Ibis Mojo HDR 650b - Build & Review

Iwan Kemp

hehehe

so much work, so many emails, so many choices.. HELPPPP :)

G

Yeah?

EDIT: Thing is, if I read yours I have to read everybody else's and when will I find time to solve my colour coding crises?!

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

can you get a XX1 driver for a King hub?

From The King himself:

"We have been fielding a number of questions from our consumers regarding the compatibility of Chris King hubs with SRAM XX1?

We commend SRAM’s attempt at addressing the needs of the cross country and all-mountain categories. Mountain biking will always be an integral part of our company culture and we carefully consider any new technology being proposed to help advance the sport.

Due to our rigorous development and testing process we will not be able to offer our consumers a Chris King XX1 solution in 2013.

Our concern is in ensuring that an XX1 compatible Chris King product will meet the extreme demands of today’s mountain bike riders. XX1’s current freehub body configuration poses a particularly interesting challenge and one that will need to be solved to our standards before we release a Chris King compatible version. We will continue to research XX1 compatible Chris King rear ISO disc hubs until we are confident that we have found an engineering solution that satisfies the high standards of precision, performance, and durability that are characteristic of every Chris King component."

I take it when the time comes they will release a dedicated XX1 hub. Chris King aren't fans of adapters and spacers.

not that flashy any more but what about a set of Stans Flow's with some custom colour coded decals from Tyrone?

I thinking you might say the hubs aren't tough enough tho?

Wait for the AC's.......

Stans is ALWAYS an option. Will rip the decals off and have some custom ones made, for sure. But will want to lace them to I9 or new gen Hope. Stans hubs engagement doesn't work for me!

Crow ....if you were OCD you would have already solved the colour matching my simply masking out the yellow decals and then plastidip spraying them.

That way you retain the integrity of the overall design intent of the graphics, but have managed to put matte black on matte black and would have a subtle looking design.

Come on dude, pick up your game :)

hey mr Crow,

I don't know how much $ching$ you have but I think these wheels on the ibis would look amazing! customized to yellow instead of white and then some continental tyres just because they have yellow lettering!! hehehe

http://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/users/5192/setup_checks/22645/photos/12919/s780_HDR650b1600.jpg

Yeah?

EDIT: Thing is, if I read yours I have to read everybody else's and when will I find time to solve my colour coding crises?!

HAHA! Blinkers dude, blinkers!!!

AAANyway... I reckon a good old bit of yellow won't go amiss. But don't go bos. It's either full black, no accents (with braided hoses, of course) or black / vit P with yellow sleeved braided hoses & cables & yellow decals on the Stans.

Crow ....if you were OCD you would have already solved the colour matching my simply masking out the yellow decals and then plastidip spraying them.

That way you retain the integrity of the overall design intent of the graphics, but have managed to put matte black on matte black and would have a subtle looking design.

Come on dude, pick up your game :)

that is awesome...

Stans is ALWAYS an option. Will rip the decals off and have some custom ones made, for sure. But will want to lace them to I9 or new gen Hope. Stans hubs engagement doesn't work for me!

good man, I even runs stans/hope on my road bike.......

Guest Omega Man

is it just me or does Chris King think like Rolls Royce did back in the day.......

Why fix something that isn't broken? IMO there's no need for XX1. What does it offer that isn't available on current hub configurations? You can get a decent spread of gears with current set ups.

They're trying to build a propriety system and suck us in.

Why fix something that isn't broken? IMO there's no need for XX1. What does it offer that isn't available on current hub configurations? You can get a decent spread of gears with current set ups.

They're trying to build a propriety system and suck us in.

the main thing is being able to run a 10t at the rear. Which will allow higher top speeds in some areas, or a change to a smaller chainring at the front for clearance / climbing etc. Just basically offering a bigger spread than normal 1x10 options, which sacrifice a bit either side due to the loss of one ring at the front. The major one is the 10t sprocket. That's why the XD is needed. Especially if you're riding varied terrain, or want to run as big a gear up front as possible to maximise speed.

IMO there's a huge need for XX1. Okay, more of a want - wider range than 1x10 and not as much need to have 2 spare chainrings for different environments, or have the single ring and sacrifice climbing ability as well as descending ability.

Guest Omega Man

the main thing is being able to run a 10t at the rear. Which will allow higher top speeds in some areas, or a change to a smaller chainring at the front for clearance / climbing etc. Just basically offering a bigger spread than normal 1x10 options, which sacrifice a bit either side due to the loss of one ring at the front. The major one is the 10t sprocket. That's why the XD is needed. Especially if you're riding varied terrain, or want to run as big a gear up front as possible to maximise speed.

IMO there's a huge need for XX1. Okay, more of a want - wider range than 1x10 and not as much need to have 2 spare chainrings for different environments, or have the single ring and sacrifice climbing ability as well as descending ability.

Ja I know the marketing reason.

But if you run a 28 up front and a 10 on the rear that gives you a ratio of 0.35-1. which is almost the same as 30-11 which give you 0.36-1 on the rear. The ground clearance argument holds no weight at all especially if you want top speed cos you then need a big ring up front so that leaves gear spread and with the advent of cheap clutch derallieurs, cheap aftermarket narrow wide chainrings and wide ratio cassettes xx1 is overpriced marketing garbage. (My Opinion)

Add to that the fact that i bought an ENTIRE operational 2006 Yamaha YZ250F for the price of a full XX1 system makes it STUPIDLY overpriced. (Once again my opinion)

Sorry for Hijacking your thread Crow

More pics to follow. For now...

Battling with which colour match / theme scheme to go for. Frame is predominantly matte black with neon / day glow yellow accents. Have figured out a way to permanently remove the yellow bits (should I go in that direction), or alternatively I can PlastiDip them over. My inner OCD voice is however saying that there's no way in hell the matte black spray-on vinyl will match the matte black carbon and it will end up looking pretty sheet. So. If I go stealth black I will have to remove the yellow permanently. The look of bikes (hummed to the tune of The Look of Love by Diana Krall!) I like

http://fcdn.mtbr.com/attachments/ibis/841718d1382725618t-mojo-hd-picture-build-thread-p4pb10254117.jpg

Will have to go all black on the frame. Can get the links in blue or red.

And then, in the A Little more Loud Corner

post-1575-0-00003800-1380636091.jpg

And in the opposite corner

http://ep1.pinkbike.org/p4pb10134517/p4pb10134517.jpg

Staying with the yellow on the frame

http://digitalhippie.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/rockshox-pike-650b-ibis-mojo-hdr-2.jpg

Or the Wet 'n' Wild look (Yellow on the frame, bonkers everywhere else!)

http://www.standmag.hu/upload/Image/web_kepek_2013/2013_05_02_nsbikedownhillvideo.jpg

http://nsbikes.com/images/glowne/541.jpg

On that one you have to use your imagination as the colours are not where they would be on my bike.

One of each! Problem solved. Camera's charged, pizza is on order - let's get this build rolling!

Crow

Black on Black on Black

Think the gloss black rims and fork with matte black decals and then plastidip over the yellow or gloss black decals to fit over the yellow ......

If the Zef bites you then go bright grips and maybe saddle......anodized bolts are so 1992, keep these black.