Yeti SB95C, Santa Cruz Tallboy 2, Turner Csar or BMC Fourstroke FS01?

Firewater

I'm looking to buy a XC, marathon bike that will also be a good all rounder. I do the occasional short races/rides but prefer longer stage races and trail riding. All the bikes mentioned got good reviews, and except for the BMC, the others are frame plus build what your heart desires. The problem is none of the bikes (again except for the BMC) is available to take for a test ride. I don't want to spend a crap load of money only to find out I bought the wrong bike. I'd really appreciate any comments from anyone who actually own/rode any of the bikes..... I'm not a lightweight at 100kg and about 1,9....Build will most likely be 2x10 XO with Rockshox SID 100mm (the Yeti is 120mm)...

I have only ridden the tallboy out of the list above, and it is awesome! im also a massive Santa Cruz fan! the Linkage is great and easily serviceable with grease ports etc. BUT i reckon you cant go wrong with ANY of the bikes you have mentioned. Seriously

In terms of intended purpose I'd say the Yeti and SC is geared more towards trail riding, Fourstroke very XC focused and the Turner somewhere in the middle.

Of the four I'd go with the Turner. It's geometry and on-bike feel belies it's travel. The DW-link is in a league of it's own with the SC a distant second, Yeti very reliant on shock performance and again the BMC trailing somewhat behind.

Turner's DW will also be the better all-round platform with the widest tuning range.. SC's VPP is descent biased.

If I were you, I'd include the Ibis Ripley. Great geometry, bit more travel (120) and does the best job of blurring the lines between XC / Trail and Enduro.

1. Ibis Ripley

2. Turner Czar

3. Tallboy

4. Yeti

6. Fourstroke

5. Momsen VIPA?

Well, considering I have a long travel 27.5 Ibis Mojo and what I want from my 29er, my list will look like this...

1. Momsen Vipa

2. Ibis Ripley

3. Turner Czar

4. Tallboy

5. Yeti

7. Fourstroke

Should I have to replace both with one 29er it will look like this

1. Ibis Ripley

2. BMC Trailfox

3. Rocky Mountain Instinct MSL BC Edition

4. Intense Carbine 29er

5. too many good bikes out there at the moment to really decide.

In terms of intended purpose I'd say the Yeti and SC is geared more towards trail riding, Fourstroke very XC focused and the Turner somewhere in the middle.

Of the four I'd go with the Turner. It's geometry and on-bike feel belies it's travel. The DW-link is in a league of it's own with the SC a distant second, Yeti very reliant on shock performance and again the BMC trailing somewhat behind.

Turner's DW will also be the better all-round platform with the widest tuning range.. SC's VPP is descent biased.

If I were you, I'd include the Ibis Ripley. Great geometry, bit more travel (120) and does the best job of blurring the lines between XC / Trail and Enduro.

1. Ibis Ripley

2. Turner Czar

3. Tallboy

4. Yeti

6. Fourstroke

Thanks The Crow. Just the sort of info I'm looking for. I've heard the same comments about the Turner and definitely think it's worth having a decent look at it.

Thanks The Crow. Just the sort of info I'm looking for. I've heard the same comments about the Turner and definitely think it's worth having a decent look at it.

:thumbup:

Plus the Turner agents are top-notch. Not sure if you've seen this review:

http://reviews.mtbr.com/review-turner-czar-29er

"A tightwad like me has a hard time putting up that kind of justification for that price so let’s just say that if one were to spend $7,000 or so on a bike one would expect that bike to be just about perfect. And the Turner Czar is just about as close to a perfect bike as one can envision. It’s beautiful. Its performance uphill and downhill is superlative. Its range of useability is insanely large. If you are in the market for a high-end carbon 29er full-suspension bike, the Turner Czar must be on the list for consideration."

Tactic I rode the Vipa, Czar,Sworks epic, Scalpel.

I chose the czar, most comfortable of the 4 and the best descender. The second in the agility side to the Vipa on the downs but far more plush and compliant. The flat single track makes for a fast sworks but didnt give you confidence on the descends because of a harsh rear end.

Its on par with a Scapel, ito of race and trail orientation but not as racy as the Epic and the Vipa.

I run mine with a lefty, so its incredibly compliant, and at 10 kg. With marathon and stage racing in your choice conditions a scalpel or czar are both good bets. If you went more trail orientated, look at the Pivot or the Ibis bikes.

Tactic I rode the Vipa, Czar,Sworks epic, Scalpel.

I chose the czar, most comfortable of the 4 and the best descender. The second in the agility side to the Vipa on the downs but far more plush and compliant. The flat single track makes for a fast sworks but didnt give you confidence on the descends because of a harsh rear end.

Its on par with a Scapel, ito of race and trail orientation but not as racy as the Epic and the Vipa.

I run mine with a lefty, so its incredibly compliant, and at 10 kg. With marathon and stage racing in your choice conditions a scalpel or czar are both good bets. If you went more trail orientated, look at the Pivot or the Ibis bikes.

Kenny post a picture of that Czar with a Lefty.

Santa cruz tallboy LTC.

Trail bike fun, with enough oomph to do the normal XCM stuff we Saffers tend to gravitate towards.

Sure you wont win races on it , but its a blast to ride and its light enough for the stuff we ride.

If your penchant is for XCM , XCO the normal tallboy also rocks.

If u want a brilliant XC bike that can double as a trail-bike, and want to save a whole lot of moolah go for a giant anthem 29er.

There is a reason every tom dick and harry has one, its because bang for buck, not much comes close.

Thats for bikes Ive owned or ridden.

Heard good things about Pyga, Yeti, Pivot and the new scotts (with the fox shock) but cannot comment from experience.

I have the fourstroke which I am very happy with. It is XC focused with some trail ability. I have a Yeti ASR5C as well and still am happy to ride the BMC at Giba.

It's frame is very light - the lightest of this bunch I am sure. Its weight won me over - I enjoy climbing on her at 10.2kgs.

Have ridden the Santa Cruz too and was impressed - a descenders bike for sure. Watched my mate fly down the Berg and Bush trails this weekend on it.

This is the only pic I have, I was still busy with the build, cable and grips are long since done.