Cyclist mugged and shot yesterday afternoon close to Woodlands

awesme

2. Ethiopia - this is an African country that was NEVER colonised. Today it's one of the most desolate places on the planet. Question: Who "disadvantaged" the people of Ethiopia?

... other quasi-racist klap trap ....

FYI here's a bit on the history of Ethiopia from Wikipedia, very easily found by googling "History of Ethiopia"

In 1529 an invasion by the Muslim Adal Sultanate supported by the Ottoman Empire devastated the highlands, and was only deterred by a Portuguese intervention. With both Ethiopia and Adal greatly weakened by the war, the Oromo people were able to migrate into the highlands, conquering the remains of the Adal Sultanate and pushing deep into Ethiopia. The Portuguese presence also increased, while the Ottomans began to push into what is now Eritrea, creating the Habesh Eyalet. The Portuguese brought modern weapons and baroque architecture to Ethiopia, and in 1622 converted the emperor Susenyos I to Catholicism, sparking a civil war which ended in his abdication and an expulsion of all Catholics from Ethiopia. A new capital was established at Gondar in 1632, and a period of peace and prosperity ensued until the country was split apart by warlords in the 18th century during the Zemene Mesafint.

Ethiopia was reunified in 1855 by Tewodros II, beginning Ethiopia's modern history. Ethiopia began to go through a slow modernisation process, and defended itself from an Egyptian invasion in 1874. Under Menelik II Ethiopia defeated an Italian invasion in 1896 and came to be recognised as a legitimate state by European powers. A more rapid modernisation took place under Menelik II and Haile Selassie, however this was not enough to detter another Italian invasion in 1935. The modern Italian army annexed Ethiopia and combined it with its other colonies to create Italian East Africa, forcing Haile Selassie to flee the country. A joined force of British and Ethiopian rebels managed to drive the Italians out of the country in 1941, and Haile Selassie was returned to the throne. Ethiopia and Eritrea joined to a federation, but when Haile Selassie ended the federation in 1961 and made Eritrea a province of Ethiopia a war for Eritrean independence occurred, lasting until 1991

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic