Calling the Fly fishing manne

Pieter1

• Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's insane!!

That they want to stop the breeding of trout, I agree, they've not even proved that they are invasive. Usually I'd be the first to complain about invasive animals, but trout, they have such a small climatic zone where they can live, let alone breed, that it is crazy.

There is a simple question to ask a fly fisher...

How many permit have you caught?

If the answer is, "I don't know" you have a story teller.

Every fly fisher know exactly how many permit they have caught.

I have, um, none. I am changing that in July!! And not that inferior Ido-pacific one, the real one, the Mexican Gulf one.

I do have many other species in my log book, but that one, she not there yet!!

I did my bit and sent an objection.

I don't think they have thought this through - sure - they may stop trout accidentally entering new rivers/streams. But at the expense of entire industries that either promote fly fishing or breed trout for food.

From Flyloops and FOSAF

PLEASE SPREAD THE WORD, WE NEED AS MANY OBJECTIONS AS POSSIBLE

I thought we had already worked through the stupidity barrier, but it seems not! Morons! :cursing:

From Flyloops and FOSAF

PLEASE SPREAD THE WORD, WE NEED AS MANY OBJECTIONS AS POSSIBLE

This can't be for real?!

Ahhh but, there is more to the story.

I am close to the legal team, they are going to come right.

Too much in the economy for it to go bad, my job is one of the things.

Ahhh but, there is more to the story.

I am close to the legal team, they are going to come right.

Too much in the economy for it to go bad, my job is one of the things.

Thought as much. Fishing brings big bucks for the taxman and tourism countrywide.

It's the tourism kind of thing.

But you need to think of trout as sheep, or pine trees, or any other alien plant or animal that creates revenue and jobs.

But you need to think of trout as sheep, or pine trees, or any other alien plant or animal that creates revenue and jobs.

Also true.

I was under the impression that this debate was completed about 5 years ago and that the conclusion that all parties arrived at was that we would accept trout in the streams and dams where they currently are, but not introduce them into more. Mainly this was because of the economic value of trout, their relative harmless existence, the limits to where they can spread and the near impossibility of eradicating them. Why has this idiotic subject reared its head again?

I was under the impression that this debate was completed about 5 years ago and that the conclusion that all parties arrived at was that we would accept trout in the streams and dams where they currently are, but not introduce them into more. Mainly this was because of the economic value of trout, their relative harmless existence, the limits to where they can spread and the near impossibility of eradicating them. Why has this idiotic subject reared its head again?

Because the white paper was never submitted and the findings gazetted.

At that time there were no findings on the economic importance.

Although there is a big uproar over what is read by the layman, it is actually an act about the rights to the resource, who can transport it, and stock, sell, etc...

Bottom line is that it is about permits, licenses and government control.

Actually, the government is trying to clean up the industry, and it does need cleaning.

There are also environmental issues being dealt with, and the shout is about that, and since it is so close to the end user, that's all that seems to be focused on.

I got a message last night from the legal team, just saying they are happy and confident with their responce to government.

Let's see...

• 2 months later...

So i will be in Cape Town during the weekend of the 5 and 6 July. Was wondering if some of the guys down there would like to go try out the fly on the the 6th. I dont know any places down there, but im hoping to get something close to CT, if possible. I had a look on flyloops, but not sure which is best, was hoping the hubbers would help me out.

Also, does the weather allow it?

Ive only fly fished for trout and bass. but a different fish will do great too

Edited by Gandalf

Hi Gandalf, all the Cape streams are closed from 1 June and only opens on 1 Sept. They are currently just raging torrents of icy water and impossible to wade. Best to enjoy the wine.