths, or you can print, test fit on paper and adjust.

Vinyl Cut on some decent cast vinyl that can stretch and conform and get someone with some experience to apply it.

i did a quick design based on what you asked.

http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh545/nazmo/RIGIDWHEEL1_zps06085b95.jpg

Edited by nazmo

Hey guys, my 2 cents.

I think this is being overcomplicated. Based on a 17mm CAP height limit, and general wheel circumference, just design it flat, print it out 1:1 on some paper, cut and check to see if it makes sense. Worse case scenario, add some perspective distortion, or stretch/shrink cap height accordingly. You can either spend forever doing maths, or you can print, test fit on paper and adjust.

Vinyl Cut on some decent cast vinyl that can stretch and conform and get someone with some experience to apply it.

i did a quick design based on what you asked.

http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh545/nazmo/RIGIDWHEEL1_zps06085b95.jpg

i think we have a winner :clap:

i just realised to get the text on path in Illustrator according to rim circumference requires some Maths that my brain is not genetically equipped to calculate. :eek:

Why, why, why? :blink: lol

Why? Just type on a path. One of the text tools...

Why? Just type on a path. One of the text tools...

wait guys - seriously now , the arc of the circle will be determined by the size of the circle in question - in this case the size of the rim - so in order for the words to wrap around the rim correctly (i.e parallel to the rim itself) - one would need to determine the path to type on - based on said size of circle or am i seriously confused?

i don't know if any of that made sense . :eek:

i drew a picture

post-44041-0-42135200-1381497999_thumb.png

exact same words on path - but doesn't work on different sized circles?

Edited by Uni

While said family member is busy, can they please cut me a vinyl sticker that says "Brandewyn"? Any font will do, size, bumper sticker size, it's to go on the back of a mates car that's coming back from the panel beater next week...

Edit spelling.

Edited by Stretched@Birth

wait guys - seriously now , the arc of the circle will be determined by the size of the circle in question - in this case the size of the rim - so in order for the words to wrap around the rim correctly (i.e parallel to the rim itself) - one would need to determine the path to type on - based on said size of circle or am i seriously confused?

i drew a picture

Go have that beer now, its the weeeeeeekend baby :clap:

Go have that beer now, its the weeeeeeekend baby :clap:

can't argue with that- head start on oktoberfest

post-44041-0-79491400-1381499706_thumb.jpg

i drew a picture

Thats right, but if you wrap it to the outer diameter of the rim rather than the inner, then it will always be a perfect offset to the inner diameter.

The picture you drew the inner and outer arcs of your text aren't concentric.

Go have a beer.