Bike transport (Argus) - F$*@ING ANNOYING

word

I just found out (by pure chance) that if you are flying SAA and want them to take your bike to the Argus, they are charging R200 PER SECTOR. That means R400 JHB-CPT return. AngryAngryAngryAngry They have not charged before and Kulula are not charging.

Another typical example of bureacracy fleecing the public!!!!!

Not nice, but I think it stems from all the claims against them with regards to damage to Bicycles. Now they will be handled and 'crated' correctly which is labour intensive.

However, they should have given people notice timeously when bookings were done.

In 2005 my Bicycle went missing for almost a week after the Argus. British Airways could not find it. It turned out it never left Cape Town and was 'hidden' behind some boxes at their cargo section. 

Mango is charging R150 each way - but they posted that on their website long before ... so I decided to pay R150 extra for bike to go with a professional transport company close to where I stay ...

Why shouldn't they charge for the bikes? You want to transport something exceeding their size restrictions which needs extra handling and it might also be the 2nd item you check in. So of course you have to pay - the bike takes up room in the cargo compartement as well!

In europe you pay 60 ? ( > 600 ZAR) one way for sporting items.

Of course I wouldn't mind transporting my stuff for free either and if other airlines do transport your bike for free it's nice but not the rule.

Problem solved Clap. Found a company called BIKE MIGRATION. They will transport the bike to the Argus by CLOSED truck, you do not need to dismantle your bike, they are parking at Greenpoint Stadium (same as the others) AND......they only cost R525.

This is a small premium over SAA but you dont need to keep driving to the airport (SAA have to drop your bike off before saturday and you can only get your bike some time later the next week), no dismantling and packing up of the bike, bike is placed back in the truck at the finish line etc.

Just booked my bike and there are only 20 more spots available.

DCB Logistics also have options for bike transport to the Argus. logon to www.velo.co.za and see the link to the pdf file...You can choose for them to collect from you for R650 or drop off with them for R500...aslo an insurance option. Big Mig2008-02-15 10:09:21

Hi Guys.

Everythingbicycling still has a couple of spots available at more or less R350 per bike. (It includes the cost of insurance of total destruction/theft of the trailer.) The collection point is also at Greenpoint Stadium. In addition you can send you helmet, waterbottle and shoes with us. AND there's no dismantling required.

Feel free to give Albert a call on 082 897 0084.

I don't think it is just SAA that charges R200/bike/sector.

I bought tickets on Mango last year April allready and they also charge the R200/bike/sector.

I think one will be better off sending your bike''down'' to Cpt with a courier company and pay a bit more than having it loaded into the hold of a aircraft with a thousand other bikes and hope it will get there ok???

Just my two cents worth.

Happy cycling !!!!! 

Mango = SAA = Mango, so there policies should be much the same.

SAA should have advertised earlier, they cannot expect payment now after setting the precedent of transaporting bikes for free for so long.  When I last flew in Europe it was free.  Easyjet flew me a number of sectors with no additional charge for "oversize sports equipment".  I have no problem with airlines charging, but they need to make it public when the flight is booked ie they cannot change the rules once the ticket is bought and paid for.

Sorry, but the ticket you booked was for yourself, 1 piece of cabin baggage (usually 7kg) and I piece checked baggage weighing not more than 20kg.

Its also up to pax to check the conditions pertaining to the ticket and imagine if everyone on every flight just arrived with a huge cardboard box demanding that it accompanies them. There'd be utter chaos!

Anyway, I don't see why I should put up with endless crahp when I want to fly and I have a camera bag and a laptop bag which together meet both size and weight limits, but its two pieces of cabin baggage.

Why should you get away with taking a bicycle (extra) which then might mean my piece of checked baggage gets left behind. 

idrive2008-02-16 10:26:18

That isn't strictly true.  All airlines have special rules for oversize "sporting goods".  They do not count towards your checked baggage allowance.  Also its usually 2 items of checked luggage. 

In any case, whenever I have travelled with my bike (which I imagine will still be free generally), the combined weight of the bike bag and my other luggage is significantly less than 20kg.  The last time I went to the Argus on my own I only took carry-on luggage, plus the checked bike (which in the bag weighs around 11kg).

I am not going to the Argus this year, but I know from previous years that the "rules" for the Argus bikes are only released around now.  How can you expect someone who booked a ticket in September to now pay extra when if you look up the FAQ's on the SAA website in September you would have seen that bike transport was free. 

I assume that both Comair airlines are free as usual.

True, but usually only if it is arranged in advance. I've also travelled with my bike (in a box) and stuffed clothes etc into the box so I had one piece of checked luggage. They don't worry too much about a bike boxed, but I know some airlines refuse to carry loose bikes ..... they used to.

The point I was making was that passengers should check things like baggage restrictions when they book the ticket.

A few years ago I went to CT the same weekend as the Argus and my bag never ever arrived - got it during the following week when I was already home - SAA told me the reason was because of all the bikes they had to carry.