Calling the Fly fishing manne

Pieter1

This being a fly-fishing thread I thought it appropriate to ask here...

Where can one go to catch bass from the bank? Some place that offers catch and release at a decent price. I want to take my laaitie. Must be within an hour (or a bit more) from Pta.

But this papgooi and wait is a waste of my time and patience (translated as "ek vang fokol"). I want something more interactive.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Well potch dam is a bit far for you..I hear boskop dam has great bass fishing .. I am not sure how far from PTA that it though.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well potch dam is a bit far for you..I hear boskop dam has great bass fishing .. I am not sure how far from PTA that it though.

Thanks. Yeah, about 2hrs from.

http://www.gnuvalley.co.za R100pp lekker braais and it is usually quite. But there are plenty of places. I usually look for a dam on google earth and go. A lot of them have bass in or some form of fish.

Oh dear. Yeah that's a bit further than what you would like.. you could always make a weekend out of it..[emoji847]

I love my job. Yesterday working with cattle I had 20min to spare so chucked a fly in the dam and caught 3 bass for supper. Nothing tastier than freshly caught bass in beer batter.

IMHO bass should never be returned. They just breed too fast.

I love my job. Yesterday working with cattle I had 20min to spare so chucked a fly in the dam and caught 3 bass for supper. Nothing tastier than freshly caught bass in beer batter.

I live and work within walking distance from the Liesbeeck river. Of course it is now mostly canalled and as dead as a Dodo, but I know an old gentleman who tells stories of the 1950s and 60s, when he was a young man, and got his first job in Newlands. He says that he often used his lunch hour to go catch a trout or two from the Liesbeeck where it flows past the Newlands Swimming Pool and the SA Breweries. He says it was easy to get a couple of 12 to 14 inch fish for the pan, but that he caught the odd fish up to 22 inches. Then they concreted most of the stream and pollution killed the trout off. Sad!

Also they are invasive.

Stronger than yellows, and definitely put up a bigger fight, but difficult to get to take a fly. Almost all mine were caught while targeting smallmouth yellows and a fair percentage were foul hooked as well, meaning that they did not try to eat the fly.

Having caught both species on still water and rivers I'd have to disagree. SM yellows are pound-for-pound one of the strongest freshwater fish on the planet. Bass are fun, but after the initial run the fight is over. They're really easy to catch though which ups the fun factor.

Having caught both species on still water and rivers I'd have to disagree. SM yellows are pound-for-pound one of the strongest freshwater fish on the planet. Bass are fun, but after the initial run the fight is over. They're really easy to catch though which ups the fun factor.

We were comparing the pull of a smallmouth yellow with that of a mudfish. But I agree with you, a smallmouth yellow will pull any bass inside out in a tug of war.

We were comparing the pull of a smallmouth yellow with that of a mudfish. But I agree with you, a smallmouth yellow will pull any bass inside out in a tug of war.

Doh! I should learn to read properly  :blush: SM bass are not bad fighters, but still not a yellow.

The problem with muddies is that they tend to just bed down and hog the bottom. They don't really do much running but they're strong like a bulldog. I've landed some big ones at sterkies and they are a proper pain in the butt to turn and land, but not much action in the fight.

Edited by GrahamS2

Doh! I should learn to read properly  :blush: SM bass are not bad fighters, but still not a yellow.

The problem with muddies is that they tend to just bed down and hog the bottom. They don't really do much running but they're strong like a bulldog. I've landed some big ones at sterkies and they are a proper pain in the butt to turn and land, but not much action in the fight.

These things are just opinions anyway. :)

The same fish on a 1 weight and on a 5 weight will be vastly different. Same goes for still or running water. Whether the fish takes off upstream or downstream. Against the current or with it? Can you follow the fleeing fish or do you have to stay put? Warm water will make trout pap. Cold water will make them frisky.

So, I don't ever try to claim a scientific method, more a thumbsuck than anything else.  ;)

These things are just opinions anyway. :)

The same fish on a 1 weight and on a 5 weight will be vastly different. Same goes for still or running water. Whether the fish takes off upstream or downstream. Against the current or with it? Can you follow the fleeing fish or do you have to stay put? Warm water will make trout pap. Cold water will make them frisky.

So, I don't ever try to claim a scientific method, more a thumbsuck than anything else.  ;)

Too true, same as you get days when the fish are just lazy. Still, I'd rather spend a day flicking a line to lazy fish than sitting at a desk ;)

Edited by GrahamS2

• 1 month later...

Oh my goodness...my son has been so fortunate.. he went out for the first time fly fishing 2 days ago..caught a little mud fish..and today a 5kg carp..yep you read right carp on the fly...it took the fly as it hit the water...[emoji23][emoji23] 20min fight and it was all smiles...unfortunately no pics as hubby didn't take the go pro with[emoji34]

Needless to say the fly bug has bitten and we have Xmas and birthday presents sorted for a while [emoji23][emoji23]

Edited by Gen

Hi. Are there any lodges/farms/venues around Dullstroom that supply fly fishing tackle? And are these willing to assist in showing/teaching how it is done? Or any other town? I read a piece about Haenerstburg between Pietersburg and Tzaneen - apparently some good fishing there as well.

It is my laaitie's biggest dream to do fly fishing. And to be honest, it seems like something I will enjoy. But before I buy, I want to try it out first.