[Event] Durbanville High School Funride

Berry

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

E-F always have Slower times, dont know why they cant keep it up?

In the West Coast Express, the One Tonner and yesterday, it just seems the E/F guys have never had the teamwork of the guys who come flying past, although yesterday we were going quite slowly as a group even after the G/H guys joined us. Towards the end,the short route guys on the side made it a bit hairy though.

Those Cedar kids are also going to cause a massive pile-up one of these days!

Agree, exuberance of youth I guess but some of them could consider themselves lucky not to be disqualified.

it just seems the E/F guys have never had the teamwork of the guys who come flying past, although yesterday we were going quite slowly as a group even after the G/H guys joined us.

Winning time for G/H about a minute slower than for C/D, there were obviously quite a few strong guys that fell back a few groups and worked together as a team, maybe it was a training ride for the DC for the Cedar team?

Agree, exuberance of youth I guess but some of them could consider themselves lucky not to be disqualified.

Winning time for G/H about a minute slower than for C/D, there were obviously quite a few strong guys that fell back a few groups and worked together as a team, maybe it was a training ride for the DC for the Cedar team?

Ag, a few minutes here and there don't phase me, cos the exuberance of youth has metamorphosed into the "impending bloody crash" of middle-age :blink: the times are very, very close... might get a ridiculous seeding since we're only 12 or so mins behind the winners.

exuberance of youth!!! they should still be able to handle a bike. we had a "F" rider in our group , whenever he changed gears depending on what he was changing the bike would move sideways by a least a metre or so. guess what happened to him on the Perdeberg bumps he dropped a chain (big blade big sprocket mistake).

I have noticed how people have referred to this as a race in the tread - it was a FUNRIDE - their was no winner (not even road cycling), somebody crossed the finnish line before everyone else and that was that!

In the afternoon their was a Lights by Linea road race 150km which David Garrett won!

So why do I say not even cycling won - well PPA have turned their back on racing cycling (thus no place for the racing snakes like myself), I have noticed the finishing number are more than 100 cyclist down on last year which probably mean the start numbers are also more than 100 down - which in turn means hosting Road fun ride for the Fun ride organizer becomes less finically viable - which in turn will mean less road funride - which already have seen a steady decline over the past few year. At the current rate we in the Cape will have as many road funride in a few years time a does Durban!

Hit the wrong button on the alarm and rocked up a bit on the late side (hang head in shame) Ended up doing the 45 thinking it was going to be pretty average but turned out to be a fair hack around as there were only about 10 of us in the first group A - I.

Props to the guys who pulled and in a group of 10 odd shame on those who hid. ;)

Hit the wrong button on the alarm and rocked up a bit on the late side (hang head in shame) Ended up doing the 45 thinking it was going to be pretty average but turned out to be a fair hack around as there were only about 10 of us in the first group A - I.

Props to the guys who pulled and in a group of 10 odd shame on those who hid. ;)

I also did the 45km (coming from Ceres the long ride just starts too early), myself and a seeded A guy broke away 5 km in and TT the rest of the ride. Managed to stay away from the group by two minutes, thought you guys might catch us into the head wind. Turned around at the end and found my father and brother and rode back with them. Fun day, it was great that the wind wasn't too much of a factor.

I have noticed how people have referred to this as a race in the tread - it was a FUNRIDE - their was no winner (not even road cycling), somebody crossed the finnish line before everyone else and that was that!

In the afternoon their was a Lights by Linea road race 150km which David Garrett won!

So why do I say not even cycling won - well PPA have turned their back on racing cycling (thus no place for the racing snakes like myself), I have noticed the finishing number are more than 100 cyclist down on last year which probably mean the start numbers are also more than 100 down - which in turn means hosting Road fun ride for the Fun ride organizer becomes less finically viable - which in turn will mean less road funride - which already have seen a steady decline over the past few year. At the current rate we in the Cape will have as many road funride in a few years time a does Durban!

This PPA vendetta is old hat. PPA is a funride association, not a race snake convention. The greater majority of Cape riders, to whom the PPA owes it's allegiance, are weekend warriors. I'm not interested in a PPA vs CSA debate, that's been covered by numerous other threads. The PPA roadie season is jampacked, specifically as a consequence of the PPA's support of its majority members.100 cyclists down in one race, but 200 up in the next. Swings and roundabouts. Viewing a single race in isolation skews the point you're making. If you don't like the way they operate, don't pay their membership fee or participate in the funrides. The PPA can do no wrong as far as I, and many others, are concerned.

Enjoy your evening.

What an eventfull race.

Started in E-F group,, pace was fairly relaxed in the beginning, and only started to pick up a bit at the little rise after the Fruitsellers 4 Way. About twenty km in there was some sand / gravel washed onto the road surface, and nobody indicated it. The one chap got a moer of a skrik when he saw the sand, and slammed on the brakes. Oke behind him swerved out to miss him, and took the rider infront of me's wheel out. Tis poor oke went down hard, I first went over his bike and then straight into him. Went over the handlebars, did a nice tuck and roll, and had a fairly soft landing ontop of this poor oke before sliding onto the sand.

Got up, inspected my bike for damage, straightened the shifters, had to bend the rear derailer away from the wheel and could continue. Only a few scrapes to my left leg and elbow, no blood was drawn. (at home I noticed my whole back was full of sand, even my jersey pockets was filled with it)

Took it slow from then on, waiting for my friends in the other bunches to catch up. Did however help guys dropped from their bunches by pacing them back to the bunches, and then sitting up again and waited for the next bunch.

Did this for 40 km until my one friend that started in K caught up on the R304, and then kept him company to the finish.

Was as a result not a good time (did not even go over the timing mats), but did have a good workout with lots of intervals when helping people chasing down their groups.

Today I am a bit stiff and sore in my left shoulder and neck, but no great discomfort.

This PPA vendetta is old hat. PPA is a funride association, not a race snake convention. The greater majority of Cape riders, to whom the PPA owes it's allegiance, are weekend warriors. I'm not interested in a PPA vs CSA debate, that's been covered by numerous other threads. The PPA roadie season is jampacked, specifically as a consequence of the PPA's support of its majority members.100 cyclists down in one race, but 200 up in the next. Swings and roundabouts. Viewing a single race in isolation skews the point you're making. If you don't like the way they operate, don't pay their membership fee or participate in the funrides. The PPA can do no wrong as far as I, and many others, are concerned.

Enjoy your evening.

As far as CSA / PPA goes and their court case - I was told last week from a person who was on the committee until this past AGM that SASCOC is now been very supportive of CSA's case - and this person feels that PPA has possibly taken on a case which they now only have 50% chance of winning. I have always been told by my lawyer never go to court unless you 75% sure you going to win - going to the high court cost huge buck.

I notice you are a MTB rider - well if I was a MTB ride I may have the same opinion of PPA - after all the amount amount of money that is channel from the Cape Argus Pick 'n Pay cycle tour - a road event into MTB riding is huge! But I am a roadie who has been a member of PPA for 31 years and who has done 30 Cycles tours - I have seen the road funride calendar when on a number of weekend their are road funride on both the Sat and the Sun along with league racing - those were the good time, to what PPA facilitates now for road riders. I don't think this year their will have been 1 double weekend of PPA road funrides!

Icycling,

I used to spit blood in League too over the last few seasons.

Definitely get your drift.

Please take the political discussions to its relevant place.

Your opinion is an important one.

Edited by ' Dale