Calling the Fly fishing manne

Pieter1

can you translate that to english for us non fishing type that might be going to the orange river and want to try this fishing malarkey

Dry flies represent the adult (flying) phase of an insect and are tied very light with hackle feathers so that they will float like an insect on the water surface. Fish must rise to the surface to take the fly so you can see it and strike  hopefully hook up.

Nymphs represent one of the underwater phases of an aquatic insect. It is tied heavier and will sink under the surface. Some will sink to the bottom, some will be suspended in the water column. You cannot see your fly as you fish it, so it is more difficult to know when a fish is taking your nymph and to strike and hook up. Often you feel the take too late and miss the fish.

Several things can be done to up your strike rate when fishing a nymph. Using a strike indicator - basically a floating piece of brightly coloured yarn tied to your line a bit above the nymph. If the fish takes the nymph, the indicator will be pulled under. It is just a way to make what happens under the surface visible above it.

Fishing nymphs without any indicator is the purest form and after doing it for a while, one tends to develop a sixth sense for when to strike. The secret here is to always stay in contact with your fly and not to allow slack line. I suppose that with experience you key in to many very subtle clues. Little odd movement in your line, flash of a fish turning deep underwater, sometimes I think it is just a feeling.......that is where the zen-like qualities come in. You don't have to think what is happening and what to do about it. You just know and do........and it works!

Ai tog, there I've started writing crazy stuff again, sorry Slowbee.

But for the Orange the best flyfishing technique for yellowfish is something called short line nymphing or Czech nymphing. That is another books worth of stuff, I'm trying to find the link for better info and will post it when I succeed.

• Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dry flies represent the adult (flying) phase of an insect and are tied very light with hackle feathers so that they will float like an insect on the water surface. Fish must rise to the surface to take the fly so you can see it and strike hopefully hook up.

Nymphs represent one of the underwater phases of an aquatic insect. It is tied heavier and will sink under the surface. Some will sink to the bottom, some will be suspended in the water column. You cannot see your fly as you fish it, so it is more difficult to know when a fish is taking your nymph and to strike and hook up. Often you feel the take too late and miss the fish.

Several things can be done to up your strike rate when fishing a nymph. Using a strike indicator - basically a floating piece of brightly coloured yarn tied to your line a bit above the nymph. If the fish takes the nymph, the indicator will be pulled under. It is just a way to make what happens under the surface visible above it.

Fishing nymphs without any indicator is the purest form and after doing it for a while, one tends to develop a sixth sense for when to strike. The secret here is to always stay in contact with your fly and not to allow slack line. I suppose that with experience you key in to many very subtle clues. Little odd movement in your line, flash of a fish turning deep underwater, sometimes I think it is just a feeling.......that is where the zen-like qualities come in. You don't have to think what is happening and what to do about it. You just know and do........and it works!

Ai tog, there I've started writing crazy stuff again, sorry Slowbee.

But for the Orange the best flyfishing technique for yellowfish is something called short line nymphing or Czech nymphing. That is another books worth of stuff, I'm trying to find the link for better info and will post it when I succeed.

When in doubt. Strike! Best advice I've ever received.

You better post a good report and pictures afterwards or I'm going to hate you for ever! :)

I think I underestimated how popular fishing there is. These guys are fully booked during our stay there. Managed to get a spot with someone else but sadly not Fly fishing. I’ll have to book in advance with these guys but It is happening for sure.

I think I underestimated how popular fishing there is. These guys are fully booked during our stay there. Managed to get a spot with someone else but sadly not Fly fishing. I’ll have to book in advance with these guys but It is happening for sure.

Try get a spot with No Boundaries. Sadly, most of the areas in Oman have been decimated by netting and over fishing in recent years. Fishing there is way tougher than it ever was.

https://www.facebook.com/NoBoundariesOman/?hc_ref=ARR7oyhXEjyftfBqOdiQuoS2QOEPA6B-Y_-ZJDWXw72yzvFL2zmpk-Td9meVOhfKOYI&fref=nf

Try get a spot with No Boundaries. Sadly, most of the areas in Oman have been decimated by netting and over fishing in recent years. Fishing there is way tougher than it ever was.

https://www.facebook.com/NoBoundariesOman/?hc_ref=ARR7oyhXEjyftfBqOdiQuoS2QOEPA6B-Y_-ZJDWXw72yzvFL2zmpk-Td9meVOhfKOYI&fref=nf

I have to save up a bit for a trip with them. I have chated to them and I REALLY want to spend a week with them. Mabey next year.

I have to save up a bit for a trip with them. I have chated to them and I REALLY want to spend a week with them. Mabey next year.

Just be careful who you book with. Some of the operators there are pretty slack at getting clients into fish, and finding the fish in general.

Just be careful who you book with. Some of the operators there are pretty slack at getting clients into fish, and finding the fish in general.

I booked with some guys who also post on a salt water fishing page on fb. They seem to be on the ball. Also rated quite well on trip advisor. I once paid R1200 for a day of sleeping on the boat so I’m quite wairy of charters.

I booked with some guys who also post on a salt water fishing page on fb. They seem to be on the ball. Also rated quite well on trip advisor. I once paid R1200 for a day of sleeping on the boat so I’m quite wairy of charters.

Good show! Enjoy and post some pics when you're back

• 1 month later...

Got a new rod and reel over December. Scott E2 9foot 6 weight with Xplorer Guide 3. Much faster and stiffer rod than my old Stealth.

Went fishing last month near Dullstroom. No trout, but over 25 bass over a weekend.

No fishing on the Vaal this weekend. Flow rate up to 190! :eek:

Fri 23 Mar. Barrage Level 7.55m. Gates Open 1. Inches 2x27". Discharge 89.504m3/s. Cond 60.6mS/m. Rain 70mm. Evap 7.5mm. Temp 19oC.

Fri 23 Mar. Barrage Level 7.55m. Gates Open 1. Inches 2x27". Discharge 89.504m3/s. Cond 60.6mS/m. Rain 70mm. Evap 7.5mm. Temp 19oC.

This was at 0800

Got a new rod and reel over December. Scott E2 9foot 6 weight with Xplorer Guide 3. Much faster and stiffer rod than my old Stealth.

Went fishing last month near Dullstroom. No trout, but over 25 bass over a weekend.

Awesome man! I have never got a bass on fly.

Awesome man! I have never got a bass on fly.

Bass are loads of fun on a 6/7 wt setup. I either use a streamer or a hair popper that I tie myself, on a floating line.

I almost steped on one once when I was bass fishing from the shore. Bloody well camouflaged those things.

I have stepped on one of these buggers, it bit me on the top of my foot, but luckily couldn't get through 3 layers of leather. I shat myself