What size chainring is good on 1x10?

Craigwt

Hi there.

I removed the derailleur and shifter and installed my new leo daisy chainring. I am however struggling with chain tension. I shortened the chain, so on the 36t back cog the derailleur is quite stretched out, but on the 11t sprocket there is noticeable slack in the chain :blink: . I am using a xt shadow derailleur, but it seems that on the lower gears the derailleur is not tensioning the chain as it should. Should I shorten the chain some more or look at a new derailleur? I had chain suck issues in the Sabie mud and wonder if the whole clutch mechanism might be damaged.

Can someone please post pics of their setup and chain tension on the highest and lowest gears?

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there.

I removed the derailleur and shifter and installed my new leo daisy chainring. I am however struggling with chain tension. I shortened the chain, so on the 36t back cog the derailleur is quite stretched out, but on the 11t sprocket there is noticeable slack in the chain :blink: . I am using a xt shadow derailleur, but it seems that on the lower gears the derailleur is not tensioning the chain as it should. Should I shorten the chain some more or look at a new derailleur? I had chain suck issues in the Sabie mud and wonder if the whole clutch mechanism might be damaged.

Can someone please post pics of their setup and chain tension on the highest and lowest gears?

Ideally you want as short a cage as possible. if you have a long cage derailer that may be the issue. Try a medium or even better a short cage derailer.

Do you have a short cage derailleur? If so you may need a medium cage.

with a 1x setup shorter is better.

Edited by jcmeyerSS

Excuse the dirty bike. Did a sneaky ride yesterday.

the paint chips on the rear stay is from before the Zee derailer. No chain slap now.

post-16067-0-12797000-1393998433_thumb.jpg

Smallest 11t

post-16067-0-20832500-1393998460_thumb.jpg

Biggest 36t

Excuse the dirty bike. Did a sneaky ride yesterday.

the paint chips on the rear stay is from before the Zee derailer. No chain slap now.

Maatjie...naaier !!!!

As you were

Didn't know that! (obviously)

haha No worries. I thought the same thing until i did a little research and if you think about it, it make sense. 1x has less range of gears (i.e Less movement) so a shorter cage would be better as it will pick up the slack faster.

the only "issue" (doesn't bother me) with the Zee derailer and i assume most short cage derailers is you are limited to a max of 36t at the back. So if you wanting to use one of those new converters that gives you 40t-42t you may need to go with a Sram type 2 or XT shadow+, medium cage derailer.

haha No worries. I thought the same thing until i did a little research and if you think about it, it make sense. 1x has less range of gears (i.e Less movement) so a shorter cage would be better as it will pick up the slack faster.

The Zee RD really is the best for a 1x10 with 11-36 at the back, but apparently a few guys are struggling with the Zee RD after they fitted One-Up or Wolftooth 42T cassette adapters. According to the Shimano website the Zee has a maximum capacity of 36T. The Zee apparently struggles with the 42T sprocket. However I have seen a review of the One-Up 42T and the bike had a Zee RD, and the reviewer had no problems.

Perhaps a medium cage SLX Shadow + is a more versatile option?

Edited by Brian Fantana

Thanks for the quick reply guys. :thumbup: It looks like my xt is a long cage...Time for some shopping then...SHould I go medium or short cage for the 10 speed setup?

The Zee RD really is the best for a 1x10 with 11-36 at the back, but apparently a few guys are struggling with the Zee RD after they fitted One-Up or Wolftooth 42T cassette adapters. According to the Shimano website the Zee has a maximum capacity of 36T. The Zee apparently struggles with the 42T sprocket. However I have seen a review of the One-Up 42T and the bike had a Zee RD, and the reviewer had no problems.

Perhaps a medium cage SLX Shadow + is a more versatile option?

agreed.

Thanks for the quick reply guys. :thumbup: It looks like my xt is a long cage...Time for some shopping then...SHould I go medium or short cage for the 10 speed setup?

No worries.

http://www.evobikes....derailleur.html

If you spend another R100 odd madibas (free shipping) you should have it on your doorstep in 24 hours. Voila!

if you do go that route make sure you get the WIDE ratio derailer.

there are two types

Wide ratio = is up to 36t

Close ratio = is up to 24t

The one in copperheads post is the right one to get.

I have a XTR (non clutch) long cage rear on an 11-32 at the back and have had no issues.

Dropped the chain once and that was on a big tumble.

I ride like a plonker on the rough stuff and have been very impressed so far.

I agree that the short cage is better (will go that route on my next build),

but don't see the point of replacing a derailleur unless it is damaged.

I have been running a 32T Wolftooth chainring with a Sram X9, long cage, non clutch, 10 speed derailleur and I have not had one dropped chain either.

I have found that the 32T is perfect for the riding I do but I am pretty sure that in a few months time, I will change it to a 34T just for those extra few kms of speed on the downhills.

I currently top out at about 40-45km/h. This hasn't affected my ride times since its not often that I ride at that speed for long periods of time.