Carbon MTB/ Road Shoes

Caerus

I will be taking delivery of my new road bike on Monday, so am looking at getting some carbon soled shoes that I can use for both the MTB & the new road bike, as I don't feel like splashing out too much, I needed a new pair of shoes anyway and was hoping that I can find a pair that is suitable for both.

Secondly, what are the best pedals to use if I'm going be using mountain bike shoes on the road bike, something that won't weigh a too much either.

I do like the Spez shoes as they seem to fit my feet better, my feet are broad so nothing to narrow.

Any suggestions please?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Both Shimano and Sidi shoes very comfy (for me) One shoe for all would have to be a MTB shoe, and MTB pedals on your road bike. As for pedals, I like the candy's.

Edited by LikeToRide

I have Spez road and MTB shoes, love them. I found the Sidi a "narrow" fit & price wise, they not much cheaper.

Choice between S-Works or Pro is stiffness factor difference of 2 so are you willing to pay round 1k more for the S-works branding and stiffer shoe? I did :whistling:

Pedals, if you like a tight foot to pedal feel, i say go Look S-Track, they under R900 (even seen new for R700) and they lighter than Shimano, no external springs to lube, they take hits on rocks very well & don't bend like cooking utensils. & they look pimp :ph34r:

I have Spez road and MTB shoes, love them. I found the Sidi a "narrow" fit & price wise, they not much cheaper.

Choice between S-Works or Pro is stiffness factor difference of 2 so are you willing to pay round 1k more for the S-works branding and stiffer shoe? I did :whistling:

Pedals, if you like a tight foot to pedal feel, i say go Look S-Track, they under R900 (even seen new for R700) and they lighter than Shimano, no external springs to lube, they take hits on rocks very well & don't bend like cooking utensils. & they look pimp :ph34r:

Thanks for the reply. I don't mind the extra grand if they fit well and will last a while, my last pair of shoes have served me well for over 5 years now so time for an upgrade me thinks. As for the pedals, I want a pair just for the road bike, but that will work for the same shoe/ cleats. I have a spare pair of Shimano SPD's but they are fairly heavy.

Thanks for the reply. I don't mind the extra grand if they fit well and will last a while, my last pair of shoes have served me well for over 5 years now so time for an upgrade me thinks. As for the pedals, I want a pair just for the road bike, but that will work for the same shoe/ cleats. I have a spare pair of Shimano SPD's but they are fairly heavy.

I might have a pair of SPD road pedals somewhere - they are road pedals, but use an MTB SPD cleat - and are no longer made as far as I know - let me see if I can find where they are, and you can have them - they work fine with MTB shoes - which for me is SIDI.. only... my current set is on it's 3rd set of soles... and the shoes are still good.

I might have a pair of SPD road pedals somewhere - they are road pedals, but use an MTB SPD cleat - and are no longer made as far as I know - let me see if I can find where they are, and you can have them - they work fine with MTB shoes - which for me is SIDI.. only... my current set is on it's 3rd set of soles... and the shoes are still good.

If you can find them that would be awesome, I'm up in Jozi this weekend, so maybe we could make a plan to meet up somewhere, thanks for the input.

Best place to buy soles and inserts in Jhb please? Mine is worn beyond recognition, clearly I walk too much :blush:

Caerus - price around, last time i called all the shops in JHB when i was looking for MTB shoes for the gf (they don't bring in ladies S-Works if you ever looking, you'll need to import), even the free state. Sometimes they have the shoes and are willing to ship cheaper as they don't get as much foot traffic and their overheads are less.

JC - try contact ASG directly, i eventually got for my old Sidi road shoes @ a 94.7 expo.

Caerus - price around, last time i called all the shops in JHB when i was looking for MTB shoes for the gf (they don't bring in ladies S-Works if you ever looking, you'll need to import), even the free state. Sometimes they have the shoes and are willing to ship cheaper as they don't get as much foot traffic and their overheads are less.

JC - try contact ASG directly, i eventually got for my old Sidi road shoes @ a 94.7 expo.

Been quoted R2800 for the S-Works shoes at Melrose Concept Cyclery in Jozi , going tomorrow to check them out. Then will check out Northcliff Cycles as well.

Best place to buy soles and inserts in Jhb please? Mine is worn beyond recognition, clearly I walk too much :blush:

ASG - they shipped them to a bike shop for me and I collected and paid there.

I have the bits I took off - you are welcome to see if they will fit and are better than what you have... :)

If you can find them that would be awesome, I'm up in Jozi this weekend, so maybe we could make a plan to meet up somewhere, thanks for the input.

I am 100% sure they are not in Jhb... think they are on a shelf in PE.... bear with me - I will find them if they are still around....

Specialized,Sidi or Suplest? Just trying to narrow down between the two now

Edited by Caerus

Specialized or Sidi? Just trying to narrow down between the two now

SIDI.... no question...

They almost last too long..... I still use a set of Ergo 1's on my road bike.... and they have not available for years... and a set of Ergo 2 still in a box, and 2 sets of Eagle 6 shoes....

I have given away all my other non Sidi shoes - except 1 pair of Shimano roads - which are also going soon as I find a suitable recipient.

SIDI.... no question...

They almost last too long..... I still use a set of Ergo 1's on my road bike.... and they have not available for years... and a set of Ergo 2 still in a box, and 2 sets of Eagle 6 shoes....

I have given away all my other non Sidi shoes - except 1 pair of Shimano roads - which are also going soon as I find a suitable recipient.

Sidi Eagle 6 for R2300 or Sidi Dragon 5(not sure of price but CWC will sort me out) Will stick with Shimano Pedals as they are on both my other bikes

Sidi Eagle 6 for R2300 or Sidi Dragon 5(not sure of price but CWC will sort me out) Will stick with Shimano Pedals as they are on both my other bikes

www.bikewear.co.za .... speak to Wayne... also known as Malachi...

Since when do they make a dragon 5? There is very little difference between the Eagles 6 and the Dragon 3 ito comfort or performance - but the Dragons are a little nicer... or go big and get a set of Drako's...

www.bikewear.co.za .... speak to Wayne... also known as Malachi...

Since when do they make a dragon 5? There is very little difference between the Eagles 6 and the Dragon 3 ito comfort or performance - but the Dragons are a little nicer... or go big and get a set of Drako's...

Sorry my bad, it's the Dragon 3 for R3250 and the Eagles for R2300