Giant Trance Front derailleur problems

Jabumite

I bought my Trance on 30-05-2013 and about 250 km later the LBS said my derailleur was bent.

Now another 500 km further and they want to replace it because it bent again? I have never over shifted it to hard that they have reason to blame me for the fault.

It comes out with SRAM X7 direct mount derailleur.

Has anyone got the same problem? Any suggestions?

Edited by Jabumite

I bought my Trance on 30-05-2013 and about 250 km later the LBS said my derailleur was bent.

Now another 500 km further and they want to replace it because it bent again? I have never over shifted it to hard that they have reason to blame me for the fault.

It comes out with SRAM X7 derailleur.

Has anyone got the same problem? Any suggestions?

They're taking the piss. If it were bent you could just bend it back into place. But even then - is it shifting badly?

Why would they say its bent? Is it because you struggle to shift from small to big blade? Or chain-drop even with a clutch rear mech?

Both of these are "features" of the s1000 crank + x7 mech. I have trance 29er with the x7 / s1000 combo and experienced both of these issues. Solved with a wolf tooth. Awoooo

Go talk to another mechanic for a 2nd opinion. Or hit Google and learn how to set it up yourself. If it really is bent, it can be bent back. Often the positioning of the front derailleur is what is wrong, too high or not parallel to the rings. Secondly the end stop screws may be set wrong, preventing movement on the extreme of the shift and preventing correct shifting. Thirdly the cable tension / indexing may be wrong, also leading to poor shifting. If you get all 3 right, it will shift perfectly. Park Tool website is good with "how to" instructions.

They're taking the piss. If it were bent you could just bend it back into place. But even then - is it shifting badly?

I'am going to bend the original derailleur back and try it out. Usually when it comes back from a service it work for about 100km.

Have you taken in tumbles or moved it on a bike carrier with other bikes banging into it?

No tumbles but I have moved it on a bike a old Thule ride on bike carrier so it did not bang against other bikes.

Why would they say its bent? Is it because you struggle to shift from small to big blade? Or chain-drop even with a clutch rear mech?

Both of these are "features" of the s1000 crank + x7 mech. I have trance 29er with the x7 / s1000 combo and experienced both of these issues. Solved with a wolf tooth. Awoooo

They measured the old one with a new one and said it's 4mm bigger. Yes it struggles to shift from the small to the big blade and when it shifts it over shifts. I use a normal SRAM X9 long cage.

Go talk to another mechanic for a 2nd opinion. Or hit Google and learn how to set it up yourself. If it really is bent, it can be bent back. Often the positioning of the front derailleur is what is wrong, too high or not parallel to the rings. Secondly the end stop screws may be set wrong, preventing movement on the extreme of the shift and preventing correct shifting. Thirdly the cable tension / indexing may be wrong, also leading to poor shifting. If you get all 3 right, it will shift perfectly. Park Tool website is good with "how to" instructions.

Thanks DJR will do so. My bike was at the two best mechanics I know off. So I'am going to short it out myself.

Go talk to another mechanic for a 2nd opinion. Or hit Google and learn how to set it up yourself. If it really is bent, it can be bent back. OFTEN THE POSITIONING OF THE FRONT DERAILLEUR IS WHAT IS WRONG, too high or not parallel to the rings. Secondly the end stop screws may be set wrong, preventing movement on the extreme of the shift and preventing correct shifting. Thirdly the cable tension / indexing may be wrong, also leading to poor shifting. If you get all 3 right, it will shift perfectly. Park Tool website is good with "how to" instructions.

I'm not to clued up with the Direct mount system on the new frames but does anybody think that the fixing point on the frame itself might be faulty?

With mass production of Giants frames maybe the fixing point wasn't welded on 100% and now the derailleur position can't be 100% correct? So its not the derailleur problem but rather a faulty frame causing the derailleur to bend and not line up.

I know it probably sounds far fetched and like I said I'm not clued up with Direct mount, its just a thought. The old clamp style Derailleurs could easily bet positioned, up, down and side to side to aline perfect with chainrings.

Have these bikes for our rental fleet and have never had an issue... I'd look at your storage/travelling as possible causes.

Just sounds like bad setup... hard to bend a front mech,as its kind of out the way of being bashed ,due to being tucked behind your crankset.

Take it from here and learn to cut off your need for LBS advice...

Positioning and setup are key for FD's,must just cover the space to move up chainrings and be perfectly parallel with the big blade.

Sram dont make the best FD's,i think all my bikes with FD's are full sram except front mech shimano xt :thumbup: