Calling the Fly fishing manne

Pieter1

I know this isn't exactly flyfishing. This am I was working with cattle at a farm where the kraals are next to my bass dam. I took my fly rod and fishing bag with the idea of doing some fishing if I had the opportunity. I forgot that I had taken my fly reels out so used a lure. I'd caught the 3 fish I was going to catch, then thought I'd cast one more, and I caught another bass.

While removing the hook, the fish wriggled, and sank two of the hooks of a treble into my thumb. I'm on the way to the doc now.post-2975-0-37341600-1390901910_thumb.jpg

The moral of the story; stop when you have enough

EINA PAIN!!!

• Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tx DJR

http://www.piscator.co.za/

The Smalblaar is the stream that runs down the Du Toits Kloof as you exit the Hugenot tunnel going from Cape Town towards Worchester along the N1. Fishing on it is controlled by the Cape Piscatorial Society and only catch and release flyfishing is allowed. You have to book a beat through the CPS to fish it, but you don't have to be a member. Visitors pay a small day / permit fee. (see the above link) It is a lovely stream to fish but you do hear the N1 traffic rushing past on some stretches. The scenery is absolutely stunning and the place is photogenic in the extreme. If you want some quieter waters, the Elandspad is one of the side kloofs, but this takes a bit of a hike to the best beats.

Here's another early morning picture.

I know this isn't exactly flyfishing. This am I was working with cattle at a farm where the kraals are next to my bass dam. I took my fly rod and fishing bag with the idea of doing some fishing if I had the opportunity. I forgot that I had taken my fly reels out so used a lure. I'd caught the 3 fish I was going to catch, then thought I'd cast one more, and I caught another bass.

While removing the hook, the fish wriggled, and sank two of the hooks of a treble into my thumb. I'm on the way to the doc now.post-2975-0-37341600-1390901910_thumb.jpg

EINA!! Thats part of the reason I fish barbless. Hope it hurts less soon!

Eina !!! sent shivers down my spine

Got one hook of a treble in a dog's lip after fishing for bass and while walking home .Was not pleasant taking it out,had to be cruel but better than getting it in the paw as well

Guest Latent Blue

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/bbet.gif

Eina moer DB

• 2 weeks later...

Calling this lekker thread back to life! Can anyone recommend a nice place to stay en fish close to Clarens?

I am no fisherman but my son is he fishes with a mate of mine. What I need go know is we are off to Umngazi (Port St Johns ) in March again and he wants to try his hand at fly fishing I bought him a rod and reel but I really don't know what flys to buy. If some one can send me info on flys or better pictures of flys the he need for the estuary that will be great he is only 10 years old .

Thanks

I am no fisherman but my son is he fishes with a mate of mine. What I need go know is we are off to Umngazi (Port St Johns ) in March again and he wants to try his hand at fly fishing I bought him a rod and reel but I really don't know what flys to buy. If some one can send me info on flys or better pictures of flys the he need for the estuary that will be great he is only 10 years old .

Thanks

Have a read here Porra

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/showthread.php?2898-Umngazi-Dec-07

a bit old but...

I was reminded today of how incredibly lucky I am. My bike needed a little break, so I took my one youngster out flyfishing on that prince of streams, the Smalblaar. We left home at 5 am, by 6 am we were on the water and by 7am I had my first little wild rainbow in hand. He got his first shortly afterwards. We lost count after a while. By 11am we called it a day and by 1pm we were having lunch with the rest of the DJR mob. Truly blessed!

reminds me when we used to go fishing the hex river valley as a kid

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc40/andresannman/win-Hex-River-autumn.jpg

Hi Porra

Start with the basic saltwater patterns:

Crazy Charlies, Clousers and Decievers, in a few diffent sizes and colours (pictures below)

Then maybe also one or two prawn patterns, a crab and a squid type too?

post-17716-0-00744600-1392188320_thumb.jpg

post-17716-0-57377000-1392188345_thumb.jpg

post-17716-0-53117300-1392188363_thumb.png

Edited by DJR

I was introduced to fly fishing over December by a friend. Spent the day in a secret location in the Eastern Cape and between the 2 of us, we caught and released close to 50 of these guys

post-15697-0-37818400-1392195820_thumb.jpg

I was introduced to fly fishing over December by a friend. Spent the day in a secret location in the Eastern Cape and between the 2 of us, we caught and released close to 50 of these guys

What an introduction :thumbup:

• 1 month later...

From Flyloops and FOSAF

Hi Dean,

We as fly fishers have until 8TH APRIL 2014 to object the DRAFT NEM:BA REGULATIONS which is attempting to make it illegal to fish for and stock Trout in South Africa.</p>

PLEASE RAISE YOUR OBJECTION by clicking to: http://www.flyloops.net/nemba.php

We need as many people as possible to raise objections! Please SHARE this and get as MANY fly fishers as possible to raise their objections!

Until next time,

The flyloops.net crew

PLEASE SPREAD THE WORD, WE NEED AS MANY OBJECTIONS AS POSSIBLE