Calling on the Brake Fraternaties.

Helpmytrap

I currently have a set of Shimano 2012 XTs (M785)

I have already had the rear brake lever and calliper replaced under warranty, and now I'm sitting in a position where both the front and rear need to go in for replacement because on both units the master cylinder gets stuck and as a result the brakes don't release. The same reason why the first brake was replaced.

My LBS told me that there (apparently) was a fault on the production line which is why the XT brakes are malfunctioning over time. I know of about 3 people who had the same issue. They then told me that Shimano will only have stock of the necessary parts mid December, another mate confirmed this at another LBS while looking for Ice-Tech rotors.

I have already "replaced" the front brake in the mean time with an Avid XX, which is a revolting crock of... It is now 2 weeks after having made that temporary arrangement that the rear brake has now given up the ghost as well. I'm in no mood to put the matching XX rubbish on my bike.

My question is, what is a good alternative (which already excludes any Avid) to the XT brake with a similar price tag, ie max 3k rahnds?

post-35204-0-94813200-1383590228_thumb.jpg

Edited by Helpmytrap

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth which is why I'm looking elsewhere for a brake set.

I know that feeling. After cracking the ceramic piston twice on the front XTR Race brakes I got super gatvol and went to Hope. Never looked back. Havn't touched them in almost 2 years. Original brakepads and they get hammered hard on rides to stop my 100kg ass and 16kg bike.

Hopes, if they're too expensive, just buy a rear brake. Hope rear brake still better the a full set of other gemors.

I need a full set though. :wacko:

I really hate being "that" guy but seriously look at the Hope Race X2. Can be found online for around that price if you shop smart.

Otherwise go for the SLX.

On CRC the Race X2 is R1903 excl for the front and R1950 excl for a SLX set.

Evo are out of stock but R2095 for the SLX set.

I need a full set though. :wacko:

On CRC the Race X2 is R1903 excl for the front and R1950 excl for a SLX set.

Evo are out of stock but R2095 for the SLX set.

R3780 shipped from Merlin Cycles. Also check with Jason at International Trade. He might have a secondhand set or maybe even know of a set.

R3780 shipped from Merlin Cycles. Also check with Jason at International Trade. He might have a secondhand set or maybe even know of a set.

International Trade, are they the distributors?

International Trade, are they the distributors?

indeed. If you want to get a feel for the Race X2 let me know. You are welcome to try my bike with them fitted. I did upgrade the hoses to braided and I'm running 203mm rotors but you should get a very good idea if you like them or not.

Edited by Maxxis

R3780 I cold probably stomach, barely though. So the secondhand set seems way more realistic on a student budget, hopefully something I could offset with selling the replaced XTs.

My other issue is that I've got the 24hr and Namib Desert Dash in December, so I've got a bit of a deadline...

Oh, do you know where one can get XT shifter clamps? Since my shifters attach to the brake levers.

R3780 I cold probably stomach, barely though. So the secondhand set seems way more realistic on a student budget, hopefully something I could offset with selling the replaced XTs.

My other issue is that I've got the 24hr and Namib Desert Dash in December, so I've got a bit of a deadline...

Oh, do you know where one can get XT shifter clamps? Since my shifters attach to the brake levers.

Hope matchmakers. Will need to check compatibility. I know they do one for the XTR shifters I have. XT shouldnt be a problem.

Im almost 100% sure you can get a secondhand set for around R3000. Just a matter of finding them.

Hope matchmakers. Will need to check compatibility. I know they do one for the XTR shifters I have. XT shouldnt be a problem.

Im almost 100% sure you can get a secondhand set for around R3000. Just a matter of finding them.

Will it be a matter of browsing the classifieds or doing some proper skilled in depth shopping? ;)

Does your shifters have this little "arm" on it?

http://www.bicyclestore.com.au/product_images/c/063/shimano-deore-xt-sl-m780-ispec-lever-left__38657_zoom.jpg

Edited by Helpmytrap

It's left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth which is why I'm looking elsewhere for a brake set.

What mileage have you done?

Are you a heavy braker?

I have done close to 1000km on mine and brakes are still good with no issues.Most of the guys i ride with are on XT or XTR and this is the first time we heard of it.

What mileage have you done?

Are you a heavy braker?

I have done close to 1000km on mine and brakes are still good with no issues.Most of the guys i ride with are on XT or XTR and this is the first time we heard of it.

I've done about 12000km on them, the front is still on its first set of pads and I'm only 63kg. I'm a little heavier on rear pads as a result of wheelying. :D

I bought the bike last year June and most of those miles are on open roads. I'm not heavy on braking and I bleed the brakes when the need arises.

The cases that I know of were all with the M785 brakes. I'm not sure how true the LBS's story is about a fault on the production line but it cannot be a coincidence that four people that I know of have had this exact issue.