Bike buy advice

parks11

Hi All. Newbie here! I have recently become enthused by the idea of cycling around, nothing serious, but I would like to get a bike to ride around on just down to the shops and to friends and family 1km or so away. I love the look of simple bicycles (like the Fujis etc) and looking to get myself an old school racing bike. I live in an apartment and would ideally like to keep the bicycle inside, so if it looks good thats a plus!

I really dont know much about bicycle maintenance. But, I found the following bicycle and thought over the next few months I can clean it up etc. Before I buy it though I would love some advice.

http://i.imgur.com/Ysn01xF.jpg?1

Is this a decent bicycle? Its got a pretty clasic shape which is good! It seems like it's in mediocure condition though and I was wondering how easy it would be to clean up etc? Can the frame just be scrubbed up? The seatpost seems a bit rusted too?

Im new to all this so would love some advice!

I have to burst your bubble a bit - That doesn't look like a classic Peugeot, merely an old one. It reminds me of the model below the Peugeot Rapport cira 1980.

If you plan to just bang about with the bike and pick it up for R100 I'd say cool, but if you are looking for a classic I'd say look some more.

I am not worried so much about classicness but more the classic look for a fairly low price. The bicycle shop is asking 1200 for the bike and I would imagine there is room to haggle there? Is it possible to respray a frame (say if I wanted to do it all white) on the cheap with a decent finish?

Realise my use of classic is a bit ambigious. Haha. I meerly mean it looks like an old school frame rather than all those chunkier looking carbon fibre jobs you see a lot :)

R1200 for the bike (lets say no haggling) and minimum R1900 for a decent spray job here in GP = R3100 for what really is just an old bike. You'd be better off buying something like a SE or simple Sam single speed / fixie for R4500 brand new - they don't only look cool but are awesome to ride as well

For R3k you can get a Fuji with 8 speed SORA from Solomons Cycles (if they have stock). SHould be more than capable for your use, and apt enough to do small races should the need arise.

Thanks for all the advice guys. Want to try keep the spending as low as possible. if I were to go new, it'd have to be under R3 grand.

@Ecko_1 that sounds awesome. Which Fuji is that (do you know the model number)? Is it seriously 3 grand for one? Havent seen a fuji that cheap!

Im nervous to get a single speed bike! Never ridden one before and the idea of not having gears going ud and down the hills around me seems quite scary. Am I being a bit over dramatic?

A week or two I got a quote to powder coat a bicycle, been toying with the idea for a while, and was quoted R250. Is this an option?

The shop also had the following bike, unfortunately the only pic I could get (reffering to the yellow raleigh in the pic):

http://i.imgur.com/cy79Gnz.jpg

It looked quite cool, albeit a bit outdated. It has downtube shifters and 'microsoft' on it's frame? It is brand new though and advertised for R3500 but I haggled down to R3000. Any feedback on it?

Link for the Fuji

Thanks, much appreciated! Will add that to the consideration. You think it's a pretty decent bike to roam around on around town?

Link for the Fuji

Sorry to requote but just wanted to find out, comparing the Fuji here (which I see also has down shifters) to the Raleigh I posted (I wish I new more about this bike - cant seem to find anything online when I search 'Peleton'), which one is 'better'?