Rant - safe cycling this morning

Oufy MTB (Roadie)

It is illegal to ride a bike on that particular stretch of the M5. Exactly as illegal as it is for a taxi or a motorbike to ride in a bicycle lane. Simple.

This simple fact appears to be lost on most commenters here, but they would be the first to bitch about the illegal taxi and bike as you point out.

Sad but true..

Edited by McD23

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This simple fact appears to be lost on most commenters here, but they would be the first to bitch about the illegal taxi and bike as you point out.

Sad but true..

Most of the lost commenters are not Flat Mountain fan boys or residents, perhaps the OP could have said, 'look at this cyclists riding his bike on the freeway'

It's like taking a pic of a chick sitting on a quiet stretch of road showing me her perky titties versus her sitting on the freeway, you might not agree, but if you blink again, you will see it's there.

Btw, I don't think the tjop was motorpacing, I think he was just hiding from the Northwester blowing in all the cold and rain this morning. He was heading straight into it and needs to htfu and stop hiding behind a truck like a little girl (sorry all real little girls). :ph34r:

Most of the lost commenters are not Flat Mountain fan boys or residents, perhaps the OP could have said, 'look at this cyclists riding his bike on the freeway'

It's like taking a pic of a chick sitting on a quiet stretch of road showing me her perky titties versus her sitting on the freeway, you might not agree, but if you blink again, you will see it's there.

Actually I did notice the blue traffic signs and there made the statement in my first posting that is the only thing that I see wrong.

Actually I did notice the blue traffic signs and there made the statement in my first posting that is the only thing that I see wrong.

You have better eyes than me, I can't see them.

You have better eyes than me, I can't see them.

Might be because I know the road well. I travel there often.

i'm sure drafting a truck at speed must be fun, ive never done it, not planning to either. if you wish to call upon grim reaper, do it without putting others at risk. if the oke had to get it wrong others were put at risk, and would not like to be in a car that rides over a cyclist, one has to live with that forever.

i'm sure drafting a truck at speed must be fun, ive never done it, not planning to either. if you wish to call upon grim reaper, do it without putting others at risk. if the oke had to get it wrong others were put at risk, and would not like to be in a car that rides over a cyclist, one has to live with that forever.

In your opinion, how does the risk increase from normal cycling on SA roads? The one time I hit a vehicle from the back was not from drafting behind it but rather someone who decided to pass me and then forget about my presence on the road and slam on the brakes in front of me. Maybe with drafting you are more aware of what is going on around you. Hitting a pothole on the side of the road can also cause you to crash in front of an approaching car / truck. There are already enough risks on the road. Drafting in my opinion does not increase that risk. In my experience the moment you start drafting behind a truck the cars behind you keep a bigger following distance from you than they would normally do.

Balls of steel. He looks like an adult who can take responsibility for his actions. I say, if it's not holding up traffic, roll on!