Amashova registration

E1A104

Amashova registration in Durban only !!! I wonder if this fine race is turning into another argus-fleece-the-vaalies-for-as-much-as-you-can-event. Would seem that the same people that do the argus expo are doing the Amashova expo and do not want to spilt the registration venues as it dilutes the amount of paying people they can force into the expo area - what a load of cr*p.

I was planning on picking up my race number at Cycle Lab, staying in PMB on Saturday night and the significant other would drive the car to DBN. Now I have to either stay in DBN and struggle up to PMB the morning of the race and then another trip back to DBN or still stay in PMB and drive to DBN and back just to get my race number. Not as if I want to attend the expo or buy anything there either so why force me to attend??

Is it a valid point or is sitting in this concrete cube (when I could be riding) finally getting to me?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt that it will make a difference - might be a better idea not to enter and hit them where it hurts most - bank balance.

Email Annie or Melissa at events@pixie.co.za and I am sure they will give you their reasons or perhaps the Joburg registration dates have not yet been finalised.  Most of their decisions are made on the basis of the feedback sent by cyclists after the race.

Hi Linnega.

I have already, that is where I got the info from. I can see why the organisers of the expo would want as many people to attend as Expo as possible but why disadvantage those people who do not want to visit the Expo and make them ride the extra km's to fetch race #'s? It has not put me off entering, just makes it more difficult, more expensive and time consuming.

E1A104, a bunch of us are going down on the friday and staying just outside howick. we're gonna drive throught o durbs on the saturday to register - if you'd like i can get your number for you and we can sort out for you to get it from me or michH or amateur (or whoever from our group) at the start...

Thats dissapointing - because I will now not ride the event.

I was going to enter in the next couple of days, but I simply cannot afford the time from work to go down to Durban to register. Like most folk I know from Gauteng, I collect my number from "wherever?" in Johannesburg before the time,  drive down Sat. afternoon and stay in Pietermaritzburg sat. night.

No ways am I going to drive down to Durban to register, so I guess I wont be riding, its just too inconvenient for me.

Hi Slowpoke ons gaan ook Amashova toe..

Waar gaan julle bly.Ons beplan ook om die vrydag oggend vroeg te ry en in durban te kom.. Miskien kan ons dalk saam af ry kan net lekker wees smiley17.gif

snapshot, ons het 'n oulikke plekkie net buite howick op die dam se kant gevind - huidiglik is daar ses van ons in 'n 8 slaapplek chalet. dit klink soos 'n lekker idee om 'n klomp saam te ry. ek weet nie hoe vroeg die oggend ry ons - dit hang af van die bestuurders. Ons sal bietjie "closer to the time" moet gesels maar ek sal nou al begin "hint" vir MichH en Mr MichH asook die ander mense. Ek dink amateur het al besluit om die hele dag af te vat ;-)

die chalet gaan ons so R130 per person per night kos, maar ek weet nie wat hulle gewone pryse is nie. ek was aan hulle verwys deur 'n kollega wat onlangs daar gebly het vir 'n naweek.

Going by Train.

The train org's arranges for the collection of the race no.s. We get them on the train.

Wannabe2006-08-30 07:11:09

I suspected the reason may be to get people to Suncoast.  Suncoast are providing more and more in terms of sponsorship, so I guess they feel that by forcing everyone to come to Durban they can increase the volumes at the complex and cover their sponsorship costs.

I do agree with you guys that it is a bit shortsighted.  When you pay close on R200, you expect a little more convenience.

Hmmm, I have already entered, but I am disappointed in this state of affairs and I am just not going to ride.

I cannot see the sense of forcing entrants who drive through (and stay) in Pietermaritzburg to drive the extra 200 odd kms to Durban and back - I am actually not gonna do it.!

If its an issue to get the numbers up to Johannesburg, then at least have the numbers available on Sat. in Pietermaritzburg - this would make sense to me.

I hear what you say Linnega, but on a point to point race like this, it is inconsiderate and smacks of supreme arrogance to force entrants to drive 200 kms out of our way.

They have my money this year - and I doubt now I will ride - but for sure, they wont get my entrance fee next time.

I have always enjoyed the event (except the windsmiley36.gif) but when I am paying R200.00 odd to enter a race, driving 1200 kms to support, spending money supporting the local tourist industry with hotel accomodation, restaurants, shops (my wife will see to that) and whatever else I may do, I expect at the very least to have my day be considered by the organisers and be subject to as little inconvenience as possible.