Cape Town Giants at Durbanville HS FUNRIDE!

lucmccann

It is called leverage. As in use the said leverage to get the club to clean up their act.

Jissie bra, you should be ashamed of your members if some of these stories are true.

Hi PhillipV, thank you for the instant comment and I now understand why he said that. Thanks for clearing it up for me. Sometimes it takes a while for me to absorb some of the rhetoric that floats around but eventually i will receive the message. Eish, yes I am ashamed, ashamed of all all the poor riding etiquette from top to bottom and emotive responses that went around in this forum. I am ashamed the majority on this forum is not seeing this as a common problem that faces us all whether you belong to a club or not and finally I would be ashamed of making similar comments. Stay positive bra!

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm speaking as an "independent", and only as one who is worried about cycling safety in races, may I offer the same sort of gentle advice you gave to the OP about how to react to a situation: don't play the "alleged" card. Jump on this... for all of us who love our cycling, and our little races.... er... funrides.

I concede, I have been caught out. The matter will be dealt with swiftly, the moment he meets with the exec.

Eish, yes I am ashamed, ashamed of all all the poor riding etiquette from top to bottom and emotive responses that went around in this forum.

No dude, speak for yourself or your club only. I stand by what I say and you're not entitled to feel ashamed on my behalf.

Nothing "alleged" about it, it happened twice on Saturday, probably more if others come forward. Charity begins at home, the CTG can show us they're not the morons they're made out to be in this thread.

Ok point taken abusive Brogue. it goes without saying we need to deal with the issue across the board. Let the outcome follow soon rather than later. Lets be happy for a change.

Can't help reading these posts and thinking it sounds like a political rally and trying to win an argument with some of our politicians...

It is never going to happen, doesn't matter how irrelevant and obscure their arguments are.

CTG's, just face it, there are some of your members that have the wrong attitudes, which is detrimental to the sport of cycling and per definition the idea of a "FUN RIDE".

I think I did face up to it already and it starts with us on this forum. Thanks and enjoy your day.

racing etiquette in a fun ride?? you getting your knickers tied up in a knot

ESPECIALLY at a fun ride Omar! And I'll tell you why! SAFETY!

That is where my youngsters are riding on their own for the 1st time this year. I've shepherded them the last two years and protected them bodily from this type of thing myself. They've learnt good road manners and technique from me (I trust) and they are now ready to go it alone. That's why they don't need a BULLY to stuff it up for them. Going into a ditch or a barrier at 40km/h is not a little issue, it is BIG TROUBLE! There are enough dangers out there as it is.

What I said above is true for every young rider, not just mine. You have been around cycling for long enough to know that!

I think I did face up to it already and it starts with us on this forum. Thanks and enjoy your day.

Good on you bra!

@Team CTG, unfortunately anytime branded item is worn and the wearee does something wrong, it is seen as a brand that has done wrong and not the actualy wearee. Same with company cars with branding and alleged perpetrators breaking road rules, it's much easier to point the finger to a company/brand then, than joe schmoe driving his beat up VW.

Hence, it's important for teams and clubs to instill good etiquette and remind their members to wear the kit with pride, and act courteously. Because it can prevent these kinds of scenarios playing out. The fact that you're on here debating about it is great. I just hope that you can portray to your club members the importance of keeping a brand in good standing with the general public.

i agree as an independent and this principle many fail to understand.

Ok point taken abusive Brogue. it goes without saying we need to deal with the issue across the board. Let the outcome follow soon rather than later. Lets be happy for a change.

:D. These are kids gloves, just wait until my mate King_Crispy reads this thread. Haha. Happiness is safe riding, and taking responsibility. If these incidents didn't happen, the OP wouldn't have been compelled to share them with everybody. One set of rules for everybody, including the members of CTG.

But the perception whether you like it or not is you are representing your club.

And the message being sent is not the best for the clubs image at present.

In my humble opinion anyway.

But the perception whether you like it or not is you are representing your club.

And the message being sent is not the best for the clubs image at present.

In my humble opinion anyway.

I humbly accept you opinion but the principle remains lets address the bigger picture together,

Look forward to hearing the outcome of your/your Team's meeting with Luc. Hope there is a proactive resolution.

Happiness is... a safe ride!

I humbly accept you opinion but the principle remains lets address the bigger picture together,

Indeed. Although it is always best to make sure one's own house is tidy before shining the spotlight on another.

ESPECIALLY at a fun ride Omar! And I'll tell you why! SAFETY!

That is where my youngsters are riding on their own for the 1st time this year. I've shepherded them the last two years and protected them bodily from this type of thing myself. They've learnt good road manners and technique from me (I trust) and they are now ready to go it alone. That's why they don't need a BULLY to stuff it up for them. Going into a ditch or a barrier at 40km/h is not a little issue, it is BIG TROUBLE! There are enough dangers out there as it is.

What I said above is true for every young rider, not just mine. You have been around cycling for long enough to know that!

DJR I totally agree with you! I saw this incident first hand on Saturday morning just before the finish, I was cycling around what must have been 3 or 4 young kids taking part in the shorter race when I to heard the calls "MOVE LEFT" and as one does for a faster group I did so but then just after that this poor guy on his MTB is forced down into the ditch off the road!!! If this guy wasnt on what looked to be a 29er then im sure he wouldve flipped over his handle bars, that was a massive ditch he went in to!

This was my first competitive road ride for a while now and I was shocked by the way CTG treated the other cyclists on this stretch, if I were a young kid I wouldve been terrified. Infact just after this incident a police vehicle was unable to move passed the peloton lead by CTG members to let traffic through even after having to repeat himself on the loud speaker multiple times to please move over.

If some of these other comments are true as to how this group rides on the public road out of races then I am very worried and really think you need to address the problems asap as motorists are fast losing their patience with cyclists.

:D. These are kids gloves, just wait until my mate King_Crispy reads this thread. Haha. Happiness is safe riding, and taking responsibility. If these incidents didn't happen, the OP wouldn't have been compelled to share them with everybody. One set of rules for everybody, including the members of CTG.

Eish, man I have no more words left for you, I finally concede i lost the original plot and now it is heading down a slippery slope in an entire different direction. Thanks brogue you sure know how to bring out the silliness in me. end of thread from me to you and those who like what you say.

Interesting comment that you made, knowing the club receives fund from PPA? Please explain how you know this and what relevance this has to resolve your sensitive issue you faced? I think there maybe more to this than the complaint itself and I am happy that you will be meeting with the exec because then they can deal with all the issues directly to everyone's satisfaction.

How i know this is a simple Google search...every year PPA releases who they will be providing assistance to, it will be in the clubs best interest to keep a positive image.

Nothing political or any other reasoning behind my post, i saw stuff i was unhappy about at the ride and wanted to bring it to other cyclists attention as well as the attention of the club in case they weren't already aware of the actions of their members.

Im not linked to any other club or association and the hubbers who know me personally will be able to vouch for this.

Simply enjoy my sport and would like the best for it

Edited by lucmccann