Which Anthem 29er to get?!?

jdvisagie

Which Anthem?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Which Anthem 29er?

• Anthem X Advanced (Carbon/XT/Wheels)
    • Anthem X (Alloy/SLX)

Based on what does it beat a proprietary wheel?

I don't think these wheels are tubeless, so another conversion to get on par with the Mavic's.

The only downside to the Mavic's is it's price, but then you get what you pay for

based on the fact that proprietary wheels are built by machines, that always have tolerances in them and can never match the expertise of a true, experienced human wheel builder.

Yes - they're more expensive. But they also have their own problems. A proprietary spoke arrangement, a reportedly finnicky freehub assembly (admittedly only in older models, but still) and a horrible nipple.

I'd choose custom wheels over a proprietary wheelset any day of the week.

Then have an issue with your SLR's and discover what monkeys the local agents are when it comes to any after sales service on Mavic wheels.

yet another reason to get wheels and rims with stock standard bearings, spokes and nipples - that can be fixed easily and without any fuss.

Then have an issue with your SLR's and discover what monkeys the local agents are when it comes to any after sales service on Mavic wheels.

I have been riding with Mavic's for years, excellent service in Cape Town

based on the fact that proprietary wheels are built by machines, that always have tolerances in them and can never match the expertise of a true, experienced human wheel builder.

Yes - they're more expensive. But they also have their own problems. A proprietary spoke arrangement, a reportedly finnicky freehub assembly (admittedly only in older models, but still) and a horrible nipple.

I'd choose custom wheels over a proprietary wheelset any day of the week.

I guess each to his own, as long as you are happy with what you ride then I can't fault your decision.

I am no mechanic but I have stripped my Mavic's myself, replaced bearings and oiled the freebody without hassle.

In fact the Mavic cassette and freebody removal is way easier than a Shimano, no special tools needed just a chain lock and two allen keys.

Also agree on AX1 with Crest or Arch wheelset. Maybe even a dropper post if your terrain/riding style asks for something like that.

I have Crest wheels on my anthem x29 1 and its the best upgrade you can do to that bike. IMO.

I guess each to his own, as long as you are happy with what you ride then I can't fault your decision.

I am no mechanic but I have stripped my Mavic's myself, replaced bearings and oiled the freebody without hassle.

In fact the Mavic cassette and freebody removal is way easier than a Shimano, no special tools needed just a chain lock and two allen keys.

With hope's you won't even have to do that....fit and forget.

This one :)

No jokes, IMHO, the Alum SLX X1 is the best value for money on the market at the moment.

post-4334-0-44346100-1381488486_thumb.jpg

Edited by dee_biker

Does Giant still make bikes :eek:

Ducking and running sorry looks too much like a Raleigh!!!

Woooooooosh :P

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA, ja, stir stir!!! It's Friday afterall!

Thanks for input guys.... But I'm feeling more confused right now ;)

Guess there's no wrong or right choice... Will have to flip a coin...

Thanks for input guys.... But I'm feeling more confused right now ;)

Guess there's no wrong or right choice... Will have to flip a coin...

take the alu one, upgrade the wheels to a custom built wheelset built by William Keith in Somerset West, buy a dropper. That is all.