BOOMSLANG!!!

All should be just fine. We've been putting in water management wherever we work, so I don't expect any serious damage.. The rain is probably the best thing for the new trails.. can't wait to head out at 12!

You can thank your lucky stars we're not building on the Atlantic side. Went to check it out on the road bike, but a mtb would have been much better suited. Lower part of Chappies under 1 metre thick mud, rock and debris. Scary.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, one of the trails looked in pretty bad shape... The top section, I think it's boomslang was Lekker.

The middle and a section near the bottom have taken a hammering with the last few days rain but thats only really to be expected given the fact it is new and hasnt had time to settle or be ridden in.

Edited by marko35s

Boomslang was great fun, but a bit like a mudbath! Mamba has held up really really well. Hope there's now loads of sun to bake the dirt in.

we got up to Boomslang just as some guys tried to exit Mamba. The water running down there got the better of one poor guy and ended with an unscheduled dismount. Took a bit of a knock but he seemed okay.

There was a gully that developed at a small river crossing on Boomslang, other than that the trails have held up very well. Rode them yesterday in the rain and again today, and they looking good.

Anybody been up to the Bridle Path? Looks like there was another slope slip there. U can see it if you stand at the top of Mamba. Was it reopened after the last slip up there?

Edited by Lone_Ranger

Boomslang was great fun, but a bit like a mudbath! Mamba has held up really really well. Hope there's now loads of sun to bake the dirt in.

Ah yes, I had them mixed up. Mamba was great! Boomslang was a little too muddy, but still enjoyed it all. :)

Was nice meeting some hub guys as well, helped us avoid getting eaten by some crazy baboons. :)

The mere fact that there is any track left after the latest severe rain, is testimony to the fact that the builders got the basics right. The picture is of Chamans Peak Drive early Sunday morning. Look ahead and to the left of the front end loader and you'll see the debris about 1m deep on the tar road. Yes, that's right, it is the main drag up Chappies, and you didn't even recognize it, thought it looked like jeep track. ;)

post-17716-0-54300400-1384752893_thumb.jpg

Edited by DJR

The mere fact that there is any track left after the latest severe rain, is testimony to the fact that the builders got the basics right. The picture is of Chamans Peak Drive early Sunday morning. Look ahead and to the left of the front end loader and you'll see the debris about 1m deep on the tar road. Yes, that's right, it is the main drag up Chappies, and you didn't even recognize it, thought it looked like jeep track. ;)

Interestingly though, there is apparently almost no damage at the tolled section of the road.

Mainly by/near No.1 Chapmans Peak Drive

Interestingly though, there is apparently almost no damage at the tolled section of the road.

Mainly by/near No.1 Chapmans Peak Drive

I was just about to comment what is the purpose of paying the tolls then if it was setup to prevent this sort of thing, but seeing you saying the toll section isnt damaged..... welll errrrmm :thumbup:

Got a call on Sat from a Parks employee to say the Switchbacks (bridal path) slipped again. Took a look and counted 6 levels wiped out - including the previous slip, 7 levels in total. Going to place a closed sign at the top..

This trail is on the list for repair next year only. Going to need a stack of money to reinforce the slopes.

FYI, the start of the slip is between levels. It's interesting to see that it's not trail erosion causing the damage but rather ground saturation.

ED: Oh, Boomslang was the most fun I've had in a long time.. turns out I really like mud!

Edited by Pain or shine

Well done Deon. The snake trails have held up beautifully! Theres a bit of a landslide at the beginning of cobra but nothing compared to the one on level 5. It seems like about 10 tons of dirt is on the road. And the road just north of the top of dh 1 is also covered in thick mud for about 20 meters. It was a fun ride though, now time to jet wash the bike!

Crazy! It was a totally new landscape out on that side.. Awesome new rock garden huh?!

Pity all the prep work on the trails is only shown when the place floods! I'd say the ST held up better than the JT.. :eek:

On Vasbyt, bar one spot of ground seepage, you'd not even think it rained!

Got a call on Sat from a Parks employee to say the Switchbacks (bridal path) slipped again. Took a look and counted 6 levels wiped out - including the previous slip, 7 levels in total. Going to place a closed sign at the top..

This trail is on the list for repair next year only. Going to need a stack of money to reinforce the slopes.

FYI, the start of the slip is between levels. It's interesting to see that it's not trail erosion causing the damage but rather ground saturation.

ED: Oh, Boomslang was the most fun I've had in a long time.. turns out I really like mud!

That whole slope at the Bridal Path looks unstable, considering how wide spread the slips were. From the top of Mamba you could see that one the slip took out almost the whole slope. Not sure how far your budget is going to go to stabilise that slope. Might be better ways to spend cash, as I suspect that is going to be a recurring problem.