Chain "slip" with Doofer

zappa

So took the OnOne for its maiden voyage. So much of sadness overwhelming my body.

The Doofer chain tensioner seems to climb then release making it feel as if the chain is slipping on the rear cog. Checked chain allignment, seems straight.

Removed the Doofer, shortened the chain and now run it without Tensioner but using a chain tug. No more slipping.

So what was the problem with the Doofer?

Also now only have one chain tug. If that is on the drive side will I get wheel creep on the non-drive side.

What type of chain do you use? I know 8speed work fine with the doofer but bmx / singlespeed chains tend to be very "tight"?

I'm thinking that might be the problem. Friend of mine had an issue with his wider chain touching the chain guide. He ended up taking the guide off and modifying it. Don't know if it worked unfortunately.

It can also be because the tensioner tends to push the chain down, and there is not enough chain 'wrap' around the back cog - this normally causes some slip if not set up properly. Seems like you have found a solution though...

Thanks Cycho, I don't think it was due to "wrap", new cog and chain. Maybe I must try and bend the chain guide open and see if that works. I think I prefer the Doofer (if I can get it ti work correctly) to the chain tug.

I'm thinking that might be the problem. Friend of mine had an issue with his wider chain touching the chain guide. He ended up taking the guide off and modifying it. Don't know if it worked unfortunately.

Thanks Neill71. Took the guide off, squeezed it in a vice to open up the gaps, chain tug off, doofer on, and all seems to be fine after a quick spin around the garden. Will try longer ride during the week but hopefully all sorted.

Gotta love the hub. :clap: :clap: :clap:

The problem I have with the doofer is that there is a lot of sideways movement on the jockey wheel. a Wide single speed chain also move from side to side on the narrow jockey wheel which makes it noisy even if it is set up properly.

I made a custom tensioner that works with a small roller and pushes the chain up(similar to Gusset bachelor). Works perfectly and is very quiet.

What style dropouts do you have on your frame? Saying you can use a chain tug leads me to believe you have the slot-dropout style, or am I wrong? If so, then it's sacriledge to use a tensioner instead of a tug, just for the pure looks of the thing!

What style dropouts do you have on your frame? Saying you can use a chain tug leads me to believe you have the slot-dropout style, or am I wrong? If so, then it's sacriledge to use a tensioner instead of a tug, just for the pure looks of the thing!

Correct ! If you only got one tug use it on drive side like you said . Nothing will pull funny . Else make your own tugs , used homemade ones on my On-One for very long time .

Ja I hear you, but as I said earlier, I only have a chaintug for the drive side, so a bit worried about wheel creep on the non-drive side. Have horizontal slide dropouts.

Chain tugs are only for setting the chain tension, the axle nuts or QR should hold the wheel in place. If you're running a tensioner with horizontal dropouts, expect at best to be pointed and laughed at by all your riding buddies, and at worst to be smote down by the cycling gods. You have been warned...

So much pressure. Will ride with the tensioner this week, then try the chain tug. Never realised going single was more about being cool than HTFU. :D

So much pressure. Will ride with the tensioner this week, then try the chain tug. Never realised going single was more about being cool than HTFU. :D

Hehe... not so much about cool factor as it is about using the right tool for the job - if you've got the horizontal dropouts, there's no point in adding the extra and unnecessary layer that is the doofer. As a famous bloke once said - it's not complete when there's nothing left to add, it's complete when there's nothing left to take away.