You hope your brakes look as good as Shimano XTR

Guest Travis.

The XTs and SLXs are pretty closely priced, diminishing returns though, surely, when you start moving up to XTR, etc?

The XTR's have a much "smoother"(probably not the right word completely but it'll do) feel to them and are obviously quite a bit lighter! But most importantly they are more shiny!! ;D

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The XTR's have a much "smoother"(probably not the right word completely but it'll do) feel to them and are obviously quite a bit lighter! But most importantly they are more shiny!! ;D

Apart from the shiny XTR gets ceramic pistons, titanium backing plates and a few other exotic upgrades.

The cash to performance ratio is out of whack though - XTR works better but not as much better as the price increase would suggest.

They are really purrrrrrty though. My precioussssss.

Apart from the shiny XTR gets ceramic pistons, titanium backing plates and a few other exotic upgrades.

The cash to performance ratio is out of whack though - XTR works better but not as much better as the price increase would suggest.

Looking at these pics,not sure how shiny they actually are?

post-13006-0-25161700-1383252134_thumb.jpg

post-13006-0-46479300-1383252162_thumb.jpg

My first set of disc brakes were 2009 Deore's

Lets just say they were rubbish

had very little power and levers kept on loosing compression.

Tried a set of Juicy 3's after that and they felt awesome, been happy with Avid since, except for the Elix R's

Maybe the expensive shimano's are way better but I don't have the cash to try them out.

Rode a friends bike with XT's and they felt pretty good, a little plastic but still good.

Looking at these pics,not sure how shiny they actually are?

post-13006-0-25161700-1383252134_thumb.jpg

post-13006-0-46479300-1383252162_thumb.jpg

Ya those are the even newer ones! Magnesium calipers, even lighter now! But did result in a loss of that shine!

hahaha! touche!

but what is that on the inside of the rotor? Is it for slicing poloni?

Having now done some reading, it is to do with weight saving while maintaining the "rigidity" or "stiffness" of the rotors.

Guest Omega Man

That's true for almost every high performance anything the world over tho don't you think? The rand for rand price differential between a BMW 320 and M3 for example is MASSIVE but while the performance differential is large it is somewhat out of whack with the price deferential. (I'm not dissing M3 fans It's just an example)

Jip, what is the term I am looking for.....ah "law of diminishing returns". My economics teacher would be very proud of me right now. You see you need to find the butterzone of performance and price....the point where the curve starts plateauing out.

Because this is alot of admin and as boring as breedts nek, I base all my purchases purely on emotion.... :whistling:

Edited by rouxtjie

That's true for almost every high performance anything the world over tho don't you think? The rand for rand price differential between a BMW 320 and M3 for example is MASSIVE but while the performance differential is large it is somewhat out of whack with the price deferential. (I'm not dissing M3 fans It's just an example)

Agreed. The law of diminishing returns.

I guess "diminishing" is relative though - the eomtional connection to XTR/XX/Saint etc is way higher than Deore/X5 etc.

Bike riders - we lika da bling!

Jip, what is the term I am looking for.....ah "law of diminishing returns". My economics teacher would be very proud of me right now. You see you need to find the butterzone of performance and price....the point where the curve starts plateauing out.

Because this is alot of admin and as boring as breedts nek, I base all my purchases purely on emotion.... :whistling:

Bwahahaha. I think we went to the same prison library.

Guest Omega Man

Agreed. The law of diminishing returns.

I guess "diminishing" is relative though - the eomtional connection to XTR/XX/Saint etc is way higher than Deore/X5 etc.

Bike riders - we lika da bling!

100% None of us NEED ENVE rims but damn do we want them.

Bwahahaha. I think we went to the same prison library.

hahaha....was just about to post that. :thumbup:

Great minds and all that

100% None of us NEED ENVE rims but damn do we want them.

I need one bike, but have three and working on number four....I am running out of reasons to tell the wife why I MUST have no 4 ....maybe I should just play the honesty card....

And of course these, long before the sport got swamped by posers who can afford to buy the MTB look.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/SHIMANO-XTR-M951-FRONT-AND-REAR-V-BRAKE-SET-M950-M952-M960-M970-BR-M951-/00/s/MTA1NVgxNjAw/z/VY0AAOxy1GNSTQmF/$(KGrHqJHJE8FJF4y0sUzBSTQmEdVGw~~60_35.JPG

Now, those are sexy. Got given a set by a customer when I was building up my 'Dale as a SS. Excellent brakes!