Rear Hub Replacement

johanpre44

I noticed a bit of play on my rear wheel yesterday and decided to sort it out, but it turned out that the wear is substantial. Cones/Bearings/Cups are all pitted (and the last service was in June?!?!). Its a Shimano RM35 Hub with 26" Alex Rim (yes I know, very cheap).

Now I have a Couple of Options:

1. Rebuild the Wheel with a better Hub (~R500 for Deore Hub and new spokes, using old Rim)

2. Get a Good Priced Wheel set (New Red Metal 10 on thehub for R1100, wonder if its still available)

3. Or just get the better MTB (Lots of Rs, but may be worth it in the long run)

A couple of considerations is that I cycle a fair amount (around 250km a month) and I'm a heavy rider (96kg at the moment). I do not want to spend too much since its a very cheap MTB (2012 Silverback Stride 10)

Any suggestions?

Personally I think just go with the Deore hub if you are thinking about upgrading the bike later on (assuming you will sell your bike on?).

If you are going to keep the bike and will keep the same wheel size then spend some money and get a decent set of wheels. I rode WTB/Alex rims on M475 hubs (just service regularly) and got many thousands of happy K's out of it (am about your weight) BUT I bought a new bike recently with XT wheelset and what a difference some weight loss on the wheels makes.

2 options IMO - either find a second hand rear wheel in the classifieds, or get the wheelset that you really want and carry it over to the new bike when it happens. The expense of a decent wheelbuilder's going to make that Deore hub a very pricey option for the end product...

I noticed a bit of play on my rear wheel yesterday and decided to sort it out, but it turned out that the wear is substantial. Cones/Bearings/Cups are all pitted (and the last service was in June?!?!). Its a Shimano RM35 Hub with 26" Alex Rim (yes I know, very cheap).

Now I have a Couple of Options:

1. Rebuild the Wheel with a better Hub (~R500 for Deore Hub and new spokes, using old Rim)

2. Get a Good Priced Wheel set (New Red Metal 10 on thehub for R1100, wonder if its still available)

3. Or just get the better MTB (Lots of Rs, but may be worth it in the long run)

A couple of considerations is that I cycle a fair amount (around 250km a month) and I'm a heavy rider (96kg at the moment). I do not want to spend too much since its a very cheap MTB (2012 Silverback Stride 10)

Any suggestions?

many shimano mtb hubs are ball bearings with cup n race, so no matter what you go for you will get damage to the races as dirt/dust works its way in. Something with a cartridge bearing should last much longer as you are replacing the cartidge bearing with no damage to the hub structure. Hope hubs work quite well, and dont cost the earth.

Edited by Li Mu Bai

I had exactly the same problem with my rear hub. I bought a Nuke Proof Generator rear hub from CRC and built the wheel up myself, I got it as true as I possibly could without a truing stand then took the wheel in to get it trued up properly for R70. Definitely worth it, now I am just waiting for my front hub to fail so I can match it with my Nuke Proof rear.

If you are going to get a new hub stay away from Shimano, none of their hubs are sealed cartridge bearings, I was looking at the Halo Spin Doctor which has great reviews but battle to get spares so I went with the Nuke Proof. According to the reviews its just as strong as the Hope Pro 2's but without the price tag and has more points of engagement.

I had exactly the same problem with my rear hub. I bought a Nuke Proof Generator rear hub from CRC and built the wheel up myself, I got it as true as I possibly could without a truing stand then took the wheel in to get it trued up properly for R70. Definitely worth it, now I am just waiting for my front hub to fail so I can match it with my Nuke Proof rear.

If you are going to get a new hub stay away from Shimano, none of their hubs are sealed cartridge bearings, I was looking at the Halo Spin Doctor which has great reviews but battle to get spares so I went with the Nuke Proof. According to the reviews its just as strong as the Hope Pro 2's but without the price tag and has more points of engagement.

I've had both. The only one I still have is the Hope.

The generator wheelset I had was brilliant for its price, but after about 18 months the rear hub started skipping on one of the engagement points.

I replaced that entire wheelset with Dartmoor rims on Superstar Trizoid hubs. 120 engagement points and very well priced. Very impressed with them.

Got 2 sets of Spank Spikes (one set 35's one set Race 28's) on hope hubs. The one set is recently aquired, but the older set I have had for over 3 years, never serviced the rear hub, and never had an issue with it.

Generators are or at (least were) good value for money (I paid R2000 for a complete wheelset, brand new)... but they in no way can compare to Hopes.

Don't spend to much on the 26". Sure you would want to upgrade at some stage. Best to replace the cones and balls. Cups made of extreme durable steel and should not really pit. Buy the axel, cones and balls and replace.

RM35.pdf

Edited by KDT Cycle Services

Looks like rebuilding the wheel at an lbs is more expensive than buying a new better one.

Think I will have a look around for wheel sets. Hope they have some specials or something at the Cycle Fair!

Problem with just replacing Axle/Cones/Bearings is that they will probably wear out quickly since the Cups are worn (I will post a pick later to show the small pits/cracks). There is also play on the Splines for Center-Lock Rotor, not sure if this is a problem.

Thanks for advice everyone.