What size are the balls in a non-cleat pedal

New Landy new life

I have the old fashioned standard flat pedals and need to change the balls in the bearing.

Anyone know the diameter of the balls - I need to buy before stripping as I am at work and will fetch on route home from bearing supplier.

The balls in the flat pedal (rider's that is), is in general a bit bigger that those of clip in's... But in term's of pedal bearings, I would suggest you strip it, clean and polish it, repack it with clean grease and ride. It's very rare for pedal bearings to pit due to the fact that they don't collect as much dust as the hub or bb

Depends on the pedal. Could be metric or imperial, so 2 options:

1. Buy 50 of every size bearing between 1/16" and 1/8". They should be somewhere in that range.

2. Strip and take a sample to bearing man. You may find you'll have to wait a day anyway, since they quite often don't have those tiny ones in stock unless you go to the Stikland one.

Any post that mentions balls and nipples is sure to attract attention, so here goes..OK, I know this sounds Freudian, but..

I have thought of tapping a thread into the end-cap or axle housing that takes a grease nipple. One would obviously need to remove the grease nipple for riding and replace it with a capscrew or similar, but at least you could force clean grease in and push the muck out the far side. ? Anybody ever done this?

Some of the Santa Cruz bikes have grease nipples.

Any post that mentions balls and nipples is sure to attract attention, so here goes..OK, I know this sounds Freudian, but..

I have thought of tapping a thread into the end-cap or axle housing that takes a grease nipple. One would obviously need to remove the grease nipple for riding and replace it with a capscrew or similar, but at least you could force clean grease in and push the muck out the far side. ? Anybody ever done this?

Some of the Santa Cruz bikes have grease nipples.

Usually these sorts of systems put the nipple in the centre of the axle between the two bearings so the old grease is pushed out through both ends, but decent idea.

Industrial cartridge bearings also often have nipples in the static outer race for regreasing. Sometimes they even have timed automatic dispensers, but this may be overkill on a bike...

In the ship repair business - we call grease nipples "ornaments" and their lack of use keeps us in business

Go idea though - might do the same as a drill and tap and nipple would save time fiddling with those small little ball bearings every winter

Ha! Well-painted nipples, sign of a thorough maintenance programme ;)

Please keep me posted if you do implement, there are some details that would make the world of difference (drill diameter, thread size, nipple spec, etc

Ha! Well-painted nipples, sign of a thorough maintenance programme ;)

Painted nipples... snigger... If it moves, salute it. If it stands still, paint it. Clearly the wrong kind of nipples then...