Rant - safe cycling this morning

Oufy MTB (Roadie)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That looks like the M5!

Yeah... Northbound, crossing Klipfontein and approaching N2 slipway.

The only issue I see here is that your middle pic is very underexposed.

And the cyclist not smiling in the third picture

Anything wrong with this? I see how they might be endangering their own lives, if they can't brake at least as quickly as the truck (and are watching the brake lights closely), but the potential cost to others is far less than the potential cost to themselves, to the point that it seems they can fairly make the choice themselves. I do agree, however, that a cyclist who chooses to ride like this/run red robots (however carefully) must take responsibility for mishaps that occur (provided drivers are not intentionally aggressive).

Anything wrong with this? I see how they might be endangering their own lives, if they can't brake at least as quickly as the truck (and are watching the brake lights closely), but the potential cost to others is far less than the potential cost to themselves, to the point that it seems they can fairly make the choice themselves. I do agree, however, that a cyclist who chooses to ride like this/run red robots (however carefully) must take responsibility for mishaps that occur (provided drivers are not intentionally aggressive).

I just hope he has hope brakes Edited by fabes

Agree, but chances are if that trucks brakes and he crashes into it, then we could knock him as well or we could end up taking out other cars and ourselves. So it endangers everyone.

At one time the speedometer on the car was 64km/h

yes yes, I know what comes after this. But who hasnt picked up a container truck from paardeneiland to Milnerton or Tableview before? Generally you dont sit right on the bumper of the truck as the draft is big enough to sit 2-3m back and have enough time to brake. Problem is you never know if you going to hit that pot hole or half a brick in the road