S.A. downhill ladies

Wyatt Earp

hahaha...you just jogged my memory of an epic fall I had in the green belts in and around Richards Bay, way back when before my Gary Fischer was stolen...came round a gentle left, noticed the BMX type jump some kids just built, 0.0001sec reflex and I hit that jump hard...0.00000001 seconds later realised that all that flying time will end badly in 2 seconds and it did...it was snot, mud, blood and my winded chest for the next 5 minutes but thankfully no spectators to cheer me on...

I have been *** scared of jumping ever since I had an epic wipeout when i was about 9 or 10 on my bmx. The old pmb bmx track had a double hump as the first obstacle after the ramp..but it was at least a 2m total jump. I had decided to go for it and half way through changed the mind. It wasnt even a casing, it was a full blown nose dive into the other hump...net result was a broken wrist and fear of altitude for the rest of my life....I need to get over it now

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could you send him my way too? Got three weeks of leave due starting tomorrow, and nothing to do except play with those mounds of dirt I got too lazy to do much about some time back… :blush:

You should be colluding with Eldron, Dips, Wayne and the rest of them..... There were rumblings of a bike park at Eldron's a few weeks ago. Tell them the dirt has been delivered to your place and they need to report for duty with a spade. I seem to remember somebody mentioning earth moving equipment as well. Bird told me you knew your way around a bobcat as well as a golf cart.... :ph34r:

Edit: Alternatively you could try bribe a spruit fairy or two with a multibeer.....

You should be colluding with Eldron, Dips, Wayne and the rest of them..... There were rumblings of a bike park at Eldron's a few weeks ago. Tell them the dirt has been delivered to your place and they need to report for duty with a spade. I seem to remember somebody mentioning earth moving equipment as well. Bird told me you knew your way around a bobcat as well as a golf cart.... :ph34r:

Hehehehehe! I know how to get myself the hell out of the way of a golf cart! :eek: :D

Hehehehehe! I know how to get myself the hell out of the way of a golf cart! :eek: :D

Given half a chance you would take the wheel I'm sure!

Guest Omega Man

TOTES! Let's start Jump School. Since Hogwarts didn't work out for you, let me know how your Jedi quest is going and if it sucks you can just join jump school instead ;)

2 Step process.

1. Come to Cape Town in December. Steilte trails are super progressive. Nice and safe. I guarantee after 4 days there you've know how to jump.

2. Come to France next year and put those jumping skills to use.

Given half a chance you would take the wheel I'm sure!

:devil:

They did have more interesting transport as Cascades this year, but it seems their drivers were warned to take the keys out with me, Ratboy and Warner being in town… :whistling:

2 Step process.

1. Come to Cape Town in December. Steilte trails are super progressive. Nice and safe. I guarantee after 4 days there you've know how to jump.

2. Come to France next year and put those jumping skills to use.

I love it when you talk dirty :whistling:

Guest Omega Man

I love it when you talk dirty :whistling:

Hehe. Some shameless marketing there.

It's amazing how many people have the same complaint tho. That there's nothing progressive to ride. My argument for the last few years has been that stuff should be big. proper big but safe. In the Euro bikeparks the jumps are huuuge. but safe. big tables.

The doubles are off of the natural lines so you have to hit them on purpose and the bikeparks have drop zones and skill areas. Stuff that's sorely lacking here.

Why there are no women freeriders / slopestylers? (Anywhere)

Seen a couple of vids of women riders on www.nsmb.com.

Interesting topic and like a lot of marginal sports there has to be opportunity to compete regularly and reasonable competition. This alone doesn't make world champions but it can be a breeding ground. After that it is dedication, support, first from parents, then industry sponsors, then outside sponsors, finally and with little hope - CSA. I'm guessing in Europe, Oz, UK, NZ it's the other way round first government / federation then sponsors etc. Hence the numbers of riders from these areas.

Absolute dedication by the rider is common to all.

I disagree with WC Nige; Greg and Burry were not necessarily one off's.

I say this because I thought Greg Albertyn was a one off in world MX. Then came Grant Langston. Then Tyla Rattray who is still current. And there are some promising youngsters - Wade Young in Extreme Enduro looks good.

Teagan O' Keefe in woman's downhill?

Tongue in cheek - judging by the SA performances in the XC some of these riders need to do a bit of downhill to learn to manage the obstacles (which were extreme to the average rider I will admit).

First off I know very little about mountain biking or downhill. But I do know that SA did have a female rider on the downhill circuit in the 1990's, so for the guy who "called BS on that", I would like to tell you that you were wrong.

Kim Corser was a very capable young lady on a downhill bike. And I know she represented SA in the discipline. I find it incredibly sad that riders like this are forgotten. I know she was a multiple SA champ on the road and track before going over to MTB, so her talent was not fluke.

Just thought I would defend the honour of a young lady of former national pride. Would love to know if she is still riding as she came from a cycling crazed family as well.

Guest Omega Man

Tongue in cheek - judging by the SA performances in the XC some of these riders need to do a bit of downhill to learn to manage the obstacles (which were extreme to the average rider I will admit).

That's more of a function of 99% of the riding that gets done here don't you think?

First off I know very little about mountain biking or downhill. But I do know that SA did have a female rider on the downhill circuit in the 1990's, so for the guy who "called BS on that", I would like to tell you that you were wrong.

Kim Corser was a very capable young lady on a downhill bike. And I know she represented SA in the discipline. I find it incredibly sad that riders like this are forgotten. I know she was a multiple SA champ on the road and track before going over to MTB, so her talent was not fluke.

Just thought I would defend the honour of a young lady of former national pride. Would love to know if she is still riding as she came from a cycling crazed family as well.

i do beleive he was refferring to someone now...not in a previous century

@Stretch, if you read the first post on the first page, the question was asked "have we ever had?"

To which the answer is a resounding "YES"

A few posts on someone dismisses this as "BS"

Regardless of which century it was, the fact remains there has been a rider in the past who has represented the country in the ladies DH discipline.

Its a pity these riders arw forgotten.

@Stretch, if you read the first post on the first page, the question was asked "have we ever had?"

To which the answer is a resounding "YES"

A few posts on someone dismisses this as "BS"

Regardless of which century it was, the fact remains there has been a rider in the past who has represented the country in the ladies DH discipline.

Its a pity these riders arw forgotten.

for that...I apologise

Archived