What size chainring is good on 1x10?

Craigwt

Hey all,

I recently started riding with a 1x10, 34t up front (on a 26er). I went for 2 rides over the week end, the first one was alright, but by the end of the second ride my legs were dead dead dead. So I would like to drop to a smaller chainring. Would a 32t make a noticeable difference, or should I drop to a 30t?

I'm concerned that the top end on a 30t is going to be too slow. Anyone have words of wisdom regarding this? :)

Or should I just HTFU and deal with the 34? :unsure:

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HTFU and deal with the 34T

If you don't like going fast down hill you can go smaller but you are going to spin out easily

what cassette are you running?

HTFU and deal with the 34T

If you don't like going fast down hill you can go smaller but you are going to spin out easily

what cassette are you running?

Yoh, you guys are making me unhappy now, that 34 was tough this week end. :(

I'm running an 11-36 at the back...

Edited by Craigwt

The 34 is a good all-rounder (29er). its horses for courses. a 32 will be better if riding around Sabie (plenty of climbing), and a 36 will work better for this weekends Down and Dirty (much flatter, with fewer very steep climbs)

Edited by Li Mu Bai

whats the range on the cassette? if you have an 11-36, you can up to an 11-38 or 11-41 and keep the 34t up front.

What chainring are you running?

I've noticed that te dedicated ring like Wolftooth pedals noticeably more efficient than standard shift chainrings. I assume its because of the longer teeth

I've ridden quite a few rides with lots of steep climbing with 32t on 29er trailbike, but are going down to 30t now. HTFU and stick to the 34 on the 26er.

Hi Guys,excuse the ignorance,if you currently run a 2x10 (29/36) with and 11/36 at the back would the ratio be the same (very close) as a 1 x 10 (34) with an 11/41?

On my 29er training bike I use a 32T - 11-36 Cassette and what I notices is at speed I seem to spin out but lets be honest how often do you hit speeds over 50Km/h on a MTB. I was thinking of going to a 34T but I'll stick to 32T for now

On my 29er training bike I use a 32T - 11-36 Cassette and what I notices is at speed I seem to spin out but lets be honest how often do you hit speeds over 50Km/h on a MTB. I was thinking of going to a 34T but I'll stick to 32T for now

im also liking the 32t but will definitely move to the 34t mid next year

why go 1x10 if you are not fit enough for that format !! Stick to 2x10 until you can!! then go back to 1x10

I'm guessing cos he just bought the bike and that's what the previous owner was running.

why go 1x10 if you are not fit enough for that format !! Stick to 2x10 until you can!! then go back to 1x10

I'm guessing cos he just bought the bike and that's what the previous owner was running.

Exactly. :)

I can change to 2x10, but its going to cost me and I quite like the 1x10, just thought maybe I was a bit weak for a 34t up front... looks like I'll just have to give it some more time... kinda force myself to get stronger :)