What tools do I need to service this BB?

patrickza

My cranks have some play in them, looks like the shaft in the BB is the cause. I'd like to open it up to check the bearings etc. Any idea what tools I'd need?

Obviously an 8mm allen wrench which I have, then I'll need a crank puller which I should be able to find, but lastly I'll need something to undo whatever you call that piece with all those grooves in it. Any ideas? And will the other side be the same, I can't see past the sprockets. The cranks have TRUVATIV FIVE D written on them if that helps. Thanks. Pic below.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w112/pgpatrick/utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTMxMDE0LTAwMzY2LmpwZw_zpsdb038f75.jpg

Looks like you might need one of these ParkTool BBT-22 or BBT-32. Count the slots to know which tool to use.

post-45378-0-00516200-1381760962_thumb.jpg

You'll need:

8mm hex key

ISIS crank extractor

Park BBT-2 BB spline tool or equivalent (Shimano, Ice Tools, Pedros and a few others make similar things)

Large shifting spanner or 3/8" drive socket handle to operate above

New BB of the same type - spline, shell width and axle length (unless you have a press and are handy with replacing bearings, but a new BB will most likely be cheaper anyway)

Rag to clean out shell

And that's about it... good luck!

Looks like you might need one of these ParkTool BBT-22 or BBT-32. Count the slots to know which tool to use.

Wow sorry for the real bad image

My cranks have some play in them, looks like the shaft in the BB is the cause. I'd like to open it up to check the bearings etc. Any idea what tools I'd need?

Obviously an 8mm allen wrench which I have, then I'll need a crank puller which I should be able to find, but lastly I'll need something to undo whatever you call that piece with all those grooves in it. Any ideas? And will the other side be the same, I can't see past the sprockets. The cranks have TRUVATIV FIVE D written on them if that helps. Thanks. Pic below.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w112/pgpatrick/utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTMxMDE0LTAwMzY2LmpwZw_zpsdb038f75.jpg

You need an ISIS BB Tool

Like this one: http://www.evobikes.co.za/components/tools/ice-toolz-shimano-isis-bottom-bracket-tool.html

By the way, how often should one service the BB?

It's a sealed unit, so not really a serviceable part. Replace when it starts feeling crunchy. To test, take your chain off and spin the cranks.

They would like you to believe so...but possible on external bb's though

http://www.thehubsa....-cheap-rebuild/

That is for external bearings. If it is an Isis BB the bearings are sealed and very difficult to service. Vernon Koekemoer learnt Chuck Norris to service them.

post-24908-0-04302000-1381841473_thumb.jpg

Edited by Big H*

That is for external bearings. If it is an Isis BB the bearings are sealed and very difficult to service.

yes correct oom I did amend my post just after i submitted it thinking exactly what you are saying

:thumbup:

Hi Patrickza

I have just done mine.... I got all the tools mentioned above, got to work on it.... The problem I had was "once the allen key bolt was out of the way and I had pulled the arms off, I took the fancy looking tool and took of the piece with all the teeth in it.... the one side was easy, but when I got to the drivechain side, I battled for ages, eventually took it to local shop, it took him 2 mins because it had a longer extension to get the leverage... once done... out comes the BB, but then I got a new one that was 5mm longer, so when putting back together, the blades stuck to far out from derailer... so make sure it is the same as the one that came out....

Hopethis helps a little..

Hi Patrickza

I have just done mine.... I got all the tools mentioned above, got to work on it.... The problem I had was "once the allen key bolt was out of the way and I had pulled the arms off, I took the fancy looking tool and took of the piece with all the teeth in it.... the one side was easy, but when I got to the drivechain side, I battled for ages, eventually took it to local shop, it took him 2 mins because it had a longer extension to get the leverage... once done... out comes the BB, but then I got a new one that was 5mm longer, so when putting back together, the blades stuck to far out from derailer... so make sure it is the same as the one that came out....

The BB length is stated on Shimano BB's. Longer or shorter will affect your chain line. Make sure you get the correct one. I hate the socket type tool shown above. You get tools that are socket driver and handle in one with a spindle that screws into the BB axle. That gives you proper alignment and rigidity.

Hi Patrickza

May also be because the right hand side is a left hand thread...

Edited by droo

They would like you to believe so...but possible on external bb's though

http://www.thehubsa....-cheap-rebuild/

Yup. Haven't replaced a BB in ages - I just get the bearings from Rush Sports and replace. For the older external shells you can just use 6805.2RS from Bearing Man, but the new ones have a special proprietary bearing that's 1mm narrower. Just to annoy the 'fixers' among us.

You can also replace the bearings on older cartridge style BBs, but the process is quite painful and bearings (especially for ISIS and whatever the weird standard Truvativ used on the five-D was called) can be expensive and hard to find. Easier just to fork out R200 for a new unit.

Shimano has the Octalink splined bearing. They were not the nest ever design. Our MTB Tandem has a Shimano Hollowcrank (1) crankset with Octalink BB's. When the first one went I ordered six from www.chainreactioncycles.com Not sure if the Truvativ Isis is of better design.