Convertion or upgrade?

Jaco-fiets

Well, you have another option.

Run the XX1 crankset, the 11/36 at the back and that gives you options all the way down to a 28 tooth front end. The conversion will cost the same as the general lee.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't think I am a slouch on the bike. I actually would like some of the guys on their 32 or 34 with 11/36 to come join me on the trails around Wellington to see if they can comfortably ride the trails.

I guess I will have to try it before I shoot it down. Will cost me considerably less if it does turn out to be fine

Thanks for the help guys

I'm riding 2 X 10 at the moment with a 36 "big blade" and 11 - 36 cassette.

I rode the TransBaviaans this year without the need to change into my granny gear in front. So i managed to get over every climb with a 36 front and back. I'm not the smallest oke around and hardly a mountain goat.

If you are fairly fit, you should be able to ride most trails in the WC with a 34 in front and 11 - 36 at the back, in my opinion.

Well, you have another option.

Run the XX1 crankset, the 11/36 at the back and that gives you options all the way down to a 28 tooth front end. The conversion will cost the same as the general lee.

I assume that's great if you spend almost all of the time climbing?

Don't think I am a slouch on the bike. I actually would like some of the guys on their 32 or 34 with 11/36 to come join me on the trails around Wellington to see if they can comfortably ride the trails.

I guess I will have to try it before I shoot it down. Will cost me considerably less if it does turn out to be fine

Thanks for the help guys

I'm coming down to Stellenbosch for Dec, will test my 1 x 10 in Jonkershoek, Welvanpas etc...

Will be testing it this weekend at Cascades Enduro, also similar freakin steep climbing...

Maybe try experiments with normal chainrings to find the ring that fits before ordering a woolftooth ring

Maybe try experiments with normal chainrings to find the ring that fits before ordering a woolftooth ring

I would think that there's a damn good chance you would at least need to use a chain guide then?

Well just hopefully you'll have a RD with clutch but you or your mates might have a few chainrings lying around that you could pop on and test the ratios out not go hammer the trails with, some say you can to a fair degree with normal rings if you have a clutch RD

I'm riding 2 X 10 at the moment with a 36 "big blade" and 11 - 36 cassette.

I rode the TransBaviaans this year without the need to change into my granny gear in front. So i managed to get over every climb with a 36 front and back. I'm not the smallest oke around and hardly a mountain goat.

If you are fairly fit, you should be able to ride most trails in the WC with a 34 in front and 11 - 36 at the back, in my opinion.

Don't agree with you here. I will put money on the fact that you will do a lot of walking around here with that ratio.

Already have the 32Twolf chain ring. There is a fitting/body available now which you can use to run 1x11 cassettes on any wheelset. It retails for R600. Don't ask me what the name is but the mechanic at bikeshop told me about it today

Don't agree with you here. I will put money on the fact that you will do a lot of walking around here with that ratio.

_C50_ is a local and I was his partner on the TB.

I recon the only issie with going 1 x 10 is whether you are going to run out of gears on the downhills. Another training partner, 90kg+ rides 32 x 36 and is comfortable on all around Botlary hills and Hilcrest, but will be changing to 30 x 36 for W2W.

_C50_ is a local and I was his partner on the TB.

I recon the only issie with going 1 x 10 is whether you are going to run out of gears on the downhills. Another training partner, 90kg+ rides 32 x 36 and is comfortable on all around Botlary hills and Hilcrest, but will be changing to 30 x 36 for W2W.

Dick, I challenge your buddy to ride the hills on the Dirtopia trails on that 32/36 combo when he's already done 50km on other hills. .. Some of those hills are fooooking steep and long. Worse than MF hill.

Dick, I challenge your buddy to ride the hills on the Dirtopia trails on that 32/36 combo when he's already done 50km on other hills. .. Some of those hills are fooooking steep and long. Worse than MF hill.

OK if you say so, but at 95kg even I did die Burger 75km on 32 -36.