S.A. downhill ladies

Wyatt Earp

Not to burst anyone's bubble but masters world champs for the ladies in all disciplines was a joke.

Most of the categories did not even have 10 participants.

And then 9 of the 10 were saffas.

Come one how can you call that World champs

That is a pretty bitchy comment playing down the achievements of the ladies who did turn up.

If it were so easy you should have turned up to claim your medal...

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Omega Man

Not to burst anyone's bubble but masters world champs for the ladies in all disciplines was a joke.

If you can beat Rika in a race then you can chirp.

That is a pretty bitchy comment playing down the achievements of the ladies who did turn up.

If it were so easy you should have turned up to claim your medal...

MEOUWWWW CATFIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you can beat Rika in a race then you can chirp.

I never said they were not good.

I said that you cannot call it a world champs as the field was very limited and "the world " was not represented.

It looked like a glorified SA champs.

The question here is , which discipline are you referring to ?

The downhill ladies the pretty well.

Totally agree. Our ladies were taken to the cleaners on that XCO course.The technical of the XCO and XCE course left a lot of them taking chicken lines, walking/running throuhg the treehouse rock garden, and trying to jump when they really shouldn't... that said, I will not deny that they are still top class athletes... just lacking in the technical in those 2 arenas.

Yip, some of the SA ladies I've seen racing here struggle with the technical stuff.

If you look at Yolanda Speedy, she is a good example of the kind of background you need to do well at the international elite level. She started off racing DH and XCO in her early days, much like Burry did.

Wow, never realised she was good on a downhill rig.

I heard via-via about some girl who claims she raced on the downhill circuit overseas (but call BS on that one)

Thus me asking.

Thanks for the answer, I did think it was a big no.

Here is my logic however.

On the XCO side I don't see an S.A. ladies champ for a long time, on the XCO Marathon circuit, I fear the same.

However on the DH circuit there is a lot of vibe around these athletes and much media exposure around them.

How could would it not be if we had an S.A. lady on the circuit.

I think there is a bit of potential for XCO ... Mariske Strauss and Candice Neethling are getting experience and doing well as U23s (couple of top ten results) and most importantly improving, while junior Bianca Haw has loads of talent and her World Champs result was impressive. With a bit more experience overseas, we may see some big things from her. The good thing is that there is competition as well so the three of them will push each other.

And watch for Genevieve van Coller. Daughter of Olympic 500m final canoeist Alan (Sydney and Athens). She is going to be doing some XCO this year and I think she could do well. She won the junior Xterra World Champs in Holland this year and riding with Alan was fourth OVERALL in the 2-day Berg and Bush last weekend -- she is just 16 and was lying second after day 1. Some serious talent and good genes there.

Yip, some of the SA ladies I've seen racing here struggle with the technical stuff.

If you look at Yolanda Speedy, she is a good example of the kind of background you need to do well at the international elite level. She started off racing DH and XCO in her early days, much like Burry did.

But even she was outclassed by the tech abilities of the foreign ladies

The question here is , which discipline are you referring to ?

The downhill ladies the pretty well.

What do you guys think

Would the results looked different if more international riders turned up for the race?

Specially with the XCO

Guest Omega Man

I said that you cannot call it a world champs as the field was very limited and "the world " was not represented.

At regional and National races Rika spanks 60% of the men's field. The Masters Worlds is always dominated by the host nation. Simply cos it costs money to go to worlds and the riders have to fund themselves.

So your comments are misinformed and pretty stupid in my opinion. Rika is a worthy world champion.

I think there is a bit of potential for XCO ... Mariske Strauss and Candice Neethling are getting experience and doing well as U23s (couple of top ten results) and most importantly improving, while junior Bianca Haw has loads of talent and her World Champs result was impressive. With a bit more experience overseas, we may see some big things from her. The good thing is that there is competition as well so the three of them will push each other.

And watch for Genevieve van Coller. Daughter of Olympic 500m final canoeist Alan (Sydney and Athens). She is going to be doing some XCO this year and I think she could do well. She won the junior Xterra World Champs in Holland this year and riding with Alan was fourth OVERALL in the 2-day Berg and Bush last weekend -- she is just 16 and was lying second after day 1. Some serious talent and good genes there.

I agree we have girls that are doing well, however when it gets to elite level the tables could quickly be turned.

(not saying this is what will happen here)

But the girls who turned up had ZERO control of the numbers and 'world representation'. Everyone including ALL the girls competing would have preferred a bigger field. They would all be the 1st to say, I placed, BUT there were only x number of girls in the category. Fact is on the day they placed! Not sure why you're trying to play it down?

Sounds like the world series of baseball in America... its only America that plays.

That song of Michael Jackson comes to mind, we are the world... yanks take that literally

There are not a lot of girls involved in the elites age group. Only Stacy Bryant (also from BMX) and Nadia Botha who won SA Champs & SA Circuit. Nadia would have represented SA at World Champs but there was some issue with her citizenship... She is from the UK but married a Saffer.

But to answer the question... I doubt we'll see a SA lady on the circuit anytime soon. We simply do not have big enough numbers to make it happen unless some sort of anomaly crops up. SA DH riders get very little support & exposure from the local cycling scene. Our male national champ pays for his own bike, which he bought 2nd hand. I seriously doubt that would happen in XC.

yup, totally agree!

Our national DH champ placed 23rd overall on his second hand bike that he paid for himself. (not to mention the other 2 SA riders we had in 16th and of course 1st... but they are sponsored)

Our fastest XCO rider placed 47th. And the big name sponsored riders in SA MTB, placed 53rd and 54th.

I think Julias needs to get onto this and redistribute some wealth.

I agree we have girls that are doing well, however when it gets to elite level the tables could quickly be turned.

(not saying this is what will happen here)

The step up from U23 to elite is huge and will be very tough for them, but at least there seems to be some potential ... I just hope they get support to continue riding overseas so they can gain experience and improve their technical skills

Archived