Calling the Fly fishing manne

Pieter1

Lekker..

Elgro River lodge is a popular spot with the local guys around here too..there are so many spots like that between parys and the vermaasdrif bridge.. and when I say spot I mean fishing water not lodges [emoji23][emoji23]

The best one is a farm bout 10km from our house.. unfortunately after the farmer died his wife is not allowing anyone on the property to go fish anymore. Hubby reckons it is the most productive waters he has fished..he would catch up to 30 yellows in one afternoon..its also the spot where he caught his 12kg barble on the fly..but I am friends with another farmer (her neighbour) So I am going to start working them to see if we can get access through their farm.

I have been following the charts and it's now the 4th day in a row that the river is flowing at well below 30..so not only it it down it will start clearing too..

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Ja, saw a few pap gooiers here and there. I don’t know that area well at all. Let me know if she ever decides that people may fish there then please. Keen to dust off the fly rod.

• Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ja, saw a few pap gooiers here and there. I don’t know that area well at all. Let me know if she ever decides that people may fish there then please. Keen to dust off the fly rod.

Will do... Will see her once school starts again..it's a bit further from joburg than Parys but like I said..it's a hidden gem when it comes to fly fishing..

I should actually try and find out who owns the land on the North West side...probably Anglo as they have flippen bought up so much property there[emoji35]

Some of the guys also do the drop and drift thing.. they get in at Schoemamsdrift bridge and drift down to Raaswater...Fortunately we have one of those fly fishing boats but it involves a bit of PT ..well not really you just need 2 bakkies[emoji23][emoji23] just not sure how safe it is these days to leave your car at the bridge all day...Raaswateris fine as it's a little resort and is safe to park.

We are actually spoilt by having the Vaal basically on our doorstep..you are never too far from some sort of fishing be it fly or papgooi.

Edited by Gen

Having "grown up" on dry fly fishing on the Cape streams, I think that it will always be my first love. I went through a nymphing phase and got quite Zen at it, but it passed, I think mostly because our streams and our trout are so ideal for dries. Now I use nymphing on the Cape streams only if dries won't work. On the Orange, for Yellows, I use nymphs almost exclusively.

Orange. Now that's a trip in the works.

Gen, have you fished Oord Nebo?

Yes..well not me hubby has spent some time there.. and they were out there a few weeks ago...the did catcha couple of yellows that day...it's right next to Raaswater but Raaswater is a bit cheaper with the day passes. (Oord Nebo is R85 and Raaswater R50) and because it is next to each other it's really easy to fish at both places.

My fly rod has been annexed by my eldest son.. we've sent the Explora in to be replaced and once that is back I'll have my fly rod back and be able to fish.. untill then I watch the river charts and hear all the stories..

At least I did get to put line in the water on Friday...I caught buggerall while the guys had a good day, the river was up and down so we went to our highly secret papgooi spot (no not really secret it's on a farmers land close to Leeudoornstad[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23].) Even my youngest caught and he doesn't even like fishing..but says the papgooi is okay cause it isn't as hard as fly fishing and he doesn't fall down.[emoji23][emoji23]

Edited by Gen

I spent many a day there when I Iived in Joburg. They've got some lovely sections and moderately easy wading, which helps.

Noted, Thank you.

Noted, Thank you.

On that section, Benjoh is also worth a trip. Some really good fish in the small channels upstream on the left. Just be weary of the land owner directly upstream, he's a feisty one.

• 5 weeks later...

Having "grown up" on dry fly fishing on the Cape streams, I think that it will always be my first love. I went through a nymphing phase and got quite Zen at it, but it passed, I think mostly because our streams and our trout are so ideal for dries. Now I use nymphing on the Cape streams only if dries won't work. On the Orange, for Yellows, I use nymphs almost exclusively.

can you translate that to english for us non fishing type that might be going to the orange river and want to try this fishing malarkey

You better post a good report and pictures afterwards or I'm going to hate you for ever! :)

Hahaha! For sure!