Calling on the Brake Fraternaties.

Helpmytrap

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Front feels good, I've done a few rides with it. I've only done one ride now with the rear brake, so I can't yet say as the braking I did was just to get the pads bedded in.

I do need to bleed the rear brake though as they are spongy, air probably got in when I shortened the hose. It was a real mission shortening the hose, the insert refused to slip back in and I could only manage to get it 2/3 of the way in.

Do you have braided hoses?

Those things are damn near impossible to get the olive over the braid.

But you do need to have the olive properly over the hose, ie the end of the olive must be minimum completely over the hose. You can very carefully lever the olive open a bit to make it easier as the hope ones are split.

Bleeding is easy on hopes though, I just open the bleed nipple on the caliper and pump half a bottle of fluid through, hope says you need to open and close the nipple on each stroke of the lever but I just leave it open, my rears is now sharp, was a little spongy before. On the rear just make sure the caliper is at the lowest point, often with rear hose routing the hose runs beneath the level of the caliper - taking off the calliper is then maybe a good option

I had no issue with the olive, what I landed up doing was prying it open and sliding it down the non-braided hose to the point where I wanted to cut. I then used it as a guide/surface the keep the blade against while cutting, it worked out quite well that way. It was the brass insert that I had trouble with (below).

http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mgqssDEnFmTC_35OhyvgX1A.jpg

I'll try bleeding them again today, my time has been limited over the last few days.

I can't remember having any issue with that part, if I remember correctly I kept the olive up the hose away from the end , then twisted/turned that brass insert thing in till it was flush with the end of the hose and then pulled down the olive over the end of the hose. Did you read the instructions from hope about the hose shortening , there was some technique to fitting those bits on the hose

just buy the cheap M596 or M615 deores. Less than R1500 for a set. And they work very very well. Hell, at that price, somme buy 2 sets (not that you'll ever need the spare set)

I was lucky in that I was able to swap my M596's for a set of new XT's with a mate of mine - he was selling his 26er. Apart from the ability to set the lever travel on the XT's, (and of course the bling XT logos), I think the M596's were actually better at stopping than the XT's.......

Other than "put it all back together", no. In the Hope Technologies YouTube video, the guy simply slides the insert back in without any effort at all.

He also just slid it out to begin with, after sliding the olive down I had to cut the hose down layer by layer in order to get the insert out because if I just rotated and pulled, the inner hose pulled with the insert.